Michael Owen

Think the Bothroyd link is more credible as he offers something different, and DJ is a known admirer. Isn't Owen too similar in style to both Rodri and Maguire? Don't get me wrong, I'd happily have him here, its just that I think the Bothroyd story is more likely

Think the Bothroyd link is more credible as he offers something different, and DJ is a known admirer. Isn't Owen too similar in style to both Rodri and Maguire? Don't get me wrong, I'd happily have him here, its just that I think the Bothroyd story is more likely

Credible, maybe - but don't think he'd be a good signing. What will players like Maguire and Madine think if we signed a 30 year old prem striker on loan, pushing them further down the pecking order? How hungry would he be to succeed as well?

Guest wilyfox

i'm not a real Bothroyd fan - but i'd take him over Owen, because he's more likely to stay fit & show desire. Owen's career died a death at Newcastle. he's already said 10 times that he wouldn't drop a division anyway; he'd sooner retire...

I don't know what effect signing Bothroyd would have on Madine or Maguire, the same as any other decent striker arriving I suppose. Its highly unlikely that we would bring in another striker that wasn't first team ready. An experienced player like Bothroyd, who has played at the highest level, could be ideal foil for young Rodri don't you think?

Michael Owen was at Hillsborough this week, paper work and contract lined up then suddenly decided with his big ego that he's not going to drop down. Stoke offer pay as you play though? I mean you're dropping down a league but it's good times here and you'll have a good contract playing infront of 20,000+ supporters a week. Not to mention the away support, thoughts?

Thats rubbish as he did interview other day saying he wouldnt drop down from prem so he wouldnt even of interested the thought of coming never mind at hillsborough.

Guest wilyfox

I don't know what effect signing Bothroyd would have on Madine or Maguire, the same as any other decent striker arriving I suppose. Its highly unlikely that we would bring in another striker that wasn't first team ready. An experienced player like Bothroyd, who has played at the highest level, could be ideal foil for young Rodri don't you think?

to be honest, O'Grady looks a good foil for Rodri at the minute; he's been immense. i was concerned that Bothroyd might be too similar to Madine - but Madine might take a while to pull through in this division, and we do need an experienced striker on our books...

Guest swfc cuttsy

I agree with you all, he would never drop down and his wages are far too high... but i still think that if for whatever reason he ended up in the championship, he would be one of, if not THE top scorer. (providing he stayed fit for 2/3 of the season :biggrin:)

Guest Lita.swfc

He won't sign for us that's a guarantee, but anyone who wouldn't want him here is abit daft!! He'd be brilliant for rodri, cog and Madine. Lots of experience to pass on and he's played with the very best

what people say and what people do are always 2 seperate things though

But in the case of Michael Owen apparently it is.

What he's gone (if the OP is to be believed) i what he said. Personally, I don't believe there was ever any more than an initial expression of interest by DJ (if that).

Guest Sheff Owl
Michael Owen has ruled out dropping into the Championship, with the forward confident he can do a job in the Premier League despite his release from Manchester United.

When asked if he would drop down the divisions, Owen said: "I don't think the Championship would be an option. I feel I can certainly do a job. If you look at my record when I played for Manchester United, most of it was in the Carling Cup, I scored virtually every time I played so I don't think I've lost the ability to score goals or play at a high level.

"I certainly feel I can play in the top level. We will wait to see where that is. If it's not in the Premier League I may look further afield, but I don't think I will be going into the Championship."

Guest MASSIVEowl85

This is a lad who was very good in his day possibly one of the best around but given his proneness to being injured and the simple fact that even though hes only played about 5 mins in the last years his ego is telling him hes too good for anything outside the prem we really have no need or want for MO, we want players who realise what it means to play for sheffield wednesday and are greatfull to play for such a MASSIVE club please look elswhere DJ!!!

I actually dont think many prem clubs have tried to get him as he's been a free agent for ages and surely he'd have been snapped up by now. Maybe he's been to greedy and playing clubs off against each other. We'll have to wait and see wont we

Wasn't he offered 50k/week by a premiership club and he turned it down saying he wants 100k+?