Tommy Spurr

Rubbish. The referee didn't cost us today. Our spinless, lucklustre performance (once again at home) cost us.

Yes, it was a penalty, but how many chances did we create after that incident? Absolutely bugger all.

It's very easy to start blaming other people, but the sole reason for that defeat falls at Alan Irvine and his players. They all want to take a long hard look at themselves tonight. I'd be fookin' embarassed to pick up wages after that inept display.

Yes it was a penalty, agreed?

Right move on from there ...penalty disallowed,

I know it happens in a lot of matches, BUT when you are fighting for your lives, these are the decisions that count.

At this point in the match the referee is to blame.

In my heart of hearts I feel we would have held on for the win, or even gone on to score a 2nd

i wouldnt say spurr was struggling week in week out, some weeks he puts a good performance in and is 1 of the better players. no doubt he was on an off day today as was a few other players. i think if your going to single out players then leon clarke needs to be looked at. i just cant see what irvine sees in him.

Was you watching a different game to me or what! He was one of out better players along with Purse and O'connor and obviously Grant as always! Spurr is one of the only ones who seams to run at the opposition and creates an attacking edge!

I watched the same game as you if it's any consolation.

Guest gizmo

Don't use this word often, but Tommy Spurr is an absolute disgrace of a left back

He must be replaced in the summer.

I have never seen someone with such poor distribution, hold down a regular place, in a position where passing ability and positional sense (something which Tommy lacks on both accounts) are critical

i hate to say it but the man that matters (AI) unfortunately thinks the sun shines out of his you know what ,so unless we get someone in in the summer to challenge him for the lb pos were stuck with him .

i think it speaks volumes that TS is our 2nd best in assists ,it just shows how bad the rest of the team is ,it also shows the reason why we persistently concede goals down our left side because he's usually that far out of position that he cant get back to deffend where he should be,he also struggles to make simple passes when a player is anywhere near him ,and as for one on ones he gets beat 9 times out of 10 rarely manages to get a tackle in ,all in all he's not that good but while we have no cover for him we have no option but to play him ... :blink:

Guest totemowl

Poor Tommy... Every time the ball went near him he seemed to suck the momentum from our attacks.

Witty!

But based on what?

He was more likely than anyone else to run at their defence where it hurts - ie through the middle.

He was more likely than anyone else to cross the ball, esp into the danger area around the goal.

He did look low in confidence and likely to mess up but despite this he was doing his best to contribute and often did.

So congratulations on another witty comment, but try basing it on fact.

He was embarrasingly bad first half he simply cant control or pass a football at home our fullbacks always see alot of the ball so its very noticable. I have to admit I just dont see it with spurr I think hes easily as poor as the beswetherwick barry-murphy and gilbert's of this world. He has none of the attributes of a decent left back.

Edited by trask43

Guest jimbob

He was terrible today. So frustrating - why doesn't he just play to his strengths - he's his own worst enemy. He's ok going forward BUT how many times does he cut inside and cause problems for himself? As soon as he does we go backwards because he has NO right foot at all. Cuts inside, has no where to go and has to turn backwards. Just stick to the outside and he'll do ok. Crazy that he is so poor with his right.

Witty!

But based on what?

He was more likely than anyone else to run at their defence where it hurts - ie through the middle.

He was more likely than anyone else to cross the ball, esp into the danger area around the goal.

He did look low in confidence and likely to mess up but despite this he was doing his best to contribute and often did.

Wasn't attempting to be witty. I don't actually blame Tommy today, as I just think it was a bad game for him. But the point is, everytime the ball went to him it took him ages to bring it under control and decide what to do with it. Also, while he did get a few crosses in they didn't really cause their defence any problems. I thought Varney actually looked more dangerous running at the opposition as well.

To be honest though, I'm having a bit of a promble replying to your post because you seem a little confused in what you're saying...

Guest Darkus Owlus

He's gone from being a rated defender to one who's guff.

I'd get rid of him whether we survive or not, he's just been dire all season along with many others. If they're going to play poo atleast show some flipping testicles and guts like the other relegation teams seem to be doing.

You can't help but think Palace and Watford would have grinded something out today had either of those teams had Bristol City today.

We just can't be fooked/don't have any nuts. Get rid of the entire fecking team.

Guest totemowl

Wasn't attempting to be witty. I don't actually blame Tommy today, as I just think it was a bad game for him. But the point is, everytime the ball went to him it took him ages to bring it under control and decide what to do with it. Also, while he did get a few crosses in they didn't really cause their defence any problems. I thought Varney actually looked more dangerous running at the opposition as well.

To be honest though, I'm having a bit of a promble replying to your post because you seem a little confused in what you're saying...

Witty!

It's interesting that you don't defend your claim about him sucking momentum from our attacks. A clear sign that you jumped onto the bandwagon without thinking about what you'd said.

Spur has his faults but for me he is still playing out off position CB is his position he would be far better in that role as a no nonsense defender.

when was the last time he played CB ?

He has now been schooled as a left back and will play left back for the remainder of his career IMO

Witty!

But based on what?

Right, where to start... It's difficult to cross from the middle of the pitch. Also, a left back shouldn't really be making a regular thing of running through the middle. Also, where is this danger area around the goal? Are you on about the area around the goal? I'm not aware of a non-danger area near the goal unless FJ9 is in that spot.

He looked low in confidence and likely to mess up but did his best to contribute...? So as well as looking likely to mess up he was also the most likely to cross the ball into the danger area?

Witty!It's interesting that you don't defend your claim about him sucking momentum from our attacks. A clear sign that you jumped onto the bandwagon without thinking about what you'd said.

I didn't jump on a bandwagon - I offered an opinion that when he had the ball there seemed to be very little urgency about anything he did with it in an attacking sense.

for some unknown reason tommy has gone downhill this season

first half he was woeful, grant spotted him in a great position and from what should have been bread and butter control and movement with the ball, it turned into another pinching the ball off his toe exercise for the opposition and us almost conceding

for the rest of the first half tommy poo himself every time the ball came near him

it's a weakness in our side that the opposition are exploiting time and time again

Guest lordoms

I went to the Argyle game against 'boro yesterday with my dad, he is a season ticket holder at Plymouth. Their left back was Bhasera, was he the Zimbabwean we nearly signed? he looked quality and i fail to believe that Plymouth are a more attractive proposition to him than we were, so i guess we decided against signing him! i would certainly take him and their centre back reda Johnson if we could. I dont see it as any surprise their results have picked up since these two have recently been in the side, looked solid and composed, also both looked decent getting forward.

Luckily for us, their forwards looked atrocious, therefore hopefully will not score enough goals to win the matches for them to overtake us!

Spurr always reminds me of an exitable child that has just been let loose with a beech ball after a 8 hour drive to the coast, if his parent didnt shout him he would probably go running in to the sea at full pelt with his head down,and wouldnt stop till he reached France!