Gardener

Guest kiltonowl

Agree he's a bit injury prone, but other than that your opening sentence is utter tripe. Wasn't he Palace's player of the season last season? Also, Spurs obviously thought a lot of him to keep hold of him for so long.

We've played 2 competitive games so far and already the lynch mob are out in force. Batth was no Vidic when he first came to us, give him time ffs.

Did you go today?

Anyway I'm not just basing it on today....im an avid follower of football and i know Gardner is error prone...fact.

Another fact is Jonathan Parr was Crystal Palace's player of the year.

Just because Gardner was sat on spurs bench for so many years your suggesting that means he must be class? Im not even going to bother naming players who have been with big clubs a long time who are not that good...but the list is long!

Did you go today?

Anyway I'm not just basing it on today....im an avid follower of football and i know Gardner is error prone...fact.

Another fact is Jonathan Parr was Crystal Palace's player of the year.

Just because Gardner was sat on spurs bench for so many years your suggesting that means he must be class? Im not even going to bother naming players who have been with big clubs a long time who are not that good...but the list is long!

- Yes I did go today, what relevance does this have?

- I take my hat off to you being an "avid football follower". It must be time consuming following Wednesday AND following Gardner around the country to watch every game he's played in.

- Seen a few Palace fans say Gardner was their player of the season, it he wasn't the 'official' player of the season, he was still very highly though of by their fans at THIS level.

- Do clubs keep players for 8 years (probably 2 different contracts) to warm the bench? Doubtful.

Edited by eckington owl

Guest silvergusy

Gardner isn't better than llera so if we get another CB in (and I hope we do) then id drop Gardner. I also don't get why mattock is on the bench and reda starts. I know he scored today but I think he loses us more goals than he scores (give me defenders who defend first over goal scoring defenders).

Lastly, really hope cog carries on as he has and madine can form a partnership with him. Could be an awesome pairing.

Guest kiltonowl

- Yes I did go today, what relevance does this have?

- I take my hat off to you being an "avid football follower". It must be time consuming following Wednesday AND following Gardner around the country to watch every game he's played in.

- Seen a few Palace fans say Gardner was their player of the season, it he wasn't the 'official' player of the season, he was still very highly though of by their fans at THIS level.

- Do clubs keep players for 8 years (probably 2 different contracts) to warm the bench? Doubtful.

The fact you are judging a footballer based on who he has played for in lieu of their actual playing ability says it all. Hence my point about being a 'avid football fan'. ..my statement is based on watching him over the years.

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

I can guarantee you that within a month, or two, a counter Gardner thread will be posted saying how well he has performed. This is a nonsense thread.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

I'll get to see him for the first time (competitive) on Tuesday.*

Quite interested to see how he does.

He has pretty good pedigree and really did get some rave reviews from the Palace fans.

I do wonder whether he is one of those players that needs a bit of shouter alongside him, a leader type (A Rob Jones who can play in the Championship) to get the best out of him.

He doesn't strike me as someone who is going to take a game by the scruff of its neck so to speak.

Too early to be ruling anyone out, whether they be a new acquisition or someone from last season.

*If he isn't injured.

Edited by SiJ

The fact you are judging a footballer based on who he has played for in lieu of their actual playing ability says it all. Hence my point about being a 'avid football fan'. ..my statement is based on watching him over the years.

You said he's never been any good. You don't play for that period of time in the Premier League if you aren't any good.

I'm standing his corner because you're talking as if you have seen every match he's ever played - clearly you haven't.

He was Sought-after this summer and judging from reports had a very good season in the Championship last season. That's what I'm judging him on.

If he had played well today would you have come on here and say he's never been any good? - doubt it.

Guest kiltonowl

You said he's never been any good. You don't play for that period of time in the Premier League if you aren't any good.

I'm standing his corner because you're talking as if you have seen every match he's ever played - clearly you haven't.

He was Sought-after this summer and judging from reports had a very good season in the Championship last season. That's what I'm judging him on.

If he had played well today would you have come on here and say he's never been any good? - doubt it.

I said he has 'never been that good. error prone and laxidasical'.... i never said he is completely useless. Gardener needs to play with a leader to help him cut out the errors.

Reda is in the same mould....and my point was playing them together is not a good combination.

You described that as tripe because youve heard he did well for palace and sat on the bench at spurs for 8 years.

Many players are sought after and have played at a high level for years without doing a great deal...franny jeffers for one. I didnt want him but I would bet my bottom dollar you did!?

Titus Bramble is another....played at a high level but known for making mistakes. Need i go on?

I said he has 'never been that good. error prone and laxidasical'.... i never said he is completely useless. Gardener needs to play with a leader to help him cut out the errors.

Reda is in the same mould....and my point was playing them together is not a good combination.

You described that as tripe because youve heard he did well for palace and sat on the bench at spurs for 8 years.

Many players are sought after and have played at a high level for years without doing a great deal...franny jeffers for one. I didnt want him but I would bet my bottom dollar you did!?

Titus Bramble is another....played at a high level but known for making mistakes. Need i go on?

He's clearly shagged your missus!

I think we need to give him time to settle, we dont want another Purse situation.

Im more worried about his fitness rather than his ability. Injured already makes you ask the same questions as when we signed him.

Apparently 30 or so appearances a season is good for him *gulp*

I get the impression we need a leader at the back, as Rob Jones was last season in the tier below. I thought, from the Palace fans who said that he brought the best out of everyone, that he would do this. But it doesnt look that way so far.