which of these are the biggest derbies

Guest kimolsen

Having lived in Watford for 30+ years and having attended this fixture in the past - then having seen the mayhem that ensues - i can say for an absolute fact that the above is miles from the truth

It is another territorial game and there is genuine hatred between the fans

Having worn a Luton shirt for a laugh to wind up the locals during my football playing years in Watford I can tell you none of them are that bothered at all.

it might be a territorial thing, but there really is not that much hatred at all.

Theres not that much hatred within Nottingham from what i;ve heard. and Forest do not get agitated with County fans at all. However Derby is a different kettle of fish. Its all to do with who's top dogs in the immediate area. I must admit I hate Derby fans as well and we're 40 miles away.

Top Derby game for me because it means more than just football is Rangers v Celtic ( people have died following these games in related incidents) Then the Arsenal v Spurs and West Ham v Millwall games. .

That's another poo derby.

Spurs and Arsenal fans openly admit it's crap because they have so many other derbies in London.

Guest Triplej2

That's another poo derby.

Spurs and Arsenal fans openly admit it's crap because they have so many other derbies in London.

Arsenal- Spurs, a sh*t derby???

I've read your daft views on Irvine but this takes the biscuit! They f*cking hate eachother with a passion

Having worn a Luton shirt for a laugh to wind up the locals during my football playing years in Watford I can tell you none of them are that bothered at all.

it might be a territorial thing, but there really is not that much hatred at all.

You're talking out of your backcrack -so just cos your mates don't kick the shyte out of you for wearing a Lutoin shirt that's the definitive statement on how intense the rivalry is?

So if some Wednesday fans play football and one or two of the group is a pig and they wear their shirt - you expect the Wednesday fans to beat the crap out of the pigs cos of the hatred?

TBF you have no idea and are basing a whole football rivalry on a couple of events involving your mates - and in truth if they ever said they don't dislike Luton then i'd actually question whether they were Watford fans - or vice versa.

Like i said i've only lived here for iover 30 years, been to some of the games involving them and been in the town when it's resembled a warzone - what would i know compared to somebody who has played football in the town wearing a Luton shirt and has some mates who purport to support one or the other?

Also when you played football here - it's eminnetly possibel they people you wear playing with/against weren't Watford fans anyway - where did you play and who for as a matter of interest?

Arsenal- Spurs, a sh*t derby???

I've read your daft views on Irvine but this takes the biscuit! They f*cking hate eachother with a passion

But you're making the mistake of thinking anybody other than pompeyowl knows anything about football rivalry - whether we've been in the thick of it (unwittingly) - or have very good knowledge of the clubs involved

Nobdy really knows apart from pompeyowl tbf

Arsenal and Spurs don't detest each other?!?!?

Seriously but biggrin.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by scram

But you're making the mistake of thinking anybody other than pompeyowl knows anything about football rivalry - whether we've been in the thick of it (unwittingly) - or have very good knowledge of the clubs involved

Nobdy really knows apart from pompeyowl tbf

Arsenal and Spurs don't detest each other?!?!?

Seriously but biggrin.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Well, living in an area where everyone is predominantly Arsenal or Spurs, I have a pretty good idea of what their derby is all about. They don't hate each other like people seem to think. Several of my mates growing up were Spurs and openly admitted that because of their rivlaries with West Ham, Chelsea and others it gets tiring hating teams you play every week with a passion.

You're talking out of your backcrack -so just cos your mates don't kick the shyte out of you for wearing a Lutoin shirt that's the definitive statement on how intense the rivalry is? :laugh: I never said that did I?!

So if some Wednesday fans play football and one or two of the group is a pig and they wear their shirt - you expect the Wednesday fans to beat the crap out of the pigs cos of the hatred? I also never clamed this to be expected.

TBF you have no idea and are basing a whole football rivalry on a couple of events involving your mates - and in truth if they ever said they don't dislike Luton then i'd actually question whether they were Watford fans - or vice versa. I was actually playing opposition teams regularly on a park with 5 or 6 games going on at one time and no one from any team ever batted an eye lid.

Like i said i've only lived here for iover 30 years, been to some of the games involving them and been in the town when it's resembled a warzone - what would i know compared to somebody who has played football in the town wearing a Luton shirt and has some mates who purport to support one or the other? I know it's kicked off many times before between the two sets of fans, and I know people that have got involved, or been at the games when it's gone off everywhere, but my point is they just don't have much time for each other when they're not playing each other.

Also when you played football here - it's eminnetly possibel they people you wear playing with/against weren't Watford fans anyway - where did you play and who for as a matter of interest? I'd like to think with 10 or so teams all playing at one time in the heart of Watford that there'd be atleast a few Watford fans among them, especially as some of the teams actually used Watford's replica kits to play in.

So what daft views on Irvine have you read of mine then? As far as I'm concerned I have a similar view on Irvine as many others on here, but I just can't see who's better for the job that would realistically want to join us at the moment.

