2017-18 Tactics

Seen a lot on here recently about us, maybe playing three at the back, which would negate the need for wingers Others are suggesting we should go for pacy direct wingers, which would surely mean a midfield rethink

Personally, I don't believe we will change things at all Well perhaps subtle changes, but basically sticking to the same system we've used for the bulk of the first two seasons As you know, it's not a system I favour, but it's one that's brought Carlos some success Why would he risk changing something that's brought him success?

There are things he can do, within the framework of the existing system Without going into which individuals might be brought in, what he needs to add, are pace in several areas, plus height and strength in the centre That's the same as we needed last season, but we crazily added a dozen players, without addressing those areas Straying from the remit this year, will surely not be an option So expect more of the same, but with stronger, quicker players

Edited by gurujuan

We need more pace and strength irrespective of the system we play, I think it will be some version of 442

However the crunch is that with the current system how do you inject these , which players are going to be changed.

You could argue for a pacy striker but I really think we need to concentrate on getting the best out of  what we have up front unless we intend getting rid of 2 or 3

At the back Loovens is our tallest player and does a decent job, doesn't get bullied . We will probably add a couple of centre backs centre which might improve our heading but again the step change ain't going to be great. Lees will still be first choice

So the crunch comes in the midfield. This is where Carlos's favourites play. Up to now he has showed no inclination at all to leave players like Wallace , Reach  Lee , Bannan  out, he picked Wallace against Huddersfield when he was obviously too big a risk for such a game. 

It is no good doing the same as we did last season in recruiting players and then sticking with the old favourites. We will never improve unless he gets more strength, pace and height into the midfield which means some of the favourites will have to be left out,

The question is,  will he do it? 

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

We need more pace and strength irrespective of the system we play, I think it will be some version of 442

However the crunch is that with the current system how do you inject these , which players are going to be changed.

You could argue for a pacy striker but I really think we need to concentrate on getting the best out of  what we have up front unless we intend getting rid of 2 or 3

At the back Loovens is our tallest player and does a decent job, doesn't get bullied . We will probably add a couple of centre backs centre which might improve our heading but again the step change ain't going to be great. Lees will still be first choice

So the crunch comes in the midfield. This is where Carlos's favourites play. Up to now he has showed no inclination at all to leave players like Wallace , Reach  Lee , Bannan  out, he picked Wallace against Huddersfield when he was obviously too big a risk for such a game. 

It is no good doing the same as we did last season in recruiting players and then sticking with the old favourites. We will never improve unless he gets more strength, pace and height into the midfield which means some of the favourites will have to be left out,

The question is,  will he do it? 

Yes, that's how I see it We can all talk about wholesale changes, but realistically, it ain't gonna happen Presuming Hutchinson reverts to being a defensive option (we still need one more) then we can replace him with a more athletic specimen in midfield The SA guy would seem to fit the bill Can win the ball, run with it, and can use it So height in defence and midfield, but introducing pace is trickier 

Because of the role our wingers are asked to play, pace is not a requisite Useful but not essential So therefore, the other options are, at full back, and up front My worry is, like yourself, Carlos may feel he is well stocked in both those areas Can see his only nod to pace being an impact winger to be used off the bench Better than nothing I suppose, but not nearly enough

What we need is one of two things. Either pace out wide (whether that be the use of wing backs or more direct wingers) or the ability to play someone in the hole but behind two strikers, not one. We didn't ask enough questions of the opposition last season and in the main must have been a joy to defend against with no real pace or width. 

Both of of those systems tend to be used when you have two sitting midfielders like Chelsea do in Kante and Matic (although you could look more realistically in the jobs that Clayton and Leadbitter did a year ago with Boro). You can then play with a little more freedom and players like Forestieri or Abdi behind a striker become more of a threat because they are in between the defence and midfield of the opposition. Add to that the use of attacking wide full backs or wingers knowing there is someone to cover across if they get stranded upfield.

It's a no brainier from me when I think about it, especially the times when Hutchinson and Bannan (plus Jones when he played) just sat so deep it was crying out for the things I've mentioned.

