I don't want rid of Carlos

I have been highly critical of Carlos like many over the last few months, however, I don't want rid of him; I just want him to return to last season's philosophy, style and tactics. 

Does anyone else else gel the same? 

Edited by shandypants

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I have been highly critical of Carlos like many over the last few months, however, I don't want rid of him; I just want him to return to last season's philosophy, style and tactics. 

Carlos is a manager of philosophy & no idea of method.

Megson was the reverse.

Carlos isn't a good football manager. We had his best season.

4 minutes ago, shandypants said:

He's already shown he is too stubborn to do so and he can't identify players to step in for the ones we are missing. Also, the majority of the spine of our team are players he inherited anyway.

i just don't see where he goes from here.

I still haven't worked out the logic of changing a style that brought him success so drastically. Yes sure, make adjustments here or there but going from one extreme is playing style to another has always seemed bizarre in my mind. I don't buy into the idea that other clubs worked us out. I think we would have been at least as successful collecting points this season by sticking to a tried and tested formula.

14 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Sorry; bloody predictive text! Should be "feel" not "else gel". 

I'd be sad to see him go.

I think he needs to realise everything isn't fine and start admitting it isn't up to scratch and start doing something to get us back to how we can play and for more than 20 mins.

He's had is playing some good stuff and looking like a top 3 or 4 team so he can do again.

8 minutes ago, OwlsfaninNorway said:

But what was last season's philosophy? Have we not just got found out, like others have suggested?

To be honest, thinking back, we only really performed for one half of a game last season on average. It tended to be the second half, particularly at home (with us struggling with our away form in comparison). Nando came up with a lot of moments of magic which allowed us to break the deadlock in those tight games (Forest at home, Bolton at home) and we have struggled to replicate these magic moments this season. We definitely did play with more tempo though and that is what seems to have completely vanished.

On 18.3.2017 at 09:35, roundhayowl said:

To be honest, thinking back, we only really performed for one half of a game last season on average. It tended to be the second half, particularly at home (with us struggling with our away form in comparison). Nando came up with a lot of moments of magic which allowed us to break the deadlock in those tight games (Forest at home, Bolton at home) and we have struggled to replicate these magic moments this season. We definitely did play with more tempo though and that is what seems to have completely vanished.

Yeah. Performing one half couldn't hurt. We did seem to come back from being behind several times. But it still doesn't explain what the philosophy was. Unless it was: Stop playing continental football style when we need to score goals and win the game.

Think I agree - I want Carlos to get us playing with a bit of swagger. I think he can do it but has lost a bit of confidence - when we were on a run he was talking about our brand and it looked like we'd push on but that hasn't happened. Personally I think Carlos would respond to a massive show of support but we seem to be collectively struggling to give him that - seems a shame.

On 18/03/2017 at 08:25, OwlsfaninNorway said:

But what was last season's philosophy? Have we not just got found out, like others have suggested?

If that was truly the case, would we win any game ? I personally think it's less of that, than the players being told to stick to a certain style of play and setup in the initial 45 minutes. However, it seemed that that went out of the window against Norwich, so who knows !!!!

On 18/03/2017 at 08:05, shandypants said:

The problem is that he can't. Opposing managers won't let him, and there's no effective plan B. That's why I'd like a change.

Guest RocketOwl

People that say the line "we have been found out" annoy me greatly.

Its not a reason for poor performances, lack of application and bad decision making.

It falls at the players to adapt. Have Brighton been found out?People make it sound like we played thIan great secretive style of football and now it's been found out we have no chance. Well no, we have not been found out for whatever reason we have altered our own style.

On 18/03/2017 at 08:05, shandypants said:

I agree up to a point. We're certainly not as expressive in our play & tactics as last season but as others have said we're now being given more respect by our opponents who now work harder at nullifying our style. Plus several players like Bannan, Lee, FF, Wallace, Hutchinson, Lees & Westwood all probably had their best ever season as a professional footballer last season. Out of that list there is probably only Hutchinson who has maintained or improved that form with any great consistency this season.

Edited by mogbad