And, yes, they do hate each other, but they also have many other derbies every season, which kind of redirects a lot of their attention and hatred towards each other.

You're using the fact that you wore a replica Luton shirt when playing in Watford as the barometer as to how intense the rivalry is - or isn't?

Why were you wearing a Luton shirt? Why didn't you wear the same kit as your team mates? Why did you have a Luton shirt anyway? Where did you play in Watford and who for and against? What league was it?

Why can't you just accept you've called this one wrong - you're not the arbiter of what makes an intense football rivalry like you're trying to make out.

If you think Watford and Luton really don't care about each other then you are miles wide of the mark - seriously - i'm not trying to claim it's the hottest rivarly on the planet - but there is geuine antipathy from both sets of fans and they really hate each other - i know - i have seen it with my own eyes (unlike yourself who has the wearing of a football shirt at a totally unrelated time as your only proof) - the fact that a live TV game had to have it's kick off time moved on orders of the police wouldn't suggest it's a game of total apathy would it?

If i were you i'd put the shovel down

You're using the fact that you wore a replica Luton shirt when playing in Watford as the barometer as to how intense the rivalry is - or isn't?

Why were you wearing a Luton shirt? Why didn't you wear the same kit as your team mates? Why did you have a Luton shirt anyway? Where did you play in Watford and who for and against? What league was it?

Why can't you just accept you've called this one wrong - you're not the arbiter of what makes an intense football rivalry like you're trying to make out.

If you think Watford and Luton really don't care about each other then you are miles wide of the mark - seriously - i'm not trying to claim it's the hottest rivarly on the planet - but there is geuine antipathy from both sets of fans and they really hate each other - i know - i have seen it with my own eyes (unlike yourself who has the wearing of a football shirt at a totally unrelated time as your only proof) - the fact that a live TV game had to have it's kick off time moved on orders of the police wouldn't suggest it's a game of total apathy would it?

If i were you i'd put the shovel down

Clearly we are seeing this rivalry from different lights, so maybe we should both put the shovel down on this one.

I never claimed to be the "arbiter of what makes an intense football rivalry" at all. Your views on their rivalry are clearly different to the ones I have on it.

My "proof" wasn't just the fact that I wore a Luton shirt (which I got off my mrs brother, who we are currently living with along with another 3 Luton fans) to play football in (in the Olympian Sunday league as a goalkeeper, hence why I could get away with having a different shirt to my mates). I have lived with Luton fans and know a few that do hate Watford, but just don't hate them like others hate their rivals, just like I've known plenty of Watford fans who also hate Luton, but just don't really care that much.

Maybe all the people of Watford you know care more for this rivalry than the people I know, but as the fixture hasn't happened for soome time now and looks like it won't happen for even longer, I get the feeling that there's no point in the hatred when you clearly know who has the better club.

I have no shovel to put down my friend - i am giving my own experiences as a bystander, attender of some of the games and having lived in the town among Watford fans for over 30 years - and i know that they hate Luton - in fact the intensity of the rivalry shocked me at first - more so because Watford are generally a very friendly club and fans

I know the town has been a police lock-down when Luton visit - i know the town gets it share of being smashed up - especially on the quieter route into the town from the station

Like any football rivalry it's not a 24/7 job and obviously it's much more heightened when the teams meet - but that's the same everywhere

I know you think Pompey/Saints is one of the fiercest and you said something about fans of each club not drinking in the same pubs etc - well i know places were exactly that happens - in the sort of grey area between the 2 cities along the A27 - where some are Saints and some are Pompey - they frequent the same pubs harmoniously - but not for one second would i suggest that they don't have a fierce rivalry because of it

I have no shovel to put down my friend - i am giving my own experiences as a bystander, attender of some of the games and having lived in the town among Watford fans for over 30 years - and i know that they hate Luton - in fact the intensity of the rivalry shocked me at first - more so because Watford are generally a very friendly club and fans

I know the town has been a police lock-down when Luton visit - i know the town gets it share of being smashed up - especially on the quieter route into the town from the station

Like any football rivalry it's not a 24/7 job and obviously it's much more heightened when the teams meet - but that's the same everywhere

I know you think Pompey/Saints is one of the fiercest and you said something about fans of each club not drinking in the same pubs etc - well i know places were exactly that happens - in the sort of grey area between the 2 cities along the A27 - where some are Saints and some are Pompey - they frequent the same pubs harmoniously - but not for one second would i suggest that they don't have a fierce rivalry because of it

I am only giving my pespective of it also, in similar circumstances to yours, yet I haven't experienced much of the hatred you talk of.

As for the south coast derby, the areas you are referring to are probably little towns where the town's allegiance is questionable due to the fact it is smack bam between the pair of them. I know Fareham has it's share of Scummer fans along with it's Pompey, but even that place gets violent because of it. I can guarantee you that finding a Scummer shirt in Portsmouth (especially in the boozers) is like fuinding a needle in a haystack.