1992/3 - Was that a better squad than 1991/2?

A lot of you may taunt me but I genuinely believe that this side waddle and Co 92/93 sqaud if playing in the premiership would more than hold their own against the huge money players. Definitely a top 8 maybe even top 6. They were awesome.

Wouldn't say they were awesome mate, think you are looking back with rose tinted specs.They were good but it's difficult to compare todays prem teams to this team. The game is moretechnical and definately quicker. I think we would be mid table, maybe 10th at a push.

I think the problem for Woods is he made his 2 biggest howlers in the 2 of the clubs massive games Cup Final Replay and the home game v the pigs. I do remember and it shows on the season reviews that he had blinders in a lot of games and was a very good shop stopper and organiser of his defence, he did however struggle with the physical aspect of commanding his box and the physical teams like the pigs knew this and exposed it as much as possible. Still for me he was light years ahead of Turner and a better keeper that KP but just.

This is true but looking at the photo he was actually tall and well built - bigger than Pressman. He just didn't have any presence and wasn't at all vocal with his defence. He dropped serveral rounduns for england around 92/3 and they got rid and his confidence driffted. Still remember the day it was anounced we've signed him though - a proper coup, like the sinton signing later, we really were in the big league and were taken seriously. Remember nearly signing Shearer in the summer of 92 from Southampton but blackburn's millions won out - great days

Guest Ozzieowlpelvicthrust

1992/93 squad was definately stronger of the two. Also under Francis we played abit more direct and used Brighty to bring the ball down and bring the others into play and this was effective, more pace in that side also. The 1990/91 team tended to build from the back will the ball rolled out to the full backs.

Think we finished 7th in '93 which considering the poor start we had in the league up til christmas was miraculous. If we had had a normal start we would have been pushing for the title again. Happy days!

Edited by Ozzieowlpelvicthrust

On paper at least, I agree with De Bilde. Sinton could have worked out so differently.

Walker was a much better defender than Shirtliff, and Pearson -had he not broken his leg straight away - would have been a brilliant partner for him. Hirsty as well had a second terrible injury that kept him out for most of the middle of the season.

At one point in that season we would have probably had 5 of the England first XI playing for us.

Add to that how good Ryan Jones was for us through the middle part of 93/94 (remember, we had another TERRIBLE start then rose from 17th to 4th between about November and February) - we really were an excellent side with true strength in depth.

This is true but looking at the photo he was actually tall and well built - bigger than Pressman. He just didn't have any presence and wasn't at all vocal with his defence. He dropped serveral rounduns for england around 92/3 and they got rid and his confidence driffted. Still remember the day it was anounced we've signed him though - a proper coup, like the sinton signing later, we really were in the big league and were taken seriously. Remember nearly signing Shearer in the summer of 92 from Southampton but blackburn's millions won out - great days

Shame we could not maintain the momentum and bag the last few pieces of the jigsaw. Great times which have made the recent past so painful!