Gardner It Is

Good signing for me think we might need another centre half though can't. See rob Jones cutting it at this level and don't think beavers or Reynolds are good enough lieara may. Do. But he's not proven Buxton and reds could do a job but I think they're both. Better as full backs. But for the first time since tricky trev I've got confidence in the manager to go and get the right people in.

Who the fučk is lieara...

Guest TTOwl

Reading that fills me with confidence,nearly every poster has said Gardner for POTY,very happy with the signing.

Let's hope he's not a Palace double-agent!!

Would be surprised at 10k - wasn't exactly a bidding war for him and that's a lot of money for a goalie in champ - I would think he'd be nearer the 5/6k mark maybe with some incentives

Edit - sorry was talking about Kirkland

Well mine is guess work but wasnt he on 30k at Wigan? Whatever it was he has surely taken a significant pay cut to join us.

Guest foreverSWFC

Risky signing again.

If he can stay injury free, class defender. But if he can't, a highly paid crock.

I'm sure DJ knows what he is doing.

so it's ok for them to reveal the deal today that isn't yet completed, but not last night having led us on all frickin' day...

Why is it so important it was announced yesterday? Does it really matter as long as we have the players DJ needs, in time for the start of pre season?

Still think we need to reinforce in central defence.

Rob Jones - struggled in the Championship last time he played there.

Llera - class act, but I don't think he has a great deal of experience at this level.

Beevers - may not sign his new deal and I wouldn't want him as first choice.

Reynolds - probably not going to have a future at the club.

Reda - Still questions over his level of concentration in that position.

Buxton - could do a job.

Edited by SiJ

Which will probably make him one of the highest paid then because the other year I think the most we were paying was 5-6k. Kirkland will be on close to 10k too I reckon.

do you want have a guess how much i earn ?.......you cant possibly know what kirkland or any other player is on unless your surname is mandaric ,aldridge or jones .

Guest Oh South London

Hi there Lads, Palace fan in peace,

Thought I'd give you a bit of a run down on Gardner during his time with us because this seems to be going through. A lot of it you'll probably already be aware of considering he's not an unknown quantity.

Personally I feel when fit he is the best centre back in the league bar none, and I'm sure provided he can sustain his fitness levels then he could very well be signing of the season, such is how high we rate him at Palace. He's so composed on the ball, pretty much never beaten in the air, deceptively quick for a big chap aswell so doesn't get caught out by nippy strikers that often at all. Pretty much the all round package for a defender. If he didn't have fitness problems then I have no doubt at all that he would still be a premier league regular and would never have dropped down to our level. He will have a great calming affect on any centre back he plays with aswell, and he's helped rein in Paddy McCarthys rash challenges and mistakes as a result of Gardner's calming influence.

Here's the catch however, he really does need to be treated with kid gloves and we have been incredibly lucky to get the amount of games that we have from him over the last 2 seasons. He won't be able to play 2 games a week without a decent risk of injury, as our manager said himself, he was overplayed this season and he only managed 29 games in the league. He tore his hamstring, and was nearly torn from the bone, and this was in late april, so it's likely he'll still be injured come late july/early august and may require extra time to get fit for next season which will probably not initially help in getting you a settled back 4 in your first season back in the championship.

Personally I would have liked him to stay as he has this uncanny ability to be able to get his centre half partner to perform well above his ability, keeps the whole back line calm and composed, and of course brings such a wealth of experience that pretty much no striker in the league will get the better of him when fit and ready to go.

Huge loss to our side when fit, but personally want to see us sign a more risk free centre back, as it looks like we're signing a like for like replacement in Tunchev, (great ability with injury problems.) One player in that mould is fine for me :p

So to conclude, it could go either way, you either will get the best centre back you've had in years and will have a huge impact on your season, but on the other side of the fence don't be shocked to see him spend the majority of the season on the treatment table with niggles and injuries all year.

We got very good service from him over the 2 seasons he was here so he leaves with our best wishes, and wish him well in the future.

Best of luck for the season aswell guys, good to have you back and looking forward to coming to hillsborough again. :)

do you want have a guess how much i earn ?.......you cant possibly know what kirkland or any other player is on unless your surname is mandaric ,aldridge or jones .

It's guess work, of course I don't know. And it doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong because we'll never know.

Guest Fedor

Thought I'd give you a bit of a run down on Gardner during his time with us because this seems to be going through. A lot of it you'll probably already be aware of considering he's not an unknown quantity.

Personally I feel when fit he is the best centre back in the league bar none, and I'm sure provided he can sustain his fitness levels then he could very well be signing of the season, such is how high we rate him at Palace. He's so composed on the ball, pretty much never beaten in the air, deceptively quick for a big chap aswell so doesn't get caught out by nippy strikers that often at all. Pretty much the all round package for a defender. If he didn't have fitness problems then I have no doubt at all that he would still be a premier league regular and would never have dropped down to our level. He will have a great calming affect on any centre back he plays with aswell, and he's helped rein in Paddy McCarthys rash challenges and mistakes as a result of Gardner's calming influence.

Here's the catch however, he really does need to be treated with kid gloves and we have been incredibly lucky to get the amount of games that we have from him over the last 2 seasons. He won't be able to play 2 games a week without a decent risk of injury, as our manager said himself, he was overplayed this season and he only managed 29 games in the league. He tore his hamstring, and was nearly torn from the bone, and this was in late april, so it's likely he'll still be injured come late july/early august and may require extra time to get fit for next season which will probably not initially help in getting you a settled back 4 in your first season back in the championship.

Personally I would have liked him to stay as he has this uncanny ability to be able to get his centre half partner to perform well above his ability, keeps the whole back line calm and composed, and of course brings such a wealth of experience that pretty much no striker in the league will get the better of him when fit and ready to go.

Huge loss to our side when fit, but personally want to see us sign a more risk free centre back, as it looks like we're signing a like for like replacement in Tunchev, (great ability with injury problems.) One player in that mould is fine for me :p

So to conclude, it could go either way, you either will get the best centre back you've had in years and will have a huge impact on your season, but on the other side of the fence don't be shocked to see him spend the majority of the season on the treatment table with niggles and injuries all year.

We got very good service from him over the 2 seasons he was here so he leaves with our best wishes, and wish him well in the future.

Best of luck for the season aswell guys, good to have you back and looking forward to coming to hillsborough again. :)

Sounds good to me, I always thought he was quick and I am sure he even played at left back for Spurs on a few occasions

He was quality when he first moved to Spurs, no doubting his ability at all. But as you say, sometimes its better to forgo the obvious quality for someone more reliable. We'll see.

I hope the next few signings are less risky.