which of these are the biggest derbies

Guest kimolsen

I tend to think that derbies should be more about teams from the same city, I guess thats cos we have one with the pigs, I just cannot see how a game with someone based 20+ miles up the road can be deemed a derby, ala Pompey v Saints or Norwich v Ipswich but I guess it's all in the eyes of the supporters of the respective clubs,

Believe me when I say this: Pompey Vs Scum is a MASSIVE rivalry. Unlike the derbies of teams in the same city, this is more territorial. You wouldn't find any pompey fan in a pub next to a fan of the club from 17 and a half miles up the road.

I've never known hatred like it.

Please only reply about the performance if you were there, dont both if you just watched the 30 second highlights on bbc.

If I read a review of a film I wouldnt critisise it unless ive actually got off my backside to watch it at the cinema, the same applies to football. Please keep the critisism to the games you can actually be bothered to go to.

Please could you reply which of these do you think are the biggest derbies in the uk rating the biggest as 1 and the smallest as 5.

:st2:

Derby rivalries only exist because they're all about bragging rights, and being able to go into work on the monday morning with that smug grin on your face, with half of the office smiling and half refusing to make eye contact with anyone. When teams are so far apart, that scenario just doesn't apply (sure, there might be a few Ipswich fans in Norwich and vice versa, but that's it.)

That might be what a derby is for places with 2 teams in the city, but that's not ALL it's about. You might not even come into contact with supporters of your biggest rivals, but it still pumps through you like nothing else.

How can it be that the Liverpool derby, when you see Liverpool fans sat NEXT TO Everton fans, is seen as more fierce than a derby like Pompey Vs Scum where both sets of fans want to kill each other?

Watford v Luton (4) Not played too often, and, living with 4 Luton fans, I know there actually isn't that much hatred there. I also know plenty of Watford fans and theyr'e just not bothered.

Having lived in Watford for 30+ years and having attended this fixture in the past - then having seen the mayhem that ensues - i can say for an absolute fact that the above is miles from the truth

It is another territorial game and there is genuine hatred between the fans

Please could you reply which of these do you think are the biggest derbies in the uk rating the biggest as 1 and the smallest as 5.

Watford v Luton

Cardiff v Swansea

Stoke v Port Vale

Notts For v Derby

Wolves v West Brom

How does Swansea v Cardiff even qualify as a derby they are 35/40 miles apart ffs.

Edited by Lawrie Madden

Why would Nottingham Forest v Derby County be a derby? The derby would be Nottingham Forest v Notts County.

Theres not that much hatred within Nottingham from what i;ve heard. and Forest do not get agitated with County fans at all. However Derby is a different kettle of fish. Its all to do with who's top dogs in the immediate area. I must admit I hate Derby fans as well and we're 40 miles away.

Top Derby game for me because it means more than just football is Rangers v Celtic ( people have died following these games in related incidents) Then the Arsenal v Spurs and West Ham v Millwall games. .

Every football team in England has a hated rival, one who cheers when the score comes through that the other is losing, one who's defeat detracts from the pain of a reversal of your own.

Name any club and you will find another club who "hate" them. . . . . . except for Coventry City, nobody cares about The Sky Blues.