Positives for me

1. Pecnik looks (once fully fit - i think he needs time to get used to the pace and quality of the play) like he could be a real asset; extremely pleasing i thought in the second half and even in the first he looked decent although him and Semedo need to buckle up on who is playing where.

2. Giles Coke; thought he did extremely well when he came on, never hurried in possession, always looking for an outlet. Calm controlled and steady, very much like Mr. Lines.

3. COGBA; what a performance tonight. He touch was deft, his strength was mammoth and his goals were poachers/ strikers goals. I'm not saying the lad is a world beater, but give him a job to do and he will do it. A very useful player to have in your team.

4. Kirkland; very good. Simply put a great performance, came to our rescue when needed.

5. Antonio and JJ; both explosive. I think with these pair we could worry many a defence. Blistering pace, physical ability and both put in a very good hardworking shift.

Only downsides for me were the full backs and Gardners distribution and general lack of match practice. I thought Buxton and Reda were a little off tonight but i am hoping normal service will be resumed against Derby.

Oh and Maguire, good tricky little player but a little bit snatchy and lightweight.

All in all 7/10 Wednesday, good warm up, good morale boost and another fine display of team/ club togetherness; the fans were tremendous!

WAWAW.

Agree with all that

regarding the fullbacks, I don't think it will be long till our new ones get their chance as they are probably more equipped for the passing style.

If we are going to build from the back we need fullbacks who can pick a pass and are comfortable on the ball.

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

1. Showed character after a poor start

2. Dave Jones can get a reaction from his players

3. Pecnik is a proper player

4. Chris O'Grady is f*cking better than Adam Le Fondre...

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

1. Pecnik looks (once fully fit - i think he needs time to get used to the pace and quality of the play) like he could be a real asset; extremely pleasing i thought in the second half and even in the first he looked decent although him and Semedo need to buckle up on who is playing where.

2. Giles Coke; thought he did extremely well when he came on, never hurried in possession, always looking for an outlet. Calm controlled and steady, very much like Mr. Lines.

3. COGBA; what a performance tonight. He touch was deft, his strength was mammoth and his goals were poachers/ strikers goals. I'm not saying the lad is a world beater, but give him a job to do and he will do it. A very useful player to have in your team.

4. Kirkland; very good. Simply put a great performance, came to our rescue when needed.

5. Antonio and JJ; both explosive. I think with these pair we could worry many a defence. Blistering pace, physical ability and both put in a very good hardworking shift.

Only downsides for me were the full backs and Gardners distribution and general lack of match practice. I thought Buxton and Reda were a little off tonight but i am hoping normal service will be resumed against Derby.

Oh and Maguire, good tricky little player but a little bit snatchy and lightweight.

All in all 7/10 Wednesday, good warm up, good morale boost and another fine display of team/ club togetherness; the fans were tremendous!

WAWAW.

6: we wouldn't have come back from 2-0 down 18 months ago

Personally,,I am over the moon that COG had a good game and got a couple of good goals,,,hope he gets more chances this season,, :biggrin:

To top tonight off,,while typing this Charlie Webster was on SSN having to report on our win,,,classic,, :biggrin:

I think we saw tonight, well in the first half anyway, the drawbacks of leaving a major chunk of your player recruitment until after the seasons started. On a positive note, a good away victory in what was always gonna be a tricky tie.

See what I did there JTO, a negative but swiftly followed by a positive. Better?

I was having to work whilst watching so had one eye on a laptop, other on the TV. Can someone who was watching more closely, tell me how we lined up second half? Because if we were more fluid, switching from 4-4-2 to 4-4-1 and 4-3-3, then this is the biggest positive of the night for me.

DJ came with rep for rigidly sticking to 4-4-2 and I just feel that we're going to be need to be a bit more flexible this season - partly because of the division, partly because of personnel. Really think the 4-5-1 moving into the 4-3-3, which has been so popular in Prem in recent years, could really suit us, esp. away from home. Let's JJ and Antonio off the leash a little more, whilst giving us more of a foothold in the centre. Not being so rigid also improves Pecnic's chances of being a success.

It was still a basic 442 although Pecnik did a bit of wandering, didn't wander too far though The ball seemed to stick better with the front two second half and Coke was more effective in the middle

I've always been against the one man up front tactic, seeing it as very negative, but I really think with JJ, Antonio, Pecnic we shouldn't be scared of using it. Think with those players, could be really effective absorbing pressure and hitting on the break.

It may seem a weird one, but a positive tonight will come from going in 2-0 down. Obviously Jones made it completely aware that the kind of performance in the first 45minutes was not acceptable. I don't think we'll perform as poorly as that again this season.