Does Megson deserve more credit?

Guest SWFC1982

Guest SWFC1982

Before I start, this is not a MM bashing thread or a DJ bashing thread or a GM bashing thread... But even DJ and MM said the best they could have expected was a play-off place. I'm not being funny but I think Megson would have took us into the play-off places blindfolded. Apart from Treacy and Ranger, this was Megson's side. It took a once in a lifetime run to get us into automatic places and for that I will be for ever grateful. But in my opinion, Megson hasn't got the credit he deserves for building a side that has made Sheffield Wednesday proud.

Guest Johno owl

Megson side who played dreadful football ,jones took megsons side and turned them into a good footballing side which got us promoted.

Yes he deserves some of the credit, but obviously we will never know if he would have taken us to an automatic slot. His big problem was his first instinct of going for a point, a little bit to defensive away from home.

Take nothing away from the man he put the club in a very healthy position in a very short space of time.

I agree he deserves credit and I was gutted when he went. DJ has come in and been brilliant.

But there were 2 players in those last 12 games that were outstanding and they were not used/available while GM was here - Antonio and Llera

That was the extra difference for me, although the difference in style of football was clear to see when DJ arrived

Guest SWFC1982

Agreed.. As I said, this wasn't a thread designed to bash anyone... It took a once in a lifetime run to get us where we needed to be and Dave Jones deserves all the credit for what he has achieved. I just feel that gary megson deserves more credit than has been allowed.

But there were 2 players in those last 12 games that were outstanding and they were not used/available while GM was here - Antonio and Llera

Antonio was available and selected for every single game of Megsons reign gary megson

Anyone with a brain will acknowledge that Megson deserves some credit for this season.

The only real debating point was how much credit, and to be honest that has been debated over and over again over the last few weeks on here.

My opinion is that Megson was what we needed when appointed. He instilled pride and passion back in the club and brought in some fantastic players. I don't think we would have achieved automatic with him in charge this season as I don't believe our play was positive enough, and we seemed to want to defend the penalty area a bit too readily in the last half hour of matches.

With Dave Jones in charge we seemed to have that little but more belief and self confidence, and this snowballed over the last few weeks of the season. It is a bit like a relay race, Megson passed the baton on to Jones with just the home straight still to run and we came out winners.

No poor tactician, poor man manager. Had us heading out of the play offs when he was sacked (and don't give me that we were 3rd crap because we were only 3rd because of postponements while we kept playing). We would not have had that brilliant end to season had Megson been in charge. No United bottling it against Steveage for us to go up and no Wycombe celebrations. Let's get behind Dave Jones and stop trying to cover up the poor job Megson did.

Megan deserves some credit. As for Jones, he deserves the majority. Why's that? 'Cos his style of play and his decision to let the players play with freedom got us promoted. I personally don't think Megson would have got us promoted, teams had worked us out, we became easy to defend and we were so predictable, not to mention that there were no plan B. Milan correctly sacked Megson for a reason. Dropping points at lowly Chesterfield and losing a game when 1-0 up in 90 minute is totally unacceptable, not to mention the other games we threw points away in.

Yeah Megson did his bit, got the ship heading in the right direction and all that but Dave Jones is the reason we got promoted, not Megson.

Guest Distraught!

Two thirds (approximately 60) of the points we got this season came while Megson was in charge. For the majority of the time he was in charge during the season, we averaged two points a game (we finished on more or less the same average).

Of course he deserves his share of the credit. He layed the foundation that Jones completed. However, in the long term, I believe Jones is a better manager and changing manager has been fully vindicated.

I think gary megson would have got us promoted but it would have been through the play offs, had we ended up in the play offs at the end of the season with DJ in charge I still think he would have finished the job off.