Forestieri and where to play him

This is a tough one, most of us would say, play him wide left and pair Fletcher and Hooper in the middle., mainly because we think this will maximise our goal output. It's not quite as simple as that though, is it. We have to think of the overall shape of the side, and where each player will be most effective. Carlos has said previously, that he likes Forestieri in a more central role, because he can influence the game more from there. Indeed, he played him centrally quite often, especially in the run in. Then there is Forestieri himself, he says he too prefers to play in the middle, as opposed to wide left. In truth, I'm torn, I've seen him equally effective in both roles, but the probability is that he will end up playing where the manager thinks he can do the most damage. 

Edited by gurujuan

28 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

This is a tough one, most of us would say, play him wide left and pair Fletcher and Hooper in the middle., mainly because we think this will maximise our goal output. It's not quite as simple as that though, is it. We have to think of the overall shape of the side, and where each player will be most effective. Carlos has said previously, that he likes Forestieri in a more central role, because he can influence the game more from there. Indeed, he played him centrally quite often, especially in the run in. Then there is Forestieri himself, he says he too prefers to play in the middle, as opposed to wide left. In truth, I'm torn, I've seen him equally effective in both roles, but the probability is that he will end up playing where the manager thinks he can do the most damage. 

i also think he will play where the manager thinks he will do the most damage ......

I'm in the free role camp. Play 4312 just put him in between the midfield and strikers and just tell him to go do his thing. We'd still have the width wit the full backs and we could have Lee, Bannan and a but of a bruiser in the middle. That puts Hooper and Fletcher up front. Job done Premier league here we come lol 

Good enough to play pretty much anywhere in midfield or attack. Think hes at his best when running at defenders and facing goal. Problem with him and hooper up front is he drops too deep leaving hooper up top on his own, a role in which he is not best at. Fletcher can play the lone striker role a lot better than hooper. Be interesting to see how matias comes on this season. If he shows he can cut it at left midfield, we might see a lot of fletcher and foristieri up front as a two. We certainly starting to have options in our attack. Sometimes it will be fletcher and hooper, sometimes fletcher and foristieri. Either way, both are formiddable partnerships in this division and should see us score plenty

48 minutes ago, Blueblood said:

I'm in the free role camp. Play 4312 just put him in between the midfield and strikers and just tell him to go do his thing. We'd still have the width wit the full backs and we could have Lee, Bannan and a but of a bruiser in the middle. That puts Hooper and Fletcher up front. Job done Premier league here we come lol 

Probably my preferred set up, and maybe something near to what Carlos had in mind when he began last season. As we all know, he switched to a more standard 4-4-2, with, you'd have to say, improved results. Might be further complicated if Matias continues with his good form, as he's not exactly a winger, more of a wide attacker. Come to think of it, he too could play that free role., with Forestier pushed up front. What it shows of course, is that we have plenty of options in forward areas

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Probably my preferred set up, and maybe something near to what Carlos had in mind when he began last season. As we all know, he switched to a more standard 4-4-2, with, you'd have to say, improved results. Might be further complicated if Matias continues with his good form, as he's not exactly a winger, more of a wide attacker. Come to think of it, he too could play that free role., with Forestier pushed up front. What it shows of course, is that we have plenty of options in forward areas

Options is what its all about. Having players who can come in and make a difference. Of course we have to strike the balance of keeping players motivated and happy whilst they might not be getting as much game time as they would like. FF would walk into any team in this league and think we need to find a system that gets the best out of our best players

35 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That bloody  Matias, coming over here and throwing a spanner in the works lol 

We have four outstanding players in our front six.

Bannan - but only if played centrally.

Hooper - but only if played with a strong partner

Fletcher - the strong partner

Fernando - brilliant wide left and brilliant as second striker.

The only way to play all four is to play Fernando left.