THE ANSWER IS 5!

Guest PointlessOwl

We should line all our players up on the goal line, then when we get the ball let Rodri run with it with a circle of our players surrounding him.
I like your thinking. I saw this work once on Harry Enfield (Mr Chumley Warner). Could also try gluing the ball to someones boot!
lol Edited by jp1981

People complain about letting in to many goals, but rub off 5 defence. They complain about having no left winger, but rubbish off 5 defence where there would be 2 more attacking wingers! Crazy.

we'd never get out of our own half... :tango:

we might as well leave cog out and go 6 at the back...

we have the numbers, they need to be in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing...

Guest cypress hill

I thought you were saying we need to score 5 to get a win !!

i thought the question was, how many will wolves score in their next match

the answer is to resolve our injury problems, initially. Lines out, McCabe out, Buxton out, Bothroyd hobbled off, Lee had to be subbed with an ankle injury, Reda & Gardner have been in and out of the side through injury. DJ also said Kirkland had a back spasm preventing him from playing lastnight. that's quite a list. 'til we get over that and establish a settled side it's gonna be very difficult to improve...

Guest Owl of Reading

Players and team selection have been moved and changed so much this season that i have no idea what our best 11 would be not a f u c k ing clue.

The worrying thing is neither does DJ it would appear. I know injuries play a part, but until we get a reasonably settled side can't see us winning too many games.

A Sweeper plays behind the defence to clear up. An Anchor plays infront of the defence.

You are correct that man!

Perhaps I'm inventing a new role in a position......

I don't think Id want Reda playing as my last man behind the defence to be honest.........and we've already got an anchor / defensive midfielder in Semedo.

I'd like to see a player that can defend but also has enough 'football' to move forward with it.

Perhaps an anchor that isn't an anchor?

As someone has already said Llera or perhaps Reda in front of the back four but not purely defensively!

If I had to pick, I'd play a 4-1-2-2-1 (sort of a 4-3-3)

------------Kirland-------------

Buxton--Gardner--Taylor--Reda

------------Semedo-------------

------Barkley----McCabe--------

JJ-----------------------Antonio

------------Madine-------------

I'd play that too except swap Taylor for llera.

5 in defence would be an absolute clusterfick carnage carriage of doom

hahaha.

I think there are reasons few managers go for this.. Unless you know you're going to be really, really on the backfoot and defending deep for the entire game, it's surely going to be difficult to organise. The league games we're losing aren't ones we're totally out of. When you're competing for the ball in midfield and further up the pitch, I would think players from a defensive 5 would always have the temptation to move forward into space & not necessarily get back when there's meant to be so many other bodies about. Keeping track of who is responsible for who, etc could be tricky.

Having Semedo in front in a 4-1-4-1 makes sense, not miles away from a 4-5-1 of course. I'd expect DJ to go with a fairly defensive 5 e.g.

Antonio - McCabe - Semedo - Barkley - Pecnik. (Ie, no JJ)

I know it's not going to happen, but for the moment I'll still bang on about a 4-2-3-1 (with mccabe and semedo as the two; then Antonio, Barkley plus JJ, Rodri or Pecnik as the three)

That essentially has the flexibility to become a 4-5-1 when we don't have the ball, and accomadate our lack of a left winger, such that an attacking left-back could get forward on that side, with Semedo covering, and we'd still be solid across the middle/have forwards in the attack. But "listen" (as DJ cannot help himself saying).. what do I know.

In theory 3 at the back is a good way to go. A lot of the top teams are doing it. Juve won the Serie A last season with a back 3. Italy nullified Spain in the groups stage of the euros with this formation. Its has lots of benefits.

Granted we are not a 'top team' but we COULD play this and we have the player that could be effective. However, now would not be a good time to start 'having a go' at a back 3. If we were going to do this we would need to be doing this from day one in pre season not when we’re all over the shop, with an unsettled team, on a minging losing streak.

Also, DJ is a died in the wool 442 man so don’t think he's going to change his whole philosophy right now.

The answer is get everyone fit. Pick the best 4 players, hopefully playing in there preferred position, and stick with them so they hopefully start to develop an understanding.

We also have to defend better as a team. Massive cliché but that starts form the front. We also have very naive players when it comes to defending. Barkley was poor on Saturday in this respect (letting runners drift off him) and Antonio must improve the defensive side of his game too. Pecnik's defending is a joke. We are a collection of individuals at the moment and we need to turn into a team pretty quickly to improve our defending as a whole.

The worrying thing is neither does DJ it would appear. I know injuries play a part, but until we get a reasonably settled side can't see us winning too many games.

Eggs xactly

In theory 3 at the back is a good way to go. A lot of the top teams are doing it. Juve won the Serie A last season with a back 3. Italy nullified Spain in the groups stage of the euros with this formation. Its has lots of benefits.

Granted we are not a 'top team' but we COULD play this and we have the player that could be effective. However, now would not be a good time to start 'having a go' at a back 3. If we were going to do this we would need to be doing this from day one in pre season not when we’re all over the shop, with an unsettled team, on a minging losing streak.

Also, DJ is a died in the wool 442 man so don’t think he's going to change his whole philosophy right now.

The answer is get everyone fit. Pick the best 4 players, hopefully playing in there preferred position, and stick with them so they hopefully start to develop an understanding.

We also have to defend better as a team. Massive cliché but that starts form the front. We also have very naive players when it comes to defending. Barkley was poor on Saturday in this respect (letting runners drift off him) and Antonio must improve the defensive side of his game too. Pecnik's defending is a joke. We are a collection of individuals at the moment and we need to turn into a team pretty quickly to improve our defending as a whole.

Ouch my eyes