Edited by MuddyFunkster

Last season showed us what we must do to get a top two slot.

Choose a system, then play players in their best position or leave them out.

If he gets that flipping shoe-horn out again he wants shooting.

19 minutes ago, MuddyFunkster said:

What we need is one of two things. Either pace out wide (whether that be the use of wing backs or more direct wingers) or the ability to play someone in the hole but behind two strikers, not one. We didn't ask enough questions of the opposition last season and in the main must have been a joy to defend against with no real pace or width. 

Both of of those systems tend to be used when you have two sitting midfielders like Chelsea do in Kante and Matic (although you could look more realistically in the jobs that Clayton and Leadbitter did a year ago with Boro). You can then play with a little more freedom and players like Forestieri or Abdi behind a striker become more of a threat because they are in between the defence and midfield of the opposition. Add to that the use of attacking wide full backs or wingers knowing there is someone to cover across if they get stranded upfield.

It's a no brainier from me when I think about it, especially the times when Hutchinson and Bannan (plus Jones when he played) just sat so deep it was crying out for the things I've mentioned.

I really can't see him playing someone in the hole behind a front 2. Maybe 3 behind a single striker, or 2 up like Brighton 

Personally, I think it will be one up, and one in the hole, most probably with tucked in wingers like last year

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I really can't see him playing someone in the hole behind a front 2. Maybe 3 behind a single striker, or 2 up like Brighton 

Personally, I think it will be one up, and one in the hole, most probably with tucked in wingers like last year

In which case I think we may be in for some turgid football again. We may get the results but doubt it will be a pretty watch and at £705 for my season ticket, I want more in truth.

48 minutes ago, MuddyFunkster said:

In which case I think we may be in for some turgid football again. We may get the results but doubt it will be a pretty watch and at £705 for my season ticket, I want more in truth.

I think most would say the same, I was certainly pee'd off with what was served up last season Hopefully, if we are to play that way, we might have 4 or 5 better players this time. Also, we will have had another year to perfect the system. 

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Seen a lot on here recently about us, maybe playing three at the back, which would negate the need for wingers Others are suggesting we should go for pacy direct wingers, which would surely mean a midfield rethink

Personally, I don't believe we will change things at all Well perhaps subtle changes, but basically sticking to the same system we've used for the bulk of the first two seasons As you know, it's not a system I favour, but it's one that's brought Carlos some success Why would he risk changing something that's brought him success?

There are things he can do, within the framework of the existing system Without going into which individuals might be brought in, what he needs to add, are pace in several areas, plus height and strength in the centre That's the same as we needed last season, but we crazily added a dozen players, without addressing those areas Straying from the remit this year, will surely not be an option So expect more of the same, but with stronger, quicker players

I can't see CC going with an untried, untested formation.  He's not exactly shown himself to be a positive, attacking manager, has he?  He wants results, as much as he says that he wants to entertain.  

I think he'll stick with 4-4-2, but get a winger or two in, and that will be the extent of the attacking changes.  I think other additions will be at LB, CB and CDM.  

Let's be honest here...you can't really argue with him.  Sexy performances or not, we have 'improved' each season...

With all the front men we have I really can't see us playing one up front.

I can't see much of a change in tactics more a change in personnel with, hopefully Abdi and Matthias becoming the players we all hope they can be and the addition of some height so we can defend crosses better and be threat at corners ourselves. The conundrum is getting one or even two players with pace in midfield to play the way Carlos likes. 

4 minutes ago, doubleo said:

The main thing in my opinion is 100% ambition, particularly at home, from minute one.

Yeah, and when we came out of the dire spell towardsd the end of the season, we did go for it at home, for a while.  Two wingers, firing crosses in, high tempo.  And it worked. Let's hope he focusses on that snippet of the season.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Last season showed us what we must do to get a top two slot.

Choose a system, then play players in their best position or leave them out.

If he gets that flipping shoe-horn out again he wants shooting.

I am already dreading the opening day with Bannan on the wing

:columbo: