1992/3 - Was that a better squad than 1991/2?

91/92 team contained Bart-Williams, Woods, Jemson and Harkes already.

92/93 team was better entirely because of Waddle, and because mid-season Warhurst discovered he was the hottest striker in the country.

But yeah - best team we've had in my lifetime, and I'd wager it would give even the 1961 team a run for its money.

Woods over Turner? Really?

I know Woods was England keeper but he was flippingshybo

I dunno. I kinda think many people remember the cup final and the boiiock he dropped and that taints him..

Thought he had some pretty good games overall and was a good keeper.. Defo better than Turner..

But not quite as good as Pressman. TBH

91/92 team contained Bart-Williams, Woods, Jemson and Harkes already.

92/93 team was better entirely because of Waddle, and because mid-season Warhurst discovered he was the hottest striker in the country.

But yeah - best team we've had in my lifetime, and I'd wager it would give even the 1961 team a run for its money.

I can't remember the details of the 91/92/93 teams tbh.. only going from the team photos.. did they come in during the season or at the start

He wasn't bad - as DD says, I think people mainly remember his bad stuff (cup final, game against pigs).

I thought he was class but will never forgive that cup final mistake

Oh and yeah - 92/93 definitely the best squad

The 92-93 team was the 91/92 team plus Waddle and Woods so surely it was better.

If it had been today, the 92/93 team would probably have finished higher up the league as they would have prioritised 4th place before either of the cups. However, finishing 4th would be have far less memories than those of the 2 cup runs.

Guest FanthamOfTheOpera

The 92/93 squad/team was undoubtedly better man-for-man than the previous season.....really staggers me to think what Atkinson could've done with those players. Especially when you look at what happened to the first Premier League champions in the next 20 years. And what happened to us.

It was all very exciting!!

Defo better individually, but as a team not sure!

90/91 91/92 & 92/93 all great teams but I just think that Francis wasn't as good as Atkinson so as a team we got worst & worst!

I remember Hirsty saying at the Evening With at Crookes WMC that they were that good they didn't need a manager at that point.

Woods was a tremendous shot stopper. For a while he was one of the best I've seen at Hillsborough. But when the ball was in the air he was notoriously poor. And if the crowd got on his back after a mistake he became a nervous wreck, prompting more calamities.

I would say on paper the 1993-94 squad was the best as we added Des Walker and Andy Sinton to the already excellent squad.

That team should have won something that season but injuries to Hirst and the departure of Warhurst cost us. Plus Sinton just did not live up to his QPR form, let's not forget he turned down Arsenal to come to us a massive coup at the time.

I dunno. I kinda think many people remember the cup final and the boiiock he dropped and that taints him..

Thought he had some pretty good games overall and was a good keeper.. Defo better than Turner..

But not quite as good as Pressman. TBH

It wasn't the cup game that taints him for me..it was his totally ineptperformance in the 3-1 home defeat to the snorters.Came out window cleaning for a cross and let one through his legs.Didn't like him after that! Never rated him

I think the problem for Woods is he made his 2 biggest howlers in the 2 of the clubs massive games Cup Final Replay and the home game v the pigs. I do remember and it shows on the season reviews that he had blinders in a lot of games and was a very good shop stopper and organiser of his defence, he did however struggle with the physical aspect of commanding his box and the physical teams like the pigs knew this and exposed it as much as possible. Still for me he was light years ahead of Turner and a better keeper that KP but just.

A lot of you may taunt me but I genuinely believe that this side waddle and Co 92/93 sqaud if playing in the premiership would more than hold their own against the huge money players. Definitely a top 8 maybe even top 6. They were awesome.

Edited by bigjimmy