For those who wanted JJ out

People that wanted JJ to be released must have very short memories, and can't have gone to Sflaphorpe away, when he single handedly tore them to bits and won the match more or less on his own?? Or when we where running out of ideas against hartlepool at home and he comes off the bench and scores a wonder goal?? I'm not saying he's going to set the championship a light next season, but you can't let players with this quality leave, I think he's still got a part to play

People that wanted JJ to be released must have very short memories, and can't have gone to Sflaphorpe away, when he single handedly tore them to bits and won the match more or less on his own?? Or when we where running out of ideas against hartlepool at home and he comes off the bench and scores a wonder goal?? I'm not saying he's going to set the championship a light next season, but you can't let players with this quality leave, I think he's still got a part to play

Good point.

Well done for picking out 2 games!

I went to both of them, but I still feel JJ's time is over.

What about his ridiculous sending off at Stevenage? His poor end to the season.

On his day he's fantastic. However....

He had a brilliant 4-5 weeks in Jan/Feb. Since then?

However, if he's good enough for Jones, that's fine for me

Edited by senwar

he only plays well when his contract is about to run out, he's a liability both in terms of injuries and discipline, and he usually has about 1 good game out of every 8 he plays. should have released him.

but if it's a one year deal on reduced wages i wouldn't mind keeping him as a squad player to bring on in the last 20 minutes.

Five years service and counting.

Flair and controversy alike.

He will be remembered a lot longer as a cult player during our dark days than many other so called legends of the same ilk.

I can't think of anybody else to warm the bench who could have such an impact.

He's similar to Adam Proudlock - an ineffective player who shows promise one or two games a season but is favoured by the young uns and therefore reaches cult status without actually delivering consistent quality

Bizarre...

PS I honestly can't see him being as 'impact' in the Championship...

Owlstalk Shop

Good point.

Well done for picking out 2 games!

I went to both of them, but I still feel JJ's time is over.

What about his ridiculous sending off at Stevenage? His poor end to the season.

On his day he's fantastic. However....

He had a brilliant 4-5 weeks in Jan/Feb. Since then?

If he played to his best every game then we wouldn't be having this debate because he would be at a premiership team. We've got to remember we are in the 2nd tier, n there's not many players that have JJs qualitys, even if it is just the odd match, his moments of brilliance probably earnt us 7-9 points last season, which can be the difference to success and failure

Good player to have as a back-up winger.

To get the most out of our budget we need to have back-up players who are cheap but still have the ability to make an impact when needed. I would say JJ ticks those boxes and am happy we have resigned him. Would expect him to be third or even fourth choice come the start of next season though.

If he played to his best every game then we wouldn't be having this debate because he would be at a premiership team. We've got to remember we are in the 2nd tier, n there's not many players that have JJs qualitys, even if it is just the odd match, his moments of brilliance probably earnt us 7-9 points last season, which can be the difference to success and failure

He's been here since 2007 and this discussion has been had every time his contract is up.

We can't afford to carry a 25% player. Not in the 2nd tier.

He's been disappointing in League one for 2yrs give or take a quarter of each season.

For every game he's had a hand in turning there a 3-4 he could have done if he had looked up and squared a ball instead of going for glory.

There are plenty of players with JJ's 'quality' in this division.

he only plays well when his contract is about to run out, he's a liability both in terms of injuries and discipline, and he usually has about 1 good game out of every 8 he plays. should have released him.

but if it's a one year deal on reduced wages i wouldn't mind keeping him as a squad player to bring on in the last 20 minutes.

I think you're giving him a dis-service there.

His level of performance has been consistant over the five years, not just when his contract is up for renewel.

He is inconsistant, we know that - I struggle to work out why that aspect of his game is still a problem. Many players who got regular starts were never effective but don't get the same criticism as JJ.

If you want to bring up players dragging their feet due to contract disputes you only have to look as far as Glenn Whelan. Player of the Year 2007 then dragged his feet for six months of the 2008 season.

One of those players that can look amazing in a team that still goes on to lose.

Often, even when he looks amazing and goes on dazzling runs, he is depriving the ball from players who will do something effective with it.

Maybe he should have been played earlier in the season opposite Ben Marshall?

I wonder how it felt to have James O'Connor starting not only ahead of you but in your position too.

People also forget the gap between Marshall and Antonio when he played out of his skin and got important goals.