Tommy Spurr

I feel for the lad. He's obviously down on confidence and must be able to pick up on the groans coming from the stands but yet he still makes himself available and commits to the cause. I don't think he's good enough but for anyone to describe him as gutless beggars belief

Guest aphextwins

Tommy needs to just keep his game as simple as possible.

He needs to just play simple passes and stop running with the ball because his passing is utterly woefull at times and when he "bombs" forward there is only ever one outcome. Well, actually there's several outcomes but it's mainly him losing the ball, being out of position and them scoring.

If he just stuck to defending, which he's actually not that bad at, and focused on being , if you like, a 3rd central defender rather than thinking he's Roberto Carlos we wouldn't be on his back all the time, he wouldn't make as many mistakes and his confidence might get a bit of a boost.

Regradless of what league we're in next season we really need to address our left back problem and bring in someone who actually is a left back and just use Tommy as cover for our central defenders.

Spurr always reminds me of an exitable child that has just been let loose with a beech ball after a 8 hour drive to the coast, if his parent didnt shout him he would probably go running in to the sea at full pelt with his head down,and wouldnt stop till he reached France!

Or

bambi.jpg

think Tommys time with SWFC is coming to an end in the sense that he's stuck in a rut ..

won't improve anymore then what he is at at the minute. needs a new club to freshen things up

although when you look at his performances this year ... sometimes you wonder if he could make the grade at a sunday league club

Guest Sheff Owl

think Tommys time with SWFC is coming to an end in the sense that he's stuck in a rut ..

won't improve anymore then what he is at at the minute. needs a new club to freshen things up

although when you look at his performances this year ... sometimes you wonder if he could make the grade at a sunday league club

Remind's you a little bit of Richard Wood been here a while, people had said he had become stale and maybe it's time for him to move on, i'm not saying that's the case for Spurr but it's a similar situation.

Guest oliver666

Was you watching a different game to me or what! He was one of out better players along with Purse and O'connor and obviously Grant as always! Spurr is one of the only ones who seams to run at the opposition and creates an attacking edge!

If you are referring to the the Bristol City match, then yes I was at that game. Read my post. Do you honestly believe Spurr along with the majority of that team gave you the impression they were fighting for Championship survival. Were you at that match. Also I was also referring to Spurrs development since at Hillsboro. I get the im[pression yopu think or believe he has improved year on year. Do you really go to the matches

Guest oliver666

Thank you!

Very good assister then. How many of the goals conceded by Wedensday are down to him. That would make interesting reading considering he is a defender.

Guest gizmo

Very good assister then. How many of the goals conceded by Wedensday are down to him. That would make interesting reading considering he is a defender.

goals for (44) against(62) top 5 worst deffence in league ,think that says it all realy ,and thats with a goalie thats got to be in the top 3 in the league ,without grant we would have conceded about 80 goals in the league this season :blink:

Guest oliver666

goals for (44) against(62) top 5 worst deffence in league ,think that says it all realy ,and thats with a goalie thats got to be in the top 3 in the league ,without grant we would have conceded about 80 goals in the league this season :blink:

A fair few down to TS no doubt. :mellow:

Guest oliver666

Why is everyone on the lads back, Nigel Worthington personified! :ph34r:

To be fair, TS isn't the only one coming in for some stick. He his part of a team that have displayed inept, lacklustre, spineless performances over the season. He his one part of an very very poor squad.

To be fair, TS isn't the only one coming in for some stick. He his part of a team that have displayed inept, lacklustre, spineless performances over the season. He his one part of an very very poor squad.

Maybe part of the problem (and this applies more so to Potter too) is that he is an automatic selection, regardless of how badly he plays? And both have certainly come in for their share of criticism over the course of the season.

Guest oliver666

Maybe part of the problem (and this applies more so to Potter too) is that he is an automatic selection, regardless of how badly he plays? And both have certainly come in for their share of criticism over the course of the season.

Can't argue with that, but the critisism isn't exactly unfounded (not just TS)

This is probably part of the reason that tommy, potter and tudgay have come in for the most stick all three have been poor this year and we do have options. We've got a bloke whos played left back for england sat on the bench its hard to understand why someone hasnt tried gray at left back at least for one game.

I think we would be bit better with Nolan on left and Buxton on right back.

exactly my thoughts on saturday, it needed changing

to all the people defending tommy, if he wants to get back in our good books he needs to take a leaf out of darren purse's dictionary of "how to turn things around"

good luck with that tommy

Gray would definitely be worth a place at left back or in midfield or in place of Varney on the left upfront, allowing Varney to move central.

in my book. It's a time to play your best players.

Spurr has shown quality in the past and just because his confidence has been wrecked by Laws showing him up and by playing in a leaky defence with little midfield cover all season is no reason to victimise him.

He is one of our better players.