Paulo di Canio and Paul Alcock incident

Hey guys ive just been watching Premier League years on Sky Sports and it was the season when Di Canio left Wednesday for West Ham just after he had pushed referee Paul Alcock to the ground.

But was there a real reason why we got rid of him? I know got given a 10 match ban and a fine but we never saw him again, I know the incident was bad but if you recall Manchester United stuck with Eric Cantona after he kicked the fan at Crystal Palace and that was far worse than what Di Canio did.

So did anything happen behind closed doors during his ban or did everyone just want rid of him, What Happened?

I was only 8 when this occured in fact that game was my first ever SWFC game so i was wondering if anyone could remember and help me out because i'm a little interested in why we got rid of him because you never no what might have happened had he stayed at hillsborough

Guest mkowl

He threw a sickie and said he was too ill to play. Wouldn't come back to be examined by the club doctor. Until he got a transfer that is. We should have put him on statutory sick pay which was £42 a week at the time. He'd have been back like a shot.

Great player, but (at the risk of upsetting his sychophantic fans) the man is a complete tvvat, and was part of the demise of the club in the 90's :angry:

Dave Richards never played for us :mellow:

He threw a sickie and said he was too ill to play. Wouldn't come back to be examined by the club doctor. Until he got a transfer that is. We should have put him on statutory sick pay which was £42 a week at the time. He'd have been back like a shot.

Great player, but (at the risk of upsetting his sychophantic fans) the man is a complete tvvat, and was part of the demise of the club in the 90's :angry:

Wednesday hung him out to dry, FACT. He deserved better. Any decent manager would have stuck by their player, ala Cantona and look at how he repayed United.

Danny Wilson, the clubs worst manager.

Guest intercity0wl

It did'nt look good for sir Dave

The club and Manager did not have the B**locks or backbone to back him up for whatever reason.

Could you ever have imagined Alex Ferguson doing anything other than Backing Eric Cantona after his far worse flying kung fu kick on an opposition supporter ?. he deserved better than what he got in terms of support from within at least publicly if not in private, but like i said no b**lock or backbone

Weak Manager at the time.

Weak Chairman at the time.

Barry Davies on match of the day said "Surley this is the last we see of him in English Football" The club didnt think of the guys value they just tried to make the club look in a good light and do the right thing. In comes Harry Rednapp rubbing his hands, couple of months later Paulo is the medias & fans darling once again.

We didnt have a freakin clue how to deal with that situation. And the financial mess we are in now is partly down to that episode.

Agree with you 100%.

We did better than that - we fined him his wages for the time he was suspended - so he wasn't even getting £42 a week.

But the way we treated him was ridiculous - even if you think he's a moron and should never have played for us again - there was still no reason for us to devalue him so much because in the end we not only lost possibly our most gifted player ever - but we also received a fraction of what he was worth.

The way we treated him was akin to burning down the stadium if we don't get world cup games

The club were the losers in the saga - and for that reason the handling of the situation was horrificly stupid

But never mind - it served it's real purpose didn't it? Dave got the top job and a knighthood.....

We did better than that - we fined him his wages for the time he was suspended - so he wasn't even getting £42 a week.

But the way we treated him was ridiculous - even if you think he's a moron and should never have played for us again - there was still no reason for us to devalue him so much because in the end we not only lost possibly our most gifted player ever - but we also received a fraction of what he was worth.

The way we treated him was akin to burning down the stadium if we don't get world cup games

The club were the losers in the saga - and for that reason the handling of the situation was horrificly stupid

But never mind - it served it's real purpose didn't it? Dave got the top job and a knighthood.....

I agree with this bit. It has always been my opinion that the Cantona incident and the Di Canio incident was different.

Cantona was suffering foul mouthed xenophobic abuse from a cocky cunt who thought he was untouchable. If I remember correctly weren't the police involved? If so I believe that was correct, but Man Utd were right to keep it in-house. They made little fuss IIRC and tried to alomost pretend the incident didn't happen, whilst no doubt dealing with him internally.

Di Canio assaulted (maybe comically - but it was still assault nonetheless) a match official because he spat his dummy out over deservedly being sent off. You can not have players behaving like that, especially ones at the top of their profession looked up at by kids watching the game. See the way refs are treated on the parks today for the reason. It was absolutely the correct decision to not stand by his actions, but I take Scram's point that we should have handled it better so that we didn't have our pants pulled down by West Ham. I'd love to hear both sides of the stoey as to how he was treated internally.

The miss handling of that situation is probably one of the biggest reasons we have been in the state we've been for the last 10 years, West Ham got him for a pittence.

Didn't DiCanio say he'd definately play for us again too or something like that? Still hung him out to dry.

He was always looking for a way out (ideally to a London club with a bigger media profile). How did he describe Sheffield again? - something along the lines of it looking like the Chechen warzone.

Great attacking player, but nothing more than a passenger when the other side had the ball.

Oh - and a fascist c u n t too.Di Canio.bmp

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

According to his autobiography the background staff ie chairman etc didn't want him there. Because of the bad press he was getting day in day out they just wanted to get shot of him. Apparently Danny Wilson had no b0ll0cks to stand up to them and no one got in touch with him until he was told he had to leave the club.

According to his autobiography the background staff ie chairman etc didn't want him there. Because of the bad press he was getting day in day out they just wanted to get shot of him. Apparently Danny Wilson had no b0ll0cks to stand up to them and no one got in touch with him until he was told he had to leave the club.

The way I remember it, the club couldn`t make contact with him for weeks. He and his agent refused to talk to the club, and only came out of hiding when it was too late to rectify the situation. He engineered his own departure. Great player, total tw@t.

Hey guys ive just been watching Premier League years on Sky Sports and it was the season when Di Canio left Wednesday for West Ham just after he had pushed referee Paul Alcock to the ground.

But was there a real reason why we got rid of him? I know got given a 10 match ban and a fine but we never saw him again, I know the incident was bad but if you recall Manchester United stuck with Eric Cantona after he kicked the fan at Crystal Palace and that was far worse than what Di Canio did.

So did anything happen behind closed doors during his ban or did everyone just want rid of him, What Happened?

I was only 8 when this occured in fact that game was my first ever SWFC game so i was wondering if anyone could remember and help me out because i'm a little interested in why we got rid of him because you never no what might have happened had he stayed at hillsborough

Dave Richards was lining up his role at the FA and probably instructed Wilson to hang him out to dry. We should have made a big deal of it in front of the camera's, but had a quiet word with Di Danio behind the scenes.

Fancy dans were out, and the likes of Andy Booth led the line. The start of the end