A new manager or a change in philosophy or more of the same?

The football has been awful at times this season (real turgid stuff) and at other times, its been spectacular - often in the same game. We've had a "walls of noise" at Hillsborough this season and terrible nervous silences that are absolutely tangible (I've bitten my nails down to the fvcckking elbow at times this season). We've had Carlos lauding the fans but he also had that mid-season tantrum (which was obviously aimed at Owls fans after a "flat" game all round), and we've also seen our manager sulk (mainly with Radio Sheffield) and appear somewhat defensive. 

IMHO, much of this stems from over-caution on Carlos' part over the past 10 months and not as much to other teams "working us out" - something trotted out by all and sundry (including Carlos) far too often this season. 

The way I see it there are three options this coming season: 

1) A new manager

2) A change in Carlos' philosophy  I.e. Less cautious tactics

3) More of the same - continue to "build" next season with the same tactics, strategy and philosophy employed the season just finished. 

Currently, I'd go with option 2. What would you go for?

2 isn't going to happen. If CC stays we'll have more of the same.

He doesn't learn and is too stubborn - a bad combination that ultimately fails in football

After 2 seasons I thinks it now obvious he won't get us out of this league.

Time for a change.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

The first option every day of the week. He's had a fair crack of the whip with financial backing that all of our past managers could only dream of and we are still in the 2nd tier of English football. He's a nice man. I get that. But is that a valid reason to keep him? No.

I think option 2 is a bit naive if you'll forgive me for saying so. I think a lot of people would like Carlos to do well here but know that we won't go up playing the style of play that we are at present.

To give him a new contract and then hope he'll change his managerial philosophy is unrealistic in my opinion and as much of a gamble as bringing a new man in. In my opinion if Carlos stays it's more likely to be option 3 than option 2 and I'm not sure I can cope with another season of being bored to tears by the best squad of players we've had in nearly 20 years. I also fear that playing our current style of play in 2 Sheffield derbies next season could backfire big time.

The only sure fire way you're going to see us abandon this negative slow and predictable play with zero width is to go in another direction and bring in a new head coach.

It's sad because I really like Carlos and would have loved for him to do well here but at the end of the day Sheffield Wednesday is what's important and for that reason I regrettably go with option 1. I want to see a manager here who can get the best out of what is a very gifted squad and very generous transfer budget and I'm not convinced Carlos is doing that.

IMO Carlos has to go this season it has been some of the worst and negative football I've watched. Had i season ticket for as long as i can remember but if he stay i'm not buying a new one and will just pick my game as last season i sat there bore to death apart from the odd games were Lee got the last minute winner its been garbage.

So in his first season we largely played a dynamic, attacking style of player...albeit we were a bit soft and prone to losing away from home. 

This season we adopted a pragmatic, dogged, grind the b@stards down approach...albeit there were times where we forgot how to attack. 

Hopefully in the third season (if CC stays) he can find a happy medium between the two. 

I've lost a lot of respect for CC with his hanging out to dry of Rhodes, in an attempt to focus the spotlight away from himself, which would have highlighted his own shortcomings after such a poor second leg play off semi, with some appalling tactical blunders. 

Hes lost it, what was that at Huddersfield in the 1st leg. I don't think I've ever seen a game and side as negative as that one our team should be streets ahead of Huddersfield with the money we've spent and we go there and play like there 2/3 leagues above us. Carlos out!

I am a great believer in the saying "A leopard doesn't change their spots"

Carlos is too set in his ways. Even with some changes on the field, he will still resort to negative tactics, so his team's do not get a hiding, but may sneak a winner.

He's had plenty of time and another season watching his playing style will turn away fans.

Edited by Bob

I started to think this year CC's motto was "fake it, till you make it"

As he went so far away from tactics used last year.

But I suppose his tactics are only as good as the players at his disposal.

I'm unsure what to expect in the coming months.

It's a conundrum this one shandy , we have tried both ways of playing and fell short at the last hurdle each time ,personally i thik (and i hope i'm wrong )that Carlos can't take us any further forward than he has , maybe it needs someone who has the guile to take us to the next level , but others will be happy how we are and think we will push on , so fair do's on that but io have my doubts ,two different ways of playing the game yet both reached the same ending ,maybe Carloss bless him is just missing that something to get us over the line ,