For those who wanted JJ out

Maybe he should have been played earlier in the season opposite Ben Marshall?

I wonder how it felt to have James O'Connor starting not only ahead of you but in your position too.

People also forget the gap between Marshall and Antonio when he played out of his skin and got important goals.

I didn't, as I alluded to in a post above.

But as I then said - what since?

He just appears to be someone who likes being the only outlet. Put him in with someone else - nothing.

Maybe he should have been played earlier in the season opposite Ben Marshall?

I wonder how it felt to have James O'Connor starting not only ahead of you but in your position too.

People also forget the gap between Marshall and Antonio when he played out of his skin and got important goals.

Good point re joc.

The season was 46 games plus cups. To pick out 2 games where he had crackers pretty much sums him up.

How many cracking games did Semedo,Batth,Buxton,Marshall, Madine, Antonio etc....play?

His work ethic is less than desired and that is probably why Megson preferred others ahead of him, there were far to many games where he went missing.

Yeh id keep him on a one year contract but i don't think i'd start a game with him. We need service to our strikers for large parts of the game and that doesn't happen enough in his game.

Guest OutandOutOwl

Signing him on a new deal means not signing a potentially younger and better player instead. I'd rather have Alan Judge tbh, but we maybe cannot afford him.

I am delighted that it looks as though JJ is going to get another year, some of the comments above really do baffle me...

JJ is an extreme player, we take the good with the bad. The issue we have had for too long is that we have solely relied on him and he isn't consistent enough to do so. JJ for me should be our third winger and that is what i think he will be, that extra option. He can change a game with one run and even at Championship level, defenders will not want to be up against him.

I'd love to know who people think we should be signing to replace JJ, as that extra option on his wage?!

Would people want him if he weren't like poo off a shovel, answer is, no.

Are you saying his ability to run quickly with or without the ball somehow doesn't count when it comes to considering whether we want him to stay or not? How bizarre. It's a bit like asking if we'd like to keep Semedo if he couldn't tackle.

We all know he's inconsistent, but like Arthur has said, it has earned up much more criticism than he deserves relative to others in the squad. Personally I think we can afford to persist with him for another year. At this moment in time, he offers something no one else in the squad does. Obviously we're all hoping that is addressed in the next few weeks though.

All depends on our ambitions. If we're mounting a serious promotion challenge then there should be no place in the squad for him, too unreliable.

If we're building a squad over a 2 seasons then it wouldn't hurt to have him on the bench.

I'd rather see scenario 1 and him get released. Start a fresh.

Signing him on a new deal means not signing a potentially younger and better player instead. I'd rather have Alan Judge tbh, but we maybe cannot afford him.

I'm sure we can afford Alan Judge, but then the money used to bring him in is money not used elsewhere. If JJ is back-up and is the right price we can concentrate our money in other positions - namely the starting 11, including two new starting wingers (one of whom could easily be someone like Judge).

Success will depend on us using our budget as wisely as possible - we don't need to spend it all on expensive reserves (assuming JJ is on a relatively cheap contract).

He's similar to Adam Proudlock - an ineffective player who shows promise one or two games a season but is favoured by the young uns and therefore reaches cult status without actually delivering consistent quality

Bizarre...

PS I honestly can't see him being as 'impact' in the Championship...

Did you see him play against stoke pre season and terrorise Woodgate?

Like a few have said, JJ as an impact player is tough to replace. if you can name someone to replace him thats of similar style and quality, id like to hear it.

Guest HartOwl

He'll be a super sub next season. It's always good to chuck him on near the end, because when jj decides to turn up he's a match winner.

Like a few have said, JJ as an impact player is tough to replace. if you can name someone to replace him thats of similar style and quality, id like to hear it.

The fact you've named a pre season game nearly a year ago as an example of what JJ can do says it all

Owlstalk Shop

Antonio