For those who wanted JJ out

I love JJ when we're winning. Every time he touches the ball I get excited, even though there's a little voice in the back of my head saying 'this can only end in tears'. Makes the rare occasion where it comes off even better.

Of course, when we actually need to score and he sprints, head down and fingers in ears, straight into a defender, he fills me with rage like no other player too. Wouldn't change him for the world.

Are you saying his ability to run quickly with or without the ball somehow doesn't count when it comes to considering whether we want him to stay or not? How bizarre. It's a bit like asking if we'd like to keep Semedo if he couldn't tackle.

We all know he's inconsistent, but like Arthur has said, it has earned up much more criticism than he deserves relative to others in the squad. Personally I think we can afford to persist with him for another year. At this moment in time, he offers something no one else in the squad does. Obviously we're all hoping that is addressed in the next few weeks though.

Comparing the near enough ever present should be captain player of the year to jj is just flippingdaft, once jj's pace has gone his career is over

Some absolute pish in this thread. JJ has been good enough for the Championship before and has terrorised international quality defenders (Colloccini) on his day too. Yes he is inconsistent, yes he is often greedy, yes his decision making at times is erratic, but he is a match winner and we don't have many of those.

If we sign a whole host of players that will improve the squad and are of a higher standard then fair enough let him go, but JJ should definitely be being considered for another year. It's players like Otsemobor who aren't even good enough for League 1 that need to be the first out of the door not JJ. The criticism he gets from many in here baffles me. We have FAR worse players than him out of contract that need moving on.

Yet you'd hope to perform more than 3 or 4 times a year.

I don't think anybody (even myself) is saying start him, choose him over Antonio or that he would have a specific impact on any future promotion.

But having a go at JJ for his style of play is like having a go at a dog for barking.

Its impossible to have two world beaters for every position Not too many teams in the championship would be able to call on two better right wingers than JJ and Antonio. Lets concentrate our resource on adding a proper goalscorer to the squad. Now that won't come cheap

Comparing the near enough ever present should be captain player of the year to jj is just flippingdaft, once jj's pace has gone his career is over

I'm not comparing them. What I am doing is pointing out how ridiculous it is to say that it is somehow sensible to pretend a player's main attribute somehow doesn't count when judging him simply because you have a prejudice against him.

The fact you've named a pre season game nearly a year ago as an example of what JJ can do says it all

......in answer to your comments that he couldnt have an impact in the championship. Youve compared him with Proudlock which is absolute pish.

Antonio

Think we all know Antonio is one of the main targets, hes got a lot of developing to do as well. And that still leaves us with two wingers plus Mike Jones...

Guest Sheff Owl

JJ has 1 good game is 6 is that really good enough?

He starts to perform when his contract is up for renewal.

Lets face it JJ is all about pace, if there was a traffic cone in his way to goal he will run straight into in and then blast the ball in to row z of the Kop...the problem is he doesn't think.

For all the pace and the impact he can do...his assists tally for us is rubbish...lets be honest about it.

Now when he perfoms yes he can be good but we don't see it often enough, at 70 minutes he begins to give up and wants to come off.

Now fair enough by the looks of it we have offered him a new deal - which is fine but a regular starter in the Championship? i can't see it.

It's shown we can attract a better type of player who will provide more goals and assists ie Ben Marshall and Michail Antonio and we need to attract better if we want to do well in the Championship.

Now with 7 subs next season it is handy to have someone like JJ but we have to get out of this JJ is the answer because he isn't.

I'm not comparing them. What I am doing is pointing out how ridiculous it is to say that it is somehow sensible to pretend a player's main attribute somehow doesn't count when judging him simply because you have a prejudice against him.

I'm easy either way, he stops he goes, he won't play 20 games next year, people are reeling off all what's wrong with him and then saying he's worth keeping for one game in five where he as a good twenty minutes

Some absolute pish in this thread. JJ has been good enough for the Championship before and has terrorised international quality defenders (Colloccini) on his day too. Yes he is inconsistent, yes he is often greedy, yes his decision making at times is erratic, but he is a match winner and we don't have many of those.

If we sign a whole host of players that will improve the squad and are of a higher standard then fair enough let him go, but JJ should definitely be being considered for another year. It's players like Otsemobor who aren't even good enough for League 1 that need to be the first out of the door not JJ. The criticism he gets from many in here baffles me. We have FAR worse players than him out of contract that need moving on.

Whats funny about JJ is that whether he played in the Premier League or the Unibond League he would play the same, be just as inconsistant and probably have the same impact on games.

Some players are good enough for certain leagues and this shows in their performances but JJ has such a narrow range of ability he would be capable of scoring a wonder goal in the Premier League but would probably struggle in any given game playing against Nuneaton Borough.

I'm easy either way, he stops he goes, he won't play 20 games next year, people are reeling off all what's wrong with him and then saying he's worth keeping for one game in five where he as a good twenty minutes

That's the thing though isn't it? Just like Gerald Sibon we can concentrate on the positives and convince ourselves he's a superstar or we can look only at the negatives and suggest he's hopeless. The trick is to weigh up the pros and cons and try and reach some sort of balanced appraisal. Anyone who tells you that Johnson is one or the other of these extremes is not being honest by ignoring the opposite aspects.

Unless we are able to sign three players like Marshall and Antonio this summer (hardly likely), then in my opinion Johnson has a role to play in this squad. Yes, he'll be erratic, but that is no secret is it?

Guest watson_swfc

The fact you've named a pre season game nearly a year ago as an example of what JJ can do says it all

I think its more an example of the quality of defender that JJ can still terrorise, for those questioning if he can still hack it in the Champ. Nevertheless, i think its unfair to say he's only played well in two games or so, the fact he only scored two wonder goals does not mean he only played well twice. He was unplayable in pre-season, unplayable in the five or so games before Antonio joined and cant have played badly in the run in considering our results. In between these spells he was injured, which i think is a bigger concern than his form. You've also got to remember that Antonio and Marshall stole the show, players of that quality dont belong in League 1 and took the spotlight away from JJ somewhat.

If he played to his best every game then we wouldn't be having this debate because he would be at a premiership team. We've got to remember we are in the 2nd tier, n there's not many players that have JJs qualitys, even if it is just the odd match, his moments of brilliance probably earnt us 7-9 points last season, which can be the difference to success and failure

That is true, but the greater consistency and all round quality of Antonio and Treacy was worth so much more at the end of the season for me.

I personally can take JJ or leave him, but if Jones finds a role for him, thats fair play.

I'm happy for JJ to stay and play a role but only if it is from the bench, there is so much better out there that we need to be going for, just imagine what he would have done with that chance against Carlisle in the 95th minute, I stand at the back of the kop and I'd have been worried.

The most important thing though, is that we sign an Antonio and/or Treacy style player, we have rarely looked as dangerous as we have with these two on the wings, Antonio's strength and pace along with Treacy's quality in the delivery are essential to us and I'd love to see us bring them both in.

Just a fuel for thought, last night, our 'less fortunate" neighbours from across the city struggled for 85 mins for a spark of flair. They looked solid enough at the back and was controlling the game, it's times like this when you need a influential player to come off the bench who as the potential to run past 3 defenders n thrash one into the net... I just think we are lucky that we have that option