New Manager Odds

You say poisoned chalice?

Why?

We were 2 months ago. Not now.

DEBT FREE

&

MONEY AVAILABLE

Plus add in the name Sheffield Wednesday, the current playing squad, the stadium, the heritage, the history, the huge success starved fanbase etc etc.

We can't really get any lower now. The only way is up. Sell the club, sell the dream of becoming a legend at one of English footballs oldest and biggest names.

Forget Dickov, Megson etc. we've been and done that. Laws, Irvine, Yorath, Turner, Shreeves, Wilson.

Time for a big appointment.. ala Jack Charlton and Ron Atkinson back in the day.

I’d like to see some of the names you mention, I just don’t think they’d come, regardless of the factors you raise.

I just don’t understand the obsession with the “big name”. Some of the biggest success stories of recent years have come from humble beginnings. I’m sure when Lambert was appointed at Norwich, Coyle at Burnley, Pulis at Stoke, Hughton at Newcastle, Moyes at Everton (list goes on …..) their fans were underwhelmed, but they’ve gone on to do very good jobs.

Case in point: Nigel Adkins. So’ton won’t have been overly excited by that prospect but because he’s a good man manager and knows the division, it looks like he’s going to be a serious success. This is why I suggest Dickov and Ince. Megson, because desperate times call for desperate measures, and though it wouldn’t be attractive, we’d be happier winning ugly. Gary Johnson is a good one but don’t have faith he’ll stop us conceding so many.

Anyway, I’ll stop flogging a dead horse.

Most of the realistic suggestions aren't very inspiring

True, but you've got to face facts. We're not a Premier League club, we're mid-table in the third tier. It's a job that carries a fair amount of pressure, a chairman with a reputation for being trigger-happy, and has been a bit of a managerial graveyard over the past 10 or so years.

I'd love for us to pull a "name" out, I really would. If it happens, then great, we're all happy. But I think we've got to accept that the odds of this happening are very low.

I’d like to see some of the names you mention, I just don’t think they’d come, regardless of the factors you raise.

I just don’t understand the obsession with the “big name”. Some of the biggest success stories of recent years have come from humble beginnings. I’m sure when Lambert was appointed at Norwich, Coyle at Burnley, Pulis at Stoke, Hughton at Newcastle, Moyes at Everton (list goes on …..) their fans were underwhelmed, but they’ve gone on to do very good jobs.

Case in point: Nigel Adkins. So’ton won’t have been overly excited by that prospect but because he’s a good man manager and knows the division, it looks like he’s going to be a serious success. This is why I suggest Dickov and Ince. Megson, because desperate times call for desperate measures, and though it wouldn’t be attractive, we’d be happier winning ugly. Gary Johnson is a good one but don’t have faith he’ll stop us conceding so many.

Anyway, I’ll stop flogging a dead horse.

You could probably throw Paul Tisdale into the mix too; good man manager, knows the division well, track record of promotions, still relatively young, done well on a small budget and the 5-1 thrashing of Irvine's Wednesday still hasn't been forgotten and that won't have done his chances any harm either...

wouldnt pay any attention to these odds, ince has been strongly linked and he's not even on there

Billy reid, Chris Wilder, michael appleton.....who the flip are these people?? looks like they've just thrown a random list together

interesting to see steve nicols name tho, isnt he a manager in MLS? and quite a good one?

We need a leader more than a manager. Someone to come in and motivate and inspire. I don't think it matters how good a coach they are or how tactically astute they are. If someone can come in and light a fire under the players we've got we should rip this league apart.

I've said the same thing for a while now - we need someone to come in and get us playing football with a smile. It's all become a bit too seriousness around the club at the moment. We need someone to come in and make watching us fun again.

Swapping Irvine for some of the names mentioned in this thread just makes me want to smack my head against a brick wall.

You could probably throw Paul Tisdale into the mix too; good man manager, knows the division well, track record of promotions, still relatively young, done well on a small budget and the 5-1 thrashing of Irvine's Wednesday still hasn't been forgotten and that won't have done his chances any harm either...

I'd forgotten about him. In many ways, a better option than Dickov and Ince because of the style of football he promotes.

You say poisoned chalice?

Why?

We were 2 months ago. Not now.

DEBT FREE

&

MONEY AVAILABLE

^This.

Almost every other club in the division would sell their souls to be in our position (well, not league position, obviously....)

We are still attracting enviable crowds, with the potential to just about double these, should we ever return to the big time. We are no longer suffering from crippling cashflow problems, and although we don't want to start taking steps down the route of mortgaging our future against the faint hope of immediate success, it's a fair assumption that our transfer kitty and wage budget are amongst the best in the division.

