The North Stand

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Never heard of him so your showing your age there mate but maybe Chris Waddle stand or David Hirst stand would be more popular.

A lot of what you know as SWFC today was down to this bloke.

The OP is correct, if the club were to honour 1 single person, he'd get my vote every-time.

Eric Taylor

Born: 1912, Birley Carr.

Died: September 1974.

Managerial Career

Manager: Sheffield Wednesday, April 1942 - July 1958.

Honours

Division Two champions: 1952, 1956.

Division Two runners-up: 1950.

Eric Taylor spent the whole of his working life as an employee of Sheffield Wednesday having joined the club in 1929 as an office boy to Wednesday’ s first secretary-manager - Bob Brown. For 16 of those years he was responsible for the team and although he’ d never played professional football, he knew the game well and proved an able manager. He broke the British transfer record when he signed Jackie Sewell for £ 35,000 in 1951 and he also brought Ron Springett to the club. It was also in his time as manager that Dooley, Quixall and Fantham all came to the fore.

Taylor had great ambitions for the club, he wanted to make the ground one of the best stadiums in the country and worked hard to make it a choice for representative games and semi-finals. He succeeded in this respect, and it was a venue for the World Cup when England staged the event in 1966.

When Wednesday were relegated for the third time in seven years, in 1957-58, Taylor decided to give up responsibility for the team management and Catterick was appointed as manager.

Some would say that money was invested in the ground instead of the team at a time when the league title was attainable. However the status of i believe the first cantilever stand in the country and subsiquent fa cup semi final ground and euro finals after the 66 world cup we should recognise someone who had vision and made the ground what it is today nearly 45 years on

Sadly until now no chairman has been in his league so i would agree with THE ERIC TAYLOR NORTH STAND

Never heard of him so your showing your age there mate but maybe Chris Waddle stand or David Hirst stand would be more popular.

wednesday's greatest side in the last 80 years the 60-61 team was eric taylors side all but one of them signed by him ....but for me he dont get no stand named after him coz of what he did in 66 with the cup-final ticket sales

You've never heard of Eric Taylor?

Are you serious?

i've heard of him, nearly every home game at one time you heard his name, during the early 70's at hillsborough it was the only name you heard the crowd shout as the cushions were retrieved from the field again...TAYLOR OUT, TAYLOR OUT, TAYLOR OUT, was the incessant roar from the NORTH and kop most weeks as the chairman took the whole blame for the terrible slump, no disastrous free fall in results, after what was widely believed at the time to be money spent on the ground at the expense of the team...if i had to be honest, i would have to say in those days he was perhaps less popular than dave allen was to become 30+ years later...

as such for the abuse he took for sticking by his guns over the development of the ground, maybe renaming the north would be an idea, though i can't help that some would be turning in their grave at the thought...

Edited by dnhc

Is there anyway the club could break with traditions and rename this after one of the clubs greatest servants and a man who made this club one of the best in the land.

The Eric Taylor Stand

Most of the fans who attend games at Hillsborough wouldn't even know who Eric Taylor was, and those who are old enough to have been around when he was, probably screamed for his head every week, for spending money on the ground, not on the team.

How quickly we forget.

Arthur Dickinson was manager and honorary secretary of Sheffield Wednesday. He became Sheffield Wednesday's first manager in 1891 and its honorary secretary two years later. He remains the club's longest serving and most successful manager with 393 wins, 338 losses, and 188 draws in 919 games with the club. He also managed the club to two league titles and two FA Cups during his 29 year reign. He first offered his resignation in the middle of the troubled 1919-20 season but was convinced to stay on to the end of the season. He died in November 1930.

If all that is accurate, why not him ?

Guest intercity0wl

We always knew it as 'the cantilever' back in the day.

Correct, it was always known as the Cant to us, same as the kop was always the East Bank, and as for the poster never hearing of Eric Taylor, learne the history of the club and the people involved in that History.

i've heard of him, nearly every home game at one time you heard his name, during the early 70's at hillsborough it was the only name you heard the crowd shout as the cushions were retrieved from the field again...TAYLOR OUT, TAYLOR OUT, TAYLOR OUT, was the incessant roar from the NORTH and kop most weeks as the chairman took the whole blame for the terrible slump, no disastrous free fall in results, after what was widely believed at the time to be money spent on the ground at the expense of the team...if i had to be honest, i would have to say in those days he was perhaps less popular than dave allen was to become 30+ years later...

as such for the abuse he took for sticking by his guns over the development of the ground, maybe renaming the north would be an idea, though i can't help that some would be turning in their grave at the thought...

Absolutely spot on. I agree 100% with everything you`ve said.

Correct, it was always known as the Cant to us, same as the kop was always the East Bank, and as for the poster never hearing of Eric Taylor, learne the history of the club and the people involved in that History.

Correct it was always the Cant...can't believe anyone who supports the owls wouldn't take the trouble to learn our history...where we come from makes us who we are