Olofinjana & Lita - SWFC then serious promotion contenders ?

Personally I'm not fussed about us signing Oli. We could and should be signing better. He's in his thirties, injury prone and strikes me as someone who will just be content to get a contract and then lack desire on the pitch.

I'd be delighted if we sign either Lita or Billy Sharp. Both players who have that knack of popping up in the right place at the right time in the box. For me it's crucial to have at least one player like that on your books. They're worth a fair few points on their own over a season.

All in all we're not too far away from where we should be now. Most people seem to be either one way or the other it terms of how we're going to do. We are either poo or we're going up. In reality, we are pretty steady. There's a fair few teams that are clearly stronger, but there's also a fair few that are clearly worse.

If we sign these two, or equivalent, then we can push on, although promotion might be a bit too soon. It's not difficult to see why the mood would have changed, in the space of 24 hours we will have addressed the remaining gaps in our championship squad. Hopefully we can get this done today so we can tackle what could be our trickiest fixture with a bit more confidence.

Lita & Olofinjana would make me feel that mid-table is required & realistic  -  top 10 if we have a good run & sign good players on loan.

With the team as it is RIGHT NOW, promotion is a long way away - even via the play-offs.  We should avoid relegation, but wouldn't be surprised to see us down there for large parts of the season.

Don't forget we ended last season with Holden, Olofinjana, Lita & (a lil bit) Wickham.  All 4 are Premier League quality players & without them, we cannot be serious / ambitious / stupid enough to go for promotion.

Last year we were in a relegation scrap til the last day.

We needed 5 or 6 quality players to replace those outgoing, yet we've added two players with no experience at this level and one of our ex-loanees.

Maybe saying we're dead certs for relegation right now is an exaggeration, but no more so than claiming we're pushing on for promotion with just two new signings.

A quality midfielder (not Olofinjana) and a striker (Lita) and I'd be happy we'd be competitive, but still well short of being play-off standard.

Edited by KivoOwl

I think Oli and Holdens contribution is been overstated slightly. Don't get me wrong they were steady players but that's all. Lita for me was the turning point. Take his goals out against Charlton, Palace and Ipswich and we would have been down with weeks to spare. He should still be our priority signing.

We needed 5 or 6 quality players to replace those outgoing, yet we've added two players with no experience at this level and one of our ex-loanees.

Maybe saying we're dead certs for relegation right now is an exaggeration, but no more so than claiming we're pushing on for promotion with just two new signings.

A quality midfielder (not Olofinjana) and a striker (Lita) and I'd be happy we'd be competitive, but still well short of being play-off standard.

Half the division was in a relegation scrap on the last day.

This

I think Oli and Holdens contribution is been overstated slightly. Don't get me wrong they were steady players but that's all. Lita for me was the turning point. Take his goals out against Charlton, Palace and Ipswich and we would have been down with weeks to spare. He should still be our priority signing.

I think you've underestimated their importance to us when they joined us.

Both players knew how to win the ball, lift their head up and pass it convincingly.  Olofinjana has experiance, skill, confidence, quality & strength  -  him (or someone like him) is desperately needed.

Guest oz_owl

Didn't Peterborough set a record for most points accumulated by a relegated team?  If not they must have been pretty close.  Our total would have put us safe at least a few games before the end of the most seasons.  Plus we ended up only 10 points off the last play off spot.  And that was after an awful run in the first half of the season where DJ made multiple changes to personnel and formations searching for the right combination of players.

We've had less churn in personnel this season and come in off the back of a second half that put us amongst the lead leaders if you extrapolated it over a full season.

So I think there are multiple reasons to be optimistic about the season.

Of course we certainly could be involved at the wrong end.  But at this stage saying we're dead certs for relegation is ludicrous.