Vic Buckingham

My vote for best manager ever (although he didn't stay long enough) would be Harry Catterick.  We were runners up to the Tottenham Hostpur double winning team of 1961 and then he left for Everton not long afterwards.  We had the beginnings of a great team but then Layne, Swan, Kay scandal hit the club badly and the sixties were pretty much a downward spiral thereafter (apart from the 1966 Cup Final of course).

8 minutes ago, torryowl said:

he wasn't popular .and I think his head coach Gordon clark ( think that's his name) was supposedly the brains of the outfit .

Whilst this was supposed to be a rebuke to the numpties talking about Klinsman, Pardew and Eddie Howe as possible replacements for CC, the fact that Vic  Buckingham managed Barcelona and Ajax and according to Cruyf  was the inspiration for total football ought to put him up there with the best.

Just now, peacock1961 said:

Whilst this was supposed to be a rebuke to the numpties talking about Klinsman, Pardew and Eddie Howe as possible replacements for CC, the fact that Vic  Buckingham managed Barcelona and Ajax and according to Cruyf  was the inspiration for total football ought to put him up there with the best.

maybe but it doesn't alter the fact he wasn't popular ....

30 minutes ago, Kevan said:

My vote for best manager ever (although he didn't stay long enough) would be Harry Catterick.  We were runners up to the Tottenham Hostpur double winning team of 1961 and then he left for Everton not long afterwards.  We had the beginnings of a great team but then Layne, Swan, Kay scandal hit the club badly and the sixties were pretty much a downward spiral thereafter (apart from the 1966 Cup Final of course).

Yep, my dad would agree...didn't he leave cos the chairman wouldn't fund Joe Baker transfer....think Baker ended u at forest

6 minutes ago, someone in my head said:

A manager who wasnt popular with Wednesday fans?

I find that hard to believe.

:wacko:

he wasn't popular with anyone the players ,fans ,or the board who sacked him despite 3 seasons finishing 6th ....he'd be classed as a legend if he did it these days.