How other fans view both clubs from Sheffield

Guest xvivahatex

They are a skid mark of a club.

I was out in Newcastle the other week and a huge geordie bloke got talking to me and my mates, he asked where we were all from. When I said I was from Sheffield originally he said "Ah United??". So I said "Nah, Wednesday", he grinned, shook my hand and said "proper Sheffield then".

The Mackems also hate Sheffield United, our lasses uncles are all big Sunderland fans and they cant stand the blades, apparently the two clubs have a bit of previous over the years.

West Ham fan on 606 on sat said they prefered United to Wednesday! Some West Ham fan he is! Spoke poo poo to.

Used to have a job that had dealings with a company in East London. Went down to London on a number of occasions and had invites into Exec Boxes so can tell you first hand this is not the case. Most West Ham I met were very down to earth and showed great respect for our club and stated we are the team they enjoy playing from Sheffield. Being a proper working class club I take all their comments to be sincere as this was well before the Tevez. affair.

On holiday in Spain last year, me and my son walked into a shop selling football shirts, my son was wearing his Wednesday home shirt, on see-ing the shirt the spaniard serving instantly said "Sheffield Wednesday" this surprised me, I didn't think he would have known whose shirt it was.

i was on a carribean cruise about five years ago where i was my mates best man, on one perticular night iwas sat having a meal sat next to a pig fan when this waiter came over and asked where we was from then asked which team i supported i followed up with sheffield wednesday and he shouted out chrissy waddle yes!,he then asked the pig fan who he supported he told him sheffield united and his face dropped as if to say who and then replied ive never heard of them sorry, i laughed my wee wee tail off he got the wee wee took all holiday after that.uto ftb

My dad once visited a client for the first time, and they asked him where he was from. He is from Rotherham and immediately asked 'Which Sheffield club then?', he replied 'Wednesday' and the man said 'Good, because if it was United you would have been straight out the door!'

Wednesday are the only respected club in the city .. FACT

Guest thekelch

On holiday in Spain last year, me and my son walked into a shop selling football shirts, my son was wearing his Wednesday home shirt, on see-ing the shirt the spaniard serving instantly said "Sheffield Wednesday" this surprised me, I didn't think he would have known whose shirt it was.

I bought a coffee in a cafe at the top of the big mountain in Hong Kong in February. The guy serving me had broken English but still recognised my shirt and knew all about Di Canio, Waddle, Carbone etc and that we'd just been knocked out of the Cup by Birmingham. I've also been recognised as a Wednesday fan in Denmark and by some Norwegians in Australia.

A guy from London also once told me that other than "Big Four" clubs and local teams, he'd met more fans of Wednesday than any other team. We are everywhere and the blunts will always be nowhere and will always, always be second best.

I bought a coffee in a cafe at the top of the big mountain in Hong Kong in February. The guy serving me had broken English but still recognised my shirt and knew all about Di Canio, Waddle, Carbone etc and that we'd just been knocked out of the Cup by Birmingham. I've also been recognised as a Wednesday fan in Denmark and by some Norwegians in Australia.

A guy from London also once told me that other than "Big Four" clubs and local teams, he'd met more fans of Wednesday than any other team. We are everywhere and the blunts will always be nowhere and will always, always be second best.

twas ever thus and they know it

Guest nicegal

In Spetember 2007 I went travelling in America with some friends, first stop was New York. At the time we were there it was the 6th anniversary of the Twin Tower attacks. We were in Battery Park having a look at the memorials and a woman walked past me with none other than a wednesday shirt on! No matter where you are in the world, you will always meet one of us! :-) WAWAW!

The year we gained promotion my father had booked a holiday to Florida. I remember walking into a restaurant for breakfast and seeing the place packed out with Wednesday flags, scarfs and the place was rocking. I couldnt quite believe it. At least, half of the fans there were American.

I recently went to an Espanyol game sporting my Wednesday shirt and got some kind response from their supporters who instantly recognised that it was indeed a Wednesday shirt. They never asked after United but I did point out that Athletico were playing in pig colours which they kind of understood once I explained in a way that only an Englishman can.

I think probably they had most people's sympathy with the Tevez thing at first, but took it too far.

When I was in Turkey everyone knew United and not us because of Kazim-Richards, but that was the year after their glorious run in the Prem. I doubt anyone will know either of us if we spend too long in this league dry.gif

Have been all over the world with the navy and wore my Wednesday shirt everywhere. Have been recognised pretty much everywhere.

Was in Corsica (a small island between France and Italy) and wore my Wednesday shirt when I went into a restaurant. A mountain of a man that worked there came strutting up to with real intention in his face. Just before he got to me he extended his hand gesturing to shake mine and said in a husky French/Italian accent (can't tell the difference) "You Sheffield Wednesday. Chris Waddle, best player ever, in the world".

Turns out he was a Marseille fan and due to the link with Chris Waddle looked out for Wednesday as his "English team". Top bloke.

Guest James-The-Owl

Similar story pompeyowl, in Toulouse last year (watching Sheffield Eagles as it happens) and got talking to a French bloke and he asked me where I was from, when I said Sheffield his eyes lit up and he said "Sheffield Wednesday...Chris Waddle!" they love him over there!!

we've been poo poo, badly run for years and the piggie fookers still couldn't take the advantage, they ll always be the city's number two side.

As above they have had their chance the future of Sheffield football is@ s6

What makes me laugh is how painful it must be for them tha they haven't made the most of us been poo for the last 15 years.

When you were good(ish) in the 90s we were still far better than them. They had several years in the Prem, and instead of them being having that over us, we made it into Europe and thrashed teams on our European adveenture, reached 2 cup finals in a year, and regularly competed for the top 6 or 7 in the Prem.

They might have had a few semi final appearances in the cup, but, let's face it, who really remembers the SEMI-finalists in the cup? They had their chance to make something of themselves with a season in the Prem, but all people can think is that they've given up an 11 point haul for safety, get relegated beacause they were poo and squinny about it like a bunch of little girls.

I'm originally from Cumbria & was the only wednesdayite at school all the way through was awesome in 91 when we did the Mancs in the final. I now live in Queanbeyan NSW, just outside of Canberra. Earlier this season I was driving home on a Sunday afternoon goes to my mrs 'fkn sure that blokes got a wednesday shirt on' 95% of sports shirts u see here are AFL tops needless to say it was so I doubled back & pulled over. Mentioned to him it was great to see another wednesdayite on the other side - this bloke had never been to England never mind Hillsboro but has a mate whos a ST keeps him in the loop he was more interested in what id experienced watching Wednesday all over the country, defo made my day. I work in a pub here & people ask 'oh whos your premier league team'? Dont have one Im a wednesday fan we dont change our allegiance ever, something they dont get it out here. Meet other English people & get talking about football & tell them im a wednesdayite & theyve all had respect for our history, ground & players weve had bizarrly enough never mentioned the pigs. Was talking to an australian bloke last week who lived in sheffield for 6 years, 'i used to go & watch wednesday when I lived there, they were a great team'

UTO & FTB