We are still a much bigger club than most of our contemporaries, with a rich history, an impressive (if in need of some TLC) stadium, and a real "big club feel" compared to most others in the third tier.

We have a chairman who has experience of the top level of English football, and clearly sees it as his mission, and an achievable mission, to get us back to that level, and net himself a well earned payday in the process.

Irvine is the first manager for a long time to receive proper financial backing to go and do his job without the usual SWFC managerial caveat of having at least one limb tied behind his back, and the ludicrous expectation of delivering a Michelen rated feast, armed with only a couple of mouldy old bangers and a defective camping stove. Sadly, Irvine's offerings have been no better than the previous stomach churning fare which Wednesdayites have been force fed for nigh on a decade.

SOS.

Save Our Season.

Before it's too late.

Get in a big name. Someone who's been there and achieved something. Not a lower league chancer who has strung a few wins together on the bottom rungs of the football ladder, and is looking to climb upwards, in the hope that they can hack it at a higher level. Cheapskate appointments have got us this far, and the pattern HAS to change. If we aspire to be a BIG club, with BIG ambitions, then we need a capable manager. A BIG manager. If you're looking for someone to pilot your cruise ship, you don't give the job to a bloke who impresses you tooling around in his rubber dinghy 50 metres off the shore at Morecambe Bay.

flip me sideways. With some of the names on the list, we may as well run a flippingraffle, raise a few bob for the club and let the lucky ticket holder pick the team for the rest of the season. We have had enough bargain basement bosses at S6 to last us a lifetime. Surely we're not going to keep shopping in Kwik Save having won the national lottery?

Edited by Wise_Owl

Guest frannys ears

For those who say Keegan unrealistic.

Manager of Fulham in Division 2 (i.e. league we're currently in).

Stubbling block of course is whether he wants to come back into football.

That's for Mandaric to sell te dream.

Not a chance with O'Neil.

Curbs, Hoddle - Maybe.

Nilsson, Petrescu, Zola, Pearson, Hughton, Di Canio, etc. all real possibilities.

No matter what apathy and negativity and lack of respect we have for ourselves, the name Sheffield Wednesday Football Club still has pulling power within football. This club is known as a sleeping giant, but with a difference nowadays... We have money. KPS once said that someone is going to make themselves a legend here. Now is the time to do it.

That appeals to some of the bigger names in football.

Big Ron & Jack Charlton will probably back me up on the pulling power of SWFC.

I'm sick to rumbleing death of settling for second rate crap. Time to make a statement that we mean busiess.

Ideal opportunity !!

Spot on mate, its time to think big and set this club on fire, inspire the team, the fans, and a new generation of fans. Time for a new hero to step forward, and start thinking big again.

^This.

Almost every other club in the division would sell their souls to be in our position (well, not league position, obviously....)

We are still attracting enviable crowds, with the potential to just about double these, should we ever return to the big time. We are no longer suffering from crippling cashflow problems, and although we don't want to start taking steps down the route of mortgaging our future against the faint hope of immediate success, it's a fair assumption that our transfer kitty and wage budget are amongst the best in the division.

We are still a much bigger club than most of our contemporaries, with a rich history, an impressive (if in need of some TLC) stadium, and a real "big club feel" compared to most others in the third tier.

We have a chairman who has experience of the top level of English football, and clearly sees it as his mission, and an achievable mission, to get us back to that level, and net himself a well earned payday in the process.

Irvine is the first manager for a long time to receive proper financial backing to go and do his job without the usual SWFC managerial caveat of having at least one limb tied behind his back, and the ludicrous expectation of delivering a Michelen rated feast, armed with only a couple of mouldy old bangers and a defective camping stove. Sadly, Irvine's offerings have been no better than the previous stomach churning fare which Wednesdayites have been force fed for nigh on a decade.

SOS.

Save Our Season.

Before it's too late.

Get in a big name. Someone who's been there and achieved something. Not a lower league chancer who has strung a few wins together on the bottom rungs of the football ladder, and is looking to climb upwards, in the hope that they can hack it at a higher level. Cheapskate appointments have got us this far, and the pattern HAS to change. If we aspire to be a BIG club, with BIG ambitions, then we need a capable manager. A BIG manager. If you're looking for someone to pilot your cruise ship, you don't give the job to a bloke who impresses you tooling around in his rubber dinghy 50 metres off the shore at Morecambe Bay.

flip me sideways. With some of the names on the list, we may as well run a flippingraffle, raise a few bob for the club and let the lucky ticket holder pick the team for the rest of the season. We have had enough bargain basement bosses at S6 to last us a lifetime. Surely we're not going to keep shopping in Kwik Save having won the national lottery?

Very good post.