Vic Buckingham

Had a very difficult job following Harry Catterick and dealing with Eric Taylor who thought that a big ground would bring success (hence the Joe Baker wrangle) . Later events post 66 were to prove him wrong (ET) all over again. Alan Brown seemed to have the same problems as Vic Buckingham, then departed for pastures new .

Can remember my dad getting more worked up with ET as each manager came and went . These days he would have been forced to laugh at the antics of L***s owner :rolleyes:

What a load of 'flouncers', 'prima donnas', 'no-hopers' we have on here. We are in SIXTH position in what is probably the most competitive league in the world, certainly in England. We lose TWO matches on the trot, and what do we get - the manager's crap, the players are crap, the tactics are crap etc. etc. Think it's time a lot of you went to watch Rotherham! Then you'd have something to moan about. Yes, it hurts, losing at home to Brentford (who in fact out 'Wednesdayed' us, playing us at our own game, and we lost One -Nil to a side that were sitting just one place above us, had scored one goal more than us, were on their own patch, and who have now won One game more than us at home.

Last season there is no doubt that we over-achieved in getting to the P.O Finals, and didn't turn up at wembley, but all is far from lost, and many managers would love to have the squad we have. Every team goes through a sticky patch. We have just got to ours. We will coke through.Believe. 

27 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

What a load of 'flouncers', 'prima donnas', 'no-hopers' we have on here. We are in SIXTH position in what is probably the most competitive league in the world, certainly in England. We lose TWO matches on the trot, and what do we get - the manager's crap, the players are crap, the tactics are crap etc. etc. Think it's time a lot of you went to watch Rotherham! Then you'd have something to moan about. Yes, it hurts, losing at home to Brentford (who in fact out 'Wednesdayed' us, playing us at our own game, and we lost One -Nil to a side that were sitting just one place above us, had scored one goal more than us, were on their own patch, and who have now won One game more than us at home.

Last season there is no doubt that we over-achieved in getting to the P.O Finals, and didn't turn up at wembley, but all is far from lost, and many managers would love to have the squad we have. Every team goes through a sticky patch. We have just got to ours. We will coke through.Believe. 

We've not played well all season, apart from Newcastle away.  Add to that the quality of the squad compared to last season - That's the disappointment. I've been waiting for us to click but apart from flashes we've shown little evidence of convincing displays. I'll stick with Carlos till the end of the season but a top 6 finish is a must for me. Once in the playoffs its a lottery so I wouldn't judge him on those games but if we don't make the top 6...................

Yes for me Harry Catterick was our finest manager, no question. But Vic Buckingham was a very good manager, but probably misunderstood as he tried to bring in some European style influences into our play and training methods, which Wednesdayites interpreted as "soft". However Buckingham never saw his Wednesday teams finish outside the top six in his years.

Although Eric Taylor was known as "Mr Sheff Wed" because he held all the high jobs at Hillsborough, incl Club Secretary (CEO of today) and Team Manager (at separate times), but there was no doubt that he thought that the future of the club lie in its prestigious ground and facilities in order to attract FA Cup Semi Finals, World Cups etc and not necessarily via the route of having the best team and wining trophies. He was always prepared to sell the best players (Quixall and Kay for instance) and rely on either home grown or cheaper replacements.

I had a personal fondness towards Buckingham at the time, although towards the end I was in the minority.

19 hours ago, torryowl said:

he wasn't popular with anyone the players ,fans ,or the board who sacked him despite 3 seasons finishing 6th ....he'd be classed as a legend if he did it these days.

Speak for yourself.   He was popular with me and loads of others.

His problem was that he followed Catterick.  The footy under Buckingham was nicer to watch than under Harry, though not as successful.

2 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Speak for yourself.   He was popular with me and loads of others.

His problem was that he followed Catterick.  The footy under Buckingham was nicer to watch than under Harry, though not as successful.

that's not how I remember it ....the crowds tumbled 7k in the 3 years he was there ,I can only go what I read in various books written over the years about the unrest he caused among the players but have no reason to doubt it when written by authors of the standing of Farnsworth , Brodie &Dickinson ......I think your right that his problem was he followed catterick who ruled with a rod of iron ,Buckingham would roll up in his sports car while the players where training  find a quiet corner get his wedge out the boot  and practice his chipping .they didn't  it seems have any respect for him or he for them as was proved by a story told by keith ellis in one of the books that came  out in the 90s .it was no surprise when the board got shot of him and I don't recall there being much protest by the fans ....there was a thread about him on facebook a few weeks back and he got slaughtered by a couple of Fulham fans for his time there after he left us saying he spent more time with his actor friends than he did at the club .......he may well have been a few years ahead of his time with his views on how the game should be played but Barcelona and Amsterdam where probably  more suited to it than Sheffield.