Nilsson or Sterland?

Ive just finished reading Mel Sterland's book- Boozing, Betting, Brawling! Very good read and hilarious in places.

I didnt start following the Owls until 91 (when i was 5), so cant recall Zico, other than videos etc..

So I just wondered who was the better right-back for us in your opinion.

Ive just finished reading Mel Sterland's book- Boozing, Betting, Brawling! Very good read and hilarious in places.

I didnt start following the Owls until 91 (when i was 5), so cant recall Zico, other than videos etc..

Two brilliant full backs, amongst the better players since the dark days of the early 70's, but for me Sterland has it for his sheer strength and also the fact that he scored some cracking goals.

I started going to games in 1981 so I grew up watching Zico at his peak and he was an absolutely fantastic player and a cult hero, I loved the bloke (not in a gay way). However, Nilsson was definitely a better footballer. We were very lucky to have two such outstanding and longserving fullbacks in the space of a decade.

Nilsson was a regular in a great Swedish side, Big Ron reckons he one of the best players he's managed, played in world cups, consistanly good. So him for me. Sterland was a good player though, but not Nilsson's class.

Got to be Nilsson for me, quality full back.

Remember when he was in a one-on-one situation with Dean Saunders and simply shephered him to the corner flag whilst the rest of the defence recovered.

No rash tackles, no diving in and no panicking.

Just thoughtful, precise and astute defending, something we are seriously lacking at present.

I would have Zico above Roland every time.

Roland was a fine player. A great defender (though could get his pants pulled down when faced with a box of tricks - Ndlovu of Coventry used to torture him).

Zico though had everything and was an attacking menace as well as a great defender. He is an absolute legend at Leeds and was a key member of the title winning team there. Roland would have never scored the goal that Zico scored vs Arsenal, or indeed a free kick like this one vs the Pigs for Leeds (second free kick in this clip)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9web6_mel-sterland-two-free-kicks-89-90_sport

If any squad had these two types of player available then the manager would be very lucky. Mel will always be highly regarded being the local lad that work his way through the ranks to be rightly honoured with playing for England. He would never go hiding or let the team down and would run through brick walls. Roland was world class who arguably could have played in any team at his peak and we did well to keep hold of him when we got relegated in 1990. I would choose Roland out of the two as we have rarely had the world class calibre of player at Hillsborough.

Nilsson every time.

Really is a very difficult question. Nilsson was a great player but for me Sterland was more powerful and did help to create the platform that allowed us to attract Nilsson any way. Sterland better going forward Nilsson slightly the better defender.

My favourite memory of Sterland is when we played Southampton at home, they had a nasty little guy bloke playing on left side of midfield who played previously for Birmingham and Mel lifted him over the advetising hoarding with a really hard tackle. The crowd went mad is was almost like Wedneday had scored.

2 great players, but its roland for me. a great tactition.

if you get to see the Swfc rumbelows cup final video, it shows Roland working in training on his marking etc on Lee sharp.

then it shows you him putting it into practice and how it worked at wembley in the final

Got to be Nilsson. Two very different players though. Nilsson went about things in a more subdued, quiet way. Sterland was a real fans favourate and scored some cracking goals. I started watching Wednesday in 1980, when I was 10 and some of my earliest memories are his long range goals and the chant of Zico ringing around all sides if the ground.