Lads from the Yorkshire Regement

Thats absolute poo that trevor braithwait is a wee wee tail anyways

he isnt, iv spoken to him before and hes always been very good. i sent the below response anyway

"

Hi Trevor

Thanks for coming back to me. I understand the sensitive nature of this topic, however I am a little disappointed in the response. At the end of the day, Sheffield is a proud part of Yorkshire and I cant help but feel we are allowing local rivalries to overshadow what is an event that has struck a chord with all of us.

I know a number of Wednesdayites feel this way, and I would urge the club to again think about this. Our troops, our regiment – allegiences should be overlooked for this.

We will of course always respect the clubs decision, and I look forward to getting behind the team once again tonight.

Regards

Vinny"

Completely wrong and out of line. I've spoken to him via Email regarding Fifa editing and he has come across extremely well to me, very helpful.

The club above his head would make the decision and he's communicating that, I agree though that all clubs should show respect for these lads who paid the ultimate price in service of their nation.

final response from the club

"

Hi Vinny

Thank you for your prompt response and I absolutely respect your opinion on this extremely sensitive situation.

Please be assured that such instances are given every due consideration before we reach a decision and we fully understand that sometimes, those decisions will not always be appreciated by all concerned.

However, we will always do what we deem best for the club and its supporters.

Thanks again for your cordial dialogue and I join you in backing the team to three points tonight.

Regards

Trevor"

I'm not going to beat the club up over this but I find it very disappointing tbh.

The fact that the lads served in the Yorkshire regiment and they have asked for flags in the County to be flown at half-mast shows to me that it would be the right thing to do.

I'm not going to beat the club up over this but I find it very disappointing tbh.

The fact that the lads served in the Yorkshire regiment and they have asked for flags in the County to be flown at half-mast shows to me that it would be the right thing to do.

agreed, as i put in my emails i think we've allowed rivalries to cloud the judgement on this. Its the Yorkshire regiment, and therefore Yorkshire as a whole should stand together in respect for these lads. really think the club have misjudged this one, although i will say Trevors emails were prompt, polite and didnt skirt around the issue.

Great points to Hawkeye and BigD to follow the OP.

I don't suppose the club are going to change their mind but it;s very disappointing.

think trevors emails suggest that their minds are made up on this one sadly. i love a good debate as much as the next man but i cant think of anything more to say other than what iv put - without potentially getting Trevors back up.

Minuites applause is better than silence you cant show gratitude in silence sure.

i prefer silence.

the dead are silent and it is a way of connecting with them. Prayer is silent.

I have never been comfortable with this new applause thing.

grow up.

i prefer silence.

the dead are silent and it is a way of connecting with them. Prayer is silent.

I have never been comfortable with this new applause thing.

This. The minutes applause is basically a cop out. An admission that we, as a society no longer have the discipline or respect, to shut our mouths for a minute. Pathetic

A bit of history that sheds some light...

The very brave lads in question were from 3rd Battalion Yorkshire Regiment (Duke of Wellington's), which had, (prior to 2006) been a separate regiment, the Duke of Wellington's, and which typically recruited from West and South Yorkshire. 2nd Battalion (Green Howards), also once separate, recruited from North Yorkshire and Teesside, whilst 1st Bn (Prince of Wales Own) were based in East Yorks. 3rd Bn are based in Halifax (I think), so it's not surprising that they were HTFC fans.

However, I take serious issue with SWFC over this, as 3rd Bn. now recruits from the Sheffield area: after the demise of the York & Lancs many years ago, 3rd Battalion Yorkshire Regiment is as near to a local regiment as Sheffield gets.

All South & West Yorkshire clubs, if not every Yorkshire club should, IMO, observe the minute's silence/applause as suggested.

Afghanistan has been a difficult and in many ways regrettable war fought by very brave people indeed, and as they're from Yorkshire, they deserve our consummate respect.

I'll be at the game tonight, and I'll make my own minute's silence in private, if the club won't.

Adrian Stabler

Volunteer Guide

Green Howards Regimental Museum

Richmond

North Yorkshire

Edited by shabbyhouse

Too late to make a banner methinks but we as club need to show something , hasn't anyone got a large union jack , which can be surfed ,with the words respect to our fallen painted on ,i know time is running out but wouldn't take long to do ,or some such tribute , , these young lads ,deserve something,anything , to show respect .they gave their all for the country ,not just Huddersfield ,

A bit of history that sheds some light...

The very brave lads in question were from 3rd Battalion Yorkshire Regiment (Duke of Wellington's), which had, (prior to 2006) been a separate regiment, the Duke of Wellington's, and which typically recruited from West and South Yorkshire. 2nd Battalion (Green Howards), also once separate, recruited from North Yorkshire and Teesside, whilst 1st Bn (Prince of Wales Own) were based in East Yorks. 3rd Bn are based in Halifax (I think), so it's not surprising that they were HTFC fans.

However, I take serious issue with SWFC over this, as 3rd Bn. now recruits from the Sheffield area: after the demise of the York & Lancs many years ago, 3rd Battalion Yorkshire Regiment is as near to a local regiment as Sheffield gets.

All South & West Yorkshire clubs, if not every Yorkshire club should, IMO, observe the minute's silence/applause as suggested.

Afghanistan has been a difficult and in many ways regrettable war fought by very brave people indeed, and as they're from Yorkshire, they deserve our consummate respect.

I'll be at the game tonight, and I'll make my own minute's silence in private, if the club won't.

Adrian Stabler

Volunteer Guide

Green Howards Regimental Museum

Richmond

North Yorkshire

UTMOST respect to you Shabbyhouse

Edited by trevdi9