Michael Owen

i wouldn't want him because he's openly underlined his intention not to drop down a division - it is not a footballing decision. why chase or desire a player that has already effectively ruled us out...?

Fair point. It's a good reason not to want him, but what a player states and what he's saying to try to arrange better wages wherever he does end up could be open to debate I suppose. But from a playing ability point of view surely there's no argument about him being good enough?

Guest tha_knows

To be honest I think he should hang up his boots and concentrate on his stables and horses, he's invested a lot into it and by the sounds of it, its very impressive

Guest wilyfox

Fair point. It's a good reason not to want him, but what a player states and what he's saying to try to arrange better wages wherever he does end up could be open to debate I suppose. But from a playing ability point of view surely there's no argument about him being good enough?

no-one in their right mind could say that Michael Owen isn't good enough; but it is fair to question his ambition and fitness record. couldn't lure him, couldn't afford him, and probably couldn't keep him fit either. there isn't a choice to be made.

Guest Red Owl

Owen was class a decade ago, at Liverpool. Not at any of the other clubs (although he has a good scoring rate for Man Utd; he gets brought on against cup opposition and is given service by some world-class players).

His game relied on pace, which he lost long ago - that type of player is best in their early 20s, and would in no way justify the wages he'd be on. And saying that he used to be the best player in Europe means he'd be good now is the same kind of logic that saw us get Jeffers, because he was alright at Everton.

Madness.

Michael Owen was at Hillsborough this week, paper work and contract lined up then suddenly decided with his big ego that he's not going to drop down. Stoke offer pay as you play though? I mean you're dropping down a league but it's good times here and you'll have a good contract playing infront of 20,000+ supporters a week. Not to mention the away support, thoughts?

A shame. Young Michael is an up and coming star. :cool:

Can't believe some people are saying they wouldn't want Owen. Wot a load of tosh. This is Michael Owen ffs. Maybe his best days are behind him but if stays fit for a while and that's a big if, he would bs quality in the championship. Owen for Wednesday we can only dream. Get a grip guys.

Also could have some substance as I was told he could be comin as well at match. Not just gossip either.

Reckon DJ could be covering strikers in case madine goes down n doesn't seem to rate Maguire at the moment.

Guest waistline ye diddle

Apologies if already posted, but found this quote interesting...

""The quality of the team and the manager is important and I'd prefer it to be in the Premier League," he told Sportsweek on BBC Radio 5 live.""

Not outright ruling a move to the Championship out...

Full article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19384958

Just been reading that. Get the feeling someone's not getting any offers? Praying that someone comes in for him last minute like united did 2 years ago. Getting in the press shouting "I'm still here!".

Not for a minute entertaining him signing though. Will end up at a Prem team on deadline day when someone needs one more striker urgently.