matches you would rather forget about.

we all have some good memories of following wednesday over the years but which games would you rather forget but can't.

there is a couple that stick in my mind, a league cup replay at darlington in the 1970s. it was a bloody freezing cold night with trouble going off all over the place, it was like a battleground. wednesday lost 1-0 in the last minute with a screamer from ex wednesday player ronnie ferguson. we also broke down on A1 coming back from the match and had to stand outside in the snow for felt like hours until we managed to get a lift home in the early hours of the morning.

my first fa cup semi final v brighton 1983 at highbury, even though wednesday were second division at the time i really believed we were going to turn over 1st division brighton and play either man utd or arsenal at wembley, even after case scored from a free kick in the 1st half I still believed and when mirocevic equalised I genuinely though we would go on to win and probably should have when andy mcculloch had his header cleared off the line by an overhead kick by steve foster. I have never felt so heartbroken walking out of a match since.

any others people remember?

Edited by matt68owls

Semi final of the League Cup 1993/1994 Sheffield Wednesday vs Manchester United. Man Ure won 4-1 and it was dreadful (5-1 agg). In the end they were cheering every time they passed the ball and it seem to go on FOREVER.....There have been much worse times I've seen Wednesday play, but for some reason that one really sticks out!

Yeovil 2010 - 2011, 2-2, they had 9 men I believe. Michael Morrison pumping balls into the area from the right for 20 mins. When we equalised Tommy Spurr ran down the front of the North stand as if to say to the crowd "come on make some noise". I have never lost it as I did that night at him, could have run on and hit the stinky flaps.

Edited by jezb69swfc

There are a few stand out games during the 16 years I've been going namely.....

Wednesday 0 v 2 Sunderland (1999/2000) just when I thought we might get out of it along comes Kevin Phillips!

Wednesday 0 v 5 Wimbledon (2000/01) Somehow managed to concede 5 second half goals!

Wednesday 1 v 2 Sheff Utd (2000/01) My first derby league game at Hillsborough watching Warnock celebrate, horrible!

Wednesday 0 v 0 Grimsby Town (2002/03) Had to win to give ourselves a chance of staying up and bottled it!

The 2003/04 Season..

Wednesday 1 v 3 Brentford (2010/11) Lowest ever point as a Wednesday fan

Stevenage 5 v 1 Wednesday (2011/2012) Never turned up and the only time I've left early (on 70 minutes!!)

There are a few stand out games during the 16 years I've been going namely.....

Wednesday 0 v 2 Sunderland (1999/2000) just when I thought we might get out of it along comes Kevin Phillips!

Wednesday 0 v 5 Wimbledon (2000/01) Somehow managed to concede 5 second half goals!

Wednesday 1 v 2 Sheff Utd (2000/01) My first derby league game at Hillsborough watching Warnock celebrate, horrible!

Wednesday 0 v 0 Grimsby Town (2002/03) Had to win to give ourselves a chance of staying up and bottled it!

The 2003/04 Season..

Wednesday 1 v 3 Brentford (2010/11) Lowest ever point as a Wednesday fan

Stevenage 5 v 1 Wednesday (2011/2012) Never turned up and the only time I've left early (on 70 minutes!!)

Jesus I forgot about that game. All the goals at the Kop end as well I seem to remember.

Jesus I forgot about that game. All the goals at the Kop end as well I seem to remember.

Yes I had forgot that game, I think Andy Booth missed a sitter 30 secs into 2nd half and 20 mins later we were 4-0 down.

One I want to forget is away to Exeter where we lost 5-1 and got stuck in the snow on the way back.

Guest SunTzu

all of 2010 - 2011 season, with the exception of beating hartelpool 5-0

remember coming home from beating wallsall 3-0 on a tuesday night and still thinking we were crap

I also remember that game and yes, we were crap lol, they were just even worse. Glad the tide's finally turning though.

One of the worst moments for me for 7-2 loss at Blackburn in the late 90's. Terrible day, especially as one of my mates back then was a raging Rovers fan and I told him the day before we'd slaughter them...

Or being 3-1 up at derby in our last season in the prem. Half their fans had left the ground and they scored two in the dying minutes to send us down :( What was ridiculous was that we comfortably beat Arsenal and Leicester in the last two games, the team back then could play when they pulled their fingers out, they just couldn't deal with pressure.

Guest chapeltom

Here are three from a dreadful season. We really should have gone down that year.

Sheff Wed 2-6 Man City - Sep 2001

At 2-2 we looked ok then fell apart.

Sheff Wed 0-5 Norwich - Dec 2001

A lot of people started walking out after 35 minutes as we went 4-0 down. Just a 35 yard belter 2nd half, half the remaining crowd applauded it if I remember correctly.

Stockport 3-1 Sheff Wed - Apr 2002.

1-0 up at an already relegated Stockport then we fell apart. Worst part was we didn't get home till 10:30pm! As an accident blocked the Woodhead and our coach was sat there a while had to turn round and go back via the Snake.

Edited by chapeltom

Guest York-owl-chris

I remember loads of the above... But I don't want to forget.

It reminds me of the utter sh*te I've been through and yet I still come back. It'll make the bright future so much sweeter. We deserve this

I remember listening to the Yeovil game and being as depressed as I've ever been listening to a football match. It was just torture.

I also remember that game and yes, we were crap lol, they were just even worse. Glad the tide's finally turning though.

One of the worst moments for me for 7-2 loss at Blackburn in the late 90's. Terrible day, especially as one of my mates back then was a raging Rovers fan and I told him the day before we'd slaughter them...

Or being 3-1 up at derby in our last season in the prem. Half their fans had left the ground and they scored two in the dying minutes to send us down :( What was ridiculous was that we comfortably beat Arsenal and Leicester in the last two games, the team back then could play when they pulled their fingers out, they just couldn't deal with pressure.

We drew 3-3 with Aresnal.

Here are three from a dreadful season. We really should have gone down that year.

Sheff Wed 2-6 Man City - Sep 2001

At 2-2 we looked ok then fell apart.

Sheff Wed 0-5 Norwich - Dec 2001

A lot of people started walking out after 35 minutes as we went 4-0 down. Just a 35 yard belter 2nd half, half the remaining crowd applauded it if I remember correctly.

Stockport 3-1 Sheff Wed - Apr 2002.

1-0 up at an already relegated Stockport then we fell apart. Worst part was we didn't get home till 10:30pm! As an accident blocked the Woodhead and our coach was sat there a while had to turn round and go back via the Snake.

that norwich match was the first time i took my 2 nephews to a match, god knows how they weren't scarred for life. they are both now season ticket holders and are hopefully about to see the good times for the first time.

Losing 0-3 on opening game of 2004/05. Can't remember the opponents. Propper bubble bursting moment.

Though that season did end quite well.

i think it was colchester

Guest SunTzu

We drew 3-3 with Aresnal.

You are right :wacko: Was a long time ago... Try to remember the positives, sometimes create my own gary megson We DID beat Leicester 4-0 at Hillsborough though and even 3-3 at Arsenal back then showed great resolve. We were relegated though and have never really recovered, although we are certainly stirring again now lol