Took my stepson to Hillsborough yesterday for his first ever football match (or Pootball as he calls it). Decided to sit at the very front of the South so that he would be able to see as he is a bit of a short ass......absolutely loved it. He joined in all the singing and chanting, albeit a second or so late and way out of tune but he was so infectious that many around seemed to be embarassed into joining in. 25,000 people there and he probably said hello to 20,000 of 'em! Every time any one of our African extraction players got the ball he was on his feet shouting "come on JJ!"....brilliant! As for bouncing, he can't get enough of it....sang it all the way home and had the car bouncing up and down on the motorway!

Back to Kop next time for me though cos the only downside was the lack of atmosphere though it was a small price to pay. If I can find seats that are imediately behind a gangway then Luke will be coming too....mind you, I'm not sure he would let me go without him now! Really think he will enjoy REALLY being in with the singers and bouncers.

Best day at Hillsborough all season for me, wish I'd done it before.

post-23806-0-47528200-1365312159_thumb.j

I hope one day I have a son to take to Hillsborough, it must be a great feeling for that first game with them.

Unfortunately now though you've probably introduced him to years of disappoint following us.

Hah! we all know that disapointment feeling!.....but luckily for him he won't understand that, being Downes......it was the atmosphere, spectacle and being "one of the lads" that he enjoyed the most.

My son begged to go today again. He gets a bit scared of the noise but its fantastic that he wants to go. Great feeling.

I've even managed to avoid conscription for him so he can go in his terns and enjoy it.

My son begged to go today again. He gets a bit scared of the noise but its fantastic that he wants to go. Great feeling.

I've even managed to avoid conscription for him so he can go in his terns and enjoy it.

Glad Luke had a good time.....and he keeps up his win record.

Brilliant to read this. My 4 year old has made a few visits with me over the past couple of years, but last week v Barnsley was probably the biggest game she'd been to.

After the game she wouldn't stop bouncing (thankfully she didn't sing the words!!) and wouldn't stop asking when she could go again!!

Nice one mate, glad your son enjoyed the match and atmosphere. Thats what it's all about, bringing your kids and introducing them to The Wednesday just as my dad did with me all those years ago.

I took my teenage daughter for the first time this season and she loved it, this wasn't her first game but you know what teenagers are like, she's been more interested in hanging out with her mates lately.

We are expecting another baby 2nd June and can't wait to bring it [dont know if boy/girl yet] to the ground once it's old enough.

Guest owzat

I remember the day I took the eldest lad. Hes 11 now. And loves it. Now I have 3 sons and have made sure theyall follow the wednesday

Do you mean black players?

That's right Wayne! Well done.

Nice story to read first thing on a sunday morning.

Awesome he got some of the south singing.

I used to look after a lad with downes a few years back and he was an absolute diamond. Great sensecof humour and such a softy.

I took my eldest (4) to the Cardiff game the other week as his first game. he loved it. Meeting Ozzie was of course his highlight and he thinks the Owls won, so he is yet to feel the disappointment of defeat in the same way that I do. Mind you he's had enough after about 80 minutes of the game which funnily enough was about my limit too!