Terry Curran...that crazy thing he did...

Terry Curran Sheffield Wednesday

Published on Saturday 13 October 2012 09:20

FORMER Wednesday hero Terry Curran has said sorry to Owls and Blades fans over the controversial move that he made to Bramall Lane.

His apology comes in his autobiography where he also describes the transfer as the biggest mistake of his career.

Curran was idolised by Wednesday supporters, was the star player of Jack Charlton’s promotion side, scored in the 4-0 Boxing Day Massacre against United, and had swapped Southampton and the top flight for Hillsborough because he was an Owls fan.

He also expected to sign a new deal at the end of his contract - but it was one of the biggest controversies in Sheffield football in the last 30 years when he rejected Big Jack’s offer and acceped United’s better one.

A tribunal then fixed the fee at £100,000 - less than half of what Wednesday were asking.

“Of all the decisions I have made in my whole life, moving from Wednesday to their deadly rivals was without doubt the craziest of the lot,” says Curran in his book, Regrets of a Football Maverick.

“Getting my own back at Big Jack for not offering the terms I was looking for at Wednesday was a terrible reason to go to Bramall Lane. I can’t come up with a better one now, because that’s the truth.

“My only other excuse was my love of the Sheffield nightlife. I can only apologise to both sets of fans for what I did.”

Curran also says: “It has never been easy for anyone to move

from Wednesday to United or vice versea. But for a fans’ favourite, with Wednesday in his blood, it was totally impossible. I’d wasted no chance to rub United’s noses in it while I was at Hillsborough, a fact that true Unitedites weren’t going to forget in a hurry. I don’t blame them, to be honest. I let both sets of fans down and deserved most of the stick I got. Opinions differ on how well I played at Bramall Lane. I thought I did quite well in most of my 33 games but, whatever your opinion, I always gave 100 per cent.”

Only four months after signing for United in 1982, he was allowed to go to Everton - “The best team I played for,” he says

He sadds “I’m pleased that I played most games - 138 - and scored most goals - 39 - for Wednesday, the club I’ve supported as man and boy. I only wish I’d stay long enough to have pulled on an Owls shirt in the top flight and can only blame myself for making such a daft move to United.”

n Regrets of a Football Maverick, co-written with John Brindley, is a colourful account of the life and career of a flamboyant character who has many illuminating stories to tell. It is published by Vertical Editions, price £16.99.

Terry Curran Sheffield Wednesday

Published on Saturday 13 October 2012 09:20

FORMER Wednesday hero Terry Curran has said sorry to Owls and Blades fans over the controversial move that he made to Bramall Lane.

His apology comes in his autobiography where he also describes the transfer as the biggest mistake of his career.

Curran was idolised by Wednesday supporters, was the star player of Jack Charlton’s promotion side, scored in the 4-0 Boxing Day Massacre against United, and had swapped Southampton and the top flight for Hillsborough because he was an Owls fan.

He also expected to sign a new deal at the end of his contract - but it was one of the biggest controversies in Sheffield football in the last 30 years when he rejected Big Jack’s offer and acceped United’s better one.

A tribunal then fixed the fee at £100,000 - less than half of what Wednesday were asking.

“Of all the decisions I have made in my whole life, moving from Wednesday to their deadly rivals was without doubt the craziest of the lot,” says Curran in his book, Regrets of a Football Maverick.

“Getting my own back at Big Jack for not offering the terms I was looking for at Wednesday was a terrible reason to go to Bramall Lane. I can’t come up with a better one now, because that’s the truth.

“My only other excuse was my love of the Sheffield nightlife. I can only apologise to both sets of fans for what I did.”

Curran also says: “It has never been easy for anyone to move

from Wednesday to United or vice versea. But for a fans’ favourite, with Wednesday in his blood, it was totally impossible. I’d wasted no chance to rub United’s noses in it while I was at Hillsborough, a fact that true Unitedites weren’t going to forget in a hurry. I don’t blame them, to be honest. I let both sets of fans down and deserved most of the stick I got. Opinions differ on how well I played at Bramall Lane. I thought I did quite well in most of my 33 games but, whatever your opinion, I always gave 100 per cent.”

Only four months after signing for United in 1982, he was allowed to go to Everton - “The best team I played for,” he says

He sadds “I’m pleased that I played most games - 138 - and scored most goals - 39 - for Wednesday, the club I’ve supported as man and boy. I only wish I’d stay long enough to have pulled on an Owls shirt in the top flight and can only blame myself for making such a daft move to United.”

n Regrets of a Football Maverick, co-written with John Brindley, is a colourful account of the life and career of a flamboyant character who has many illuminating stories to tell. It is published by Vertical Editions, price £16.99.

Did we send the pigs Jason King instead of TC

Well it's pretty unanimous.

We all forgive you TC.

I started going to Hillsborough in the late 70's and before Bannister came along, Terry Curran was a God to me. Had mi own Wednesday shrine back in our old house and there were more pics of him darting down the wing and posing than any other.

I even had a pic of Dave Grant and Trevor Matthewson :ph34r:

I wonder if Tony Kenworthy will ever forgive him? gary megson

We need a TC smiley.

UTO!

Was sat in the stand at the Lane and when after the mazy run he unleashed the shot you could see it curling in all the way.

Think that along with Hirstys and Tudgays are the best 3 goals I've seen us score against them at the Lane since I started going in the early 60s.

The guy will always be a legend for me

I remember sometime late 70's I reckon when the F A said that goal celebrations were getting OTT and had to be scaled down. TC scored in front of the kop jogged to the centre spot stood there and bowed to all four sides of the ground and got booked for it.