Di canio or waddle

Waddle wins the OP question for me. By a long way.

The Di Canio incident was poorly handled certainly but what he did was silly. However, at the time of the incident, we (me, my dad & uncle Roy) sat in the South Stand about 8 rows behind the dugouts and witnessed Patrick Viera slapping a copper. Anyone else see it?

I saw a huge ruckus as Viera walked into the tunnel. Everyone suddenly diving in. But didn't see the cause of it.

Thing about Di Canio on that day was he was kicked all over the pitch from kick off and never got anything off the ref. That's why he lost it, and why he was so angry with the ref when he was sent off.

Guest styledoctor

Waddle. Not even a close contest. Di Canio hardly ever fancied it away from home, and although brilliant to watch was a complete lunatic driving the crowd mad with his Italian-ness like waving cards at the ref and throwing strops. Top class entertainment though, but Waddle was a full on Wednesday genius. Even though his England career was over because of Graham Taylor, Waddle saved his best club football for us - he's never been better than those seasons 92-95.

I saw a huge ruckus as Viera walked into the tunnel. Everyone suddenly diving in. But didn't see the cause of it.

Thing about Di Canio on that day was he was kicked all over the pitch from kick off and never got anything off the ref. That's why he lost it, and why he was so angry with the ref when he was sent off.

Viera was one of the first off the pitch and he was face to face with the copper. The general melee followed. We park at Hillsborough School and we honestly thought the media would be all over that too but not a mention?

Di Canio for flair and ball skill.

Waddle for all round influence on the field, temperament and consistency.

(Both of them together in the same team would have been interesting).

wadddle had flair and ball skill in abundance. as much as di cannio. though di canion had two good feet

If you judge what both players did in a Wednesday shirt then Waddle wins hands down.

Waddle played some of his best football whilst at Wednesday Di Canio played his best football after leaving us.

Folk on here have even said Di Canio is in the top 3 players to play for Wednesday,Maybe talent wise he is but whilst playing for us he didnt run the likes of Hirst ,Sheridan Waddle and Roland close!!!!!!

Edited by curren

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Chris Waddle, what a player

Paolo Di Canio, what a player

Both were utterly majestic at times and by god did we see summat we've missed for nigh on 15 years.

Di Canio was shafted by the board, utterly shafted and as such so were SWFC....had Richards had his eye on this job and not the other we may never have had the last 15 years

If you look at their overall contribution to the club for a sustained period you'd have to say Waddle wins by a distance. But those saying he was way more talented than Di Canio are living in a fantasy land. These are the two most technically gifted players this club has had in my four decades of following it and I wouldn't want to choose between them on that score alone.

I also assume that whether they wish to acknowledge it or not that the way Di Canio's time at the club ended is colouring some people's views. Wolfmanjack was absolutely spot on with his assessment of that shameful episode. Between them, Richards and Wilson have to take enormous responsibility for the depths our great club has sunk to in the last 14 years.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

If you look at their overall contribution to the club for a sustained period you'd have to say Waddle wins by a distance. But those saying he was way more talented than Di Canio are living in a fantasy land. These are the two most technically gifted players this club has had in my four decades of following it and I wouldn't want to choose between them on that score alone.

I also assume that whether they wish to acknowledge it or not that the way Di Canio's time at the club ended is colouring some people's views. Wolfmanjack was absolutely spot on with his assessment of that shameful episode. Between them, Richards and Wilson have to take enormous responsibility for the depths our great club has sunk to in the last 14 years.

Sure we've agreed on this before, my blame lies at Richards door for our demise.....had we said to PDC and the FA "he made an error" he'd have had a 7 game ban tops and we'd have walked away with pride, nah we bent over.

Di Canio for flair and ball skill.

Waddle for all round influence on the field, temperament and consistency.

(Both of them together in the same team would have been interesting).

That's what I think too.

Re the De Canio treatment, i agree 100% and have posted that opinion on here before.

Both Di Canio and Carbone were hung out to dry by the board and were sacrificed by a manager who couldn't live with personalities bigger than him, (which wasn't difficult). I recently looked back at a couple of vids from the time, one where Wednesday were getting hammered and both Carbone and Di Canio were the only ones tracking back and chasing.

Manure made a cult figure out of Cantona and we could have done the same with Di Canio, but it was a convenient way out for the cowards who ran the club at the time.

Waddle shades it for me, but we never saw Di Canio fulfill his potential with us. As for Carbone, wonderful wonderful player, MASSIVEly underrated in Wednesday history.

what did the club do to carbone ?........i remember he ran down his contract (as was his right)so he could become a free agent and get himself a huge pay rise at his next club .i also recall him walking out on his team mates because he'd got dropped to the bench .i think if anyone was being used it swfc not carbone .

Guest Distraught!

There's only one Chrissy Waddle UTO

I am pretty sure there's only one Paulo Di Canio. The question is not related to quantity. It is related to quality.

I think. :wacko:

what did the club do to carbone ?........i remember he ran down his contract (as was his right)so he could become a free agent and get himself a huge pay rise at his next club .i also recall him walking out on his team mates because he'd got dropped to the bench .i think if anyone was being used it swfc not carbone .

Both Di Canio and Carbone have been made scapegoats for our demise on numerous occasions ever since and the longer it has faded into history and the actual events have become more blurred, the more they were used as scapegoats. I've heard them described as 'prima donnas', 'lazy', etc etc when in reality they were easily the best and most motivated Wednesday players on the park at that time.

The Di Canio episode has been well documented, but i also think Carbone was allowed to 'slip quietly away' with no great attempt to keep him, which suited the agenda at the time. The opportunity of having '2 flash idle Italians' to blame all our ills on at the time was much too good an opportunity to be missed.