Di canio or waddle

In my eyes the club screwed him . Should have been allowed to serve his ban and have done with but no that tail trying to make himself look good to the FA. Just look at joey barton he will serve a ban and get back in there

That's 100% true. Dave Richards was chasing his job with the Premier League, and shat on Di Canio big style, because he couldn't risk any kind of controversy jeaopardising his own interests. Remember how Man Utd stood by Cantona after the Crystal Palace incident? Dave Richards and Sheffield Wednesday were an absolute disgrace in their treatment of Di Canio (who I think is one of the three greatest players to have worn the shirt in my time. The others being Ron Springett and Peter Swann).

But this is a question of opinions, and nobodys is right if they say Waddle, or right if they say Di Canio.

I think Ron Springett is, with Gordon Banks, one of the two best keepers to play for England in my lifetime, but there are people on here who say Martin Hodge is Wednesday's best ever keeper. We're both right, and both wrong, because it's just a matter of opinion.

Guest Fedor

That's 100% true. Dave Richards was chasing his job with the Premier League, and shat on Di Canio big style, because he couldn't risk any kind of controversy jeaopardising his own interests. Remember how Man Utd stood by Cantona after the Crystal Palace incident? Dave Richards and Sheffield Wednesday were an absolute disgrace in their treatment of Di Canio (who I think is one of the three greatest players to have worn the shirt in my time. The others being Ron Springett and Peter Swann).

But this is a question of opinions, and nobodys is right if they say Waddle, or right if they say Di Canio.

I think Ron Springett is, with Gordon Banks, one of the two best keepers to play for England in my lifetime, but there are people on here who say Martin Hodge is Wednesday's best ever keeper. We're both right, and both wrong, because it's just a matter of opinion.

You're not wrong :rolleyes:

Cantona got a lot of support due to the fan being a total idiot. Cantona reacted to being abused by the idiot whilst Di Canio assulted a match official and i cant think of one person that did or still can justify his actions.So to draw comparisons in the treatment by the two clubs is very harsh on Wednesday.

Cantona got a lot of support due to the fan being a total idiot. Cantona reacted to being abused by the idiot whilst Di Canio assulted a match official and i cant think of one person that did or still can justify his actions.So to draw comparisons in the treatment by the two clubs is very harsh on Wednesday.

Jumping into the crowd and kicking a fan in the chest is inexcusable, and there can be no justification whatsoever for Cantona's action. Putting your hand on an official is against the rules and Di CAnio had to be sent off, but I'll tell you what, watch a replay of the incident, and then push your grandma in the same way that Di Canio pushed Alcock, and I guarantee that she wont end up on the deck. DI canio was reckless (and deserved to be sent off) Alcock was absolutely pathetic and Sheffield Wednesday in their treatment of Di Canio were disgraceful.

Quick answer would be Waddle, but the reasons why are not just on the pitch.

Waddle loved Sheffield in the end, I believe he still lives here or at least did for a long time after he left Wednesday. He was a team player, his end product was usually someone else scoring, Di Canio was just as much a football genius as Waddle, but he was a little more selfish and not quite the same team player.

Quick answer would be Waddle, but the reasons why are not just on the pitch.

Waddle loved Sheffield in the end, I believe he still lives here or at least did for a long time after he left Wednesday. He was a team player, his end product was usually someone else scoring, Di Canio was just as much a football genius as Waddle, but he was a little more selfish and not quite the same team player.

Yep, still lives here.

I see him all over the place. Black Q-Series Audi with 'WAD 8' number plate.

Guest waistline ye diddle

Waddle is the best player I have seen in a Wednesday shirt, only one who comes close is Hirst.

Guest Oadby Owl

Waddle is the best player I have seen in a Wednesday shirt, only one who comes close is Hirst.

Totally agree with this statement - Waddle followed by Hirsty in my lifetime.

the ones who say hodge was better than springett are the ones who never saw springett ......

Guest Oadby Owl

the ones who say hodge was better than springett are the ones who never saw springett ......

Never saw Springett, Grummitt was the first keeper I saw, however I would say Hodge was vastly superior to the England International Chris Woods!!

Re the De Canio treatment, i agree 100% and have posted that opinion on here before.

Both Di Canio and Carbone were hung out to dry by the board and were sacrificed by a manager who couldn't live with personalities bigger than him, (which wasn't difficult). I recently looked back at a couple of vids from the time, one where Wednesday were getting hammered and both Carbone and Di Canio were the only ones tracking back and chasing.

Manure made a cult figure out of Cantona and we could have done the same with Di Canio, but it was a convenient way out for the cowards who ran the club at the time.

Waddle shades it for me, but we never saw Di Canio fulfill his potential with us. As for Carbone, wonderful wonderful player, MASSIVEly underrated in Wednesday history.

waddle the best ever to play for us

Think you missed a question mark off that statement!! Best in his position, possibly! Best in his era, possibly! Best ever? Highly contentious statement!

I never saw Ernest Blenkinsop play, but i did see Alan Finney, Colin Dobson, I never saw Derek Dooley play but i did see Roland Nillson.

Even though we got Waddle in the twilight of his career, he was still unbelievable, but best ever? Is there anyone alive who can answer that question?.

Not unless we have someone who's 145!!

Waddle wins the OP question for me. By a long way.

The Di Canio incident was poorly handled certainly but what he did was silly. However, at the time of the incident, we (me, my dad & uncle Roy) sat in the South Stand about 8 rows behind the dugouts and witnessed Patrick Viera slapping a copper. Anyone else see it?