4-5-1 on Saturday

Its up to DJ to recognise he could play there, and then up to him and the rest of his coaching team to mould him and teach him the things he doesn't know, i.e...

'you don't have to win every tackle, there are other players, don't get sent off to often if you have to let a player go occassionally then let him go,'

as well as,

'once you have the ball, just knock it to Mcabe or Barkley and let them do the ball work.'

Very simple, he is a professional footballer and therefore has a level of ability that can be worked with. Its up to the coaching staff to mould him.

why waste time training johnson to be a midfielder when we have barkley, macabe, semedo, corry and lines who can all play there and if reda plays in midfield who plays left back?

I would love to see a 451 played where we actually closed down from the front, played a pressing game with high tempo passing.

Unfortunately at the minute as the players are bereft of confidence none of this appears possible.

I will settle for sticking with the same players for 2 matches running and gaining some consistency and confidence in what players expect each other to do. If you don't play together often you can't second guess runs off the ball etc.

Its up to DJ to recognise he could play there, and then up to him and the rest of his coaching team to mould him and teach him the things he doesn't know, i.e...

'you don't have to win every tackle, there are other players, don't get sent off to often if you have to let a player go occassionally then let him go,'

as well as,

'once you have the ball, just knock it to Mcabe or Barkley and let them do the ball work.'

Very simple, he is a professional footballer and therefore has a level of ability that can be worked with. Its up to the coaching staff to mould him.

Why on earth would we do that though?

I mean, I've listed the numerous attributes (or lack of) he has, so why would a professional football club, with little financial worries and midfielders of the calibre of McCabe, Barkley, Semedo, Corry and Lines to choose from spend time on the training ground and give game time on a Saturday to CB, turned LB who might just dominate, but in all likelyhood won't. In fact, I'm certain he would be a complete failure.

A crazy idea and one we won't ever see thankfully.

Edited by BRADDAZ

4-4-2 is fine when the opposition is also playing 4-4-2. We have pace out on the wings and match the opposition man-for-man in midfield.

The problem is that a lot of teams nowadays aren't playing 4-4-2. It's often some variation on 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, which means that Wednesday are often a man short in midfield. In most games this season, Wednesday simply haven't had a grip on the middle third, and this is mainly because we're a man light, leaving Semedo and friends with too much to do. I'm convinced this is part of the reason why we seem to have reverted to a bit of the old hoof recently.

I do think we need to start matching teams in midfield to stop it from being overrun. 4-5-1 / 4-3-3, with the two wide players cutting inside and getting beyond the striker.

why waste time training johnson to be a midfielder when we have barkley, macabe, semedo, corry and lines who can all play there and if reda plays in midfield who plays left back?

Why on earth would we do that though?

I mean, I've listed the numerous attributes (or lack of) he has, so why would a professional football club, with little financial worries and midfielders of the calibre of McCabe, Barkley, Semedo, Corry and Lines to choose from spend time on the training ground and give game time on a Saturday to CB, turned LB who might just dominate, but in all likelyhood won't. In fact, I'm certain he would be a complete failure.

A crazy idea and one we won't ever see thankfully.

We have other midfielders yes, for me...

lines wont be good enough at this level, despite having a good end to the season, im happy for him to prove me wrong

semedo is limited in terms of the ground he covers

mcabe is good but i think better going forward all though he has an engine he isnt really big enough, does well defensively dont get me wrong btu does dominate the whole area

barkley we need to leave as the ball player, with two solid player behind him (reda and mcabe/semedo) to link defence and attack, one of our main problems

Reda has his flaws but hes the only one that would really dominate that whole midfield area and soak up most attacks as well as being able to get box to box.

It makes sense

4-4-2 is fine when the opposition is also playing 4-4-2. We have pace out on the wings and match the opposition man-for-man in midfield.

The problem is that a lot of teams nowadays aren't playing 4-4-2. It's often some variation on 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, which means that Wednesday are often a man short in midfield. In most games this season, Wednesday simply haven't had a grip on the middle third, and this is mainly because we're a man light, leaving Semedo and friends with too much to do. I'm convinced this is part of the reason why we seem to have reverted to a bit of the old hoof recently.

I do think we need to start matching teams in midfield to stop it from being overrun. 4-5-1 / 4-3-3, with the two wide players cutting inside and getting beyond the striker.

Been saying exactly the same thing. I also think this could by why Semedo is not looking as effective as he was last season. We constantly seem to be a man light in midfield and he's been chasing shadows a bit.

Been saying exactly the same thing. I also think this could by why Semedo is not looking as effective as he was last season. We constantly seem to be a man light in midfield and he's been chasing shadows a bit.

Agree with both of you completely.

Unfortunately the fact is that 4-4-2 is fast becoming outdated in the top 2 English divisions as it is already in the other top leagues in Europe (La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1).

Playing 4-4-2 means that we can't keep the ball well enough leading to us constantly chasing the ball & being under pressure from the better passing teams.

Time for a change of philosophy please DJ.