bronco layne , how good was he ?

Guest eggsarnie

How good was Bronco Layne? He was very very very good - very very direct and deadly. Not the kind to have made it into Ramsey's England team, though IMHO - not Sir Alf's type of player. Surely Peter Swan would have had a World Cup winner's medal though - had he not been such an @rse as to get flu and then get involved in the bribes scandal.

You must remember that all of Bronco's goals were scored in the old First Division, now the Premiership. In his first season, 39 appearances and 29 goals, including 2 goals both home and away against the Blunts, whose fans naturally hated him with a passion. I was at the match at the Lane and one goal was a thunderbolt freekick from 25 years which ripped into the net at their Kop end, an unbelievable strike, He also scored 1 FA Cup goal that season, so 30 goals in total.

His second {and last) season, 35 appearances and "only" 23 league goals. However, Bronco scored 5 goals in the Inter City Fairs Cup, a precursor to the present European football, in 3 appearances! So a total of 28 goals that season.

In total, then, 81 appearances and 58 goals. Only Derek Dooley ever had a better strike rate than Bronco.

Comparisons with Hirsty? Why bother, both are Wednesday legends, Hirsty all left foot, Bronco more right foot and a great header of the ball for his size.

Much has previously been written about the bribes scandal, still very painful for all of us who lived through it. There must have been many others involved, but Wednesday suffered by far the worst. Bronco was expected to play for England, no doubt about it, before the scandal hit. Swanny would have played many more times than the 19 caps he achieved. The team went from consistently in the top six, to relegated in 1970. A very sad decline, some of which must be down to the bribes scandal. But Bronco Layne will always be one of my greatest heroes.

You must remember that all of Bronco's goals were scored in the old First Division, now the Premiership. In his first season, 39 appearances and 29 goals, including 2 goals both home and away against the Blunts, whose fans naturally hated him with a passion. I was at the match at the Lane and one goal was a thunderbolt freekick from 25 years which ripped into the net at their Kop end, an unbelievable strike, He also scored 1 FA Cup goal that season, so 30 goals in total.

His second {and last) season, 35 appearances and "only" 23 league goals. However, Bronco scored 5 goals in the Inter City Fairs Cup, a precursor to the present European football, in 3 appearances! So a total of 28 goals that season.

In total, then, 81 appearances and 58 goals. Only Derek Dooley ever had a better strike rate than Bronco.

Comparisons with Hirsty? Why bother, both are Wednesday legends, Hirsty all left foot, Bronco more right foot and a great header of the ball for his size.

Much has previously been written about the bribes scandal, still very painful for all of us who lived through it. There must have been many others involved, but Wednesday suffered by far the worst. Bronco was expected to play for England, no doubt about it, before the scandal hit. Swanny would have played many more times than the 19 caps he achieved. The team went from consistently in the top six, to relegated in 1970. A very sad decline, some of which must be down to the bribes scandal. But Bronco Layne will always be one of my greatest heroes.

Fascinating thread. Hirsty was pretty useful with his right foot too as I recall.

His thunderbolt shot is what i remember most.They all have a job keeping the ball down now, even with a side foot, but the balls then were much heavier. i scored a lot of goals in schoolboy football but I couldn't get the ball over the bar from the edge of the box. Bronco would shoot on site from any range with a startling ferocity which only Charlton could match at that time. He hadn't much finesse, more of a bulldozer.

When ever anyone talks about a knife through the heart ...

the only event that compares with the "Bribes Scandal"

was losing the 1966 FA Cup final.

Perhaps they were related ..... they were very close together in time.

Even now some half a century later they still hurt.

Apart from the fantastic 1965/66 cup run, every match drawn away

... there were disappointment ...

..... one was Ron Springett, who at the time was head and shoulders above Gordon Banks,

never got a smell in the 66 World Cup, and only got a medal a few years

before he died.  He could catch the ball, banks could only punch.

But by Christ the supporters were fantastic ... with no complete fools

you see at some games now and some even performing on here.

If I recall correctly The People announced that the next weeks edition would give details of how the players of one First Division team had a collection to compensate their opponents for letting them win......................

....................the following week there was absolutely nothing, and the F.A. and the Football League did absolutely nothing.

A total disgrace.

I don't think that's quite right. The FA did plenty.....they knew the story went right to the heart of the England team but with the World Cup two years away they couldn't let it go any further.

The story broke the weekend of the Scotland v England game at Hampden; all the FA bigwigs were there and I read somewhere that they all travelled back to London on the train the following day in total astonishment that The People had published it. So they acted fast to put the lid on it and make Bronco and co the scapegoats when really it barely scratched the surface.

The story shaped the club's destiny more than just in terms of losing two players. Vic Buckingham's contract was up for renewal but he didn't get one despite three sixth place finishes because the Board saw his easy going attitude as part of the problem. They wanted a disciplinarian.....enter Alan Brown.....who took the club to Wembley but ultimately started the downward spiral. Makes you wonder what might have happened if Buckingham had stayed.

Edited by fredmciverslovechild

Layne was a beast,and struck the ball like a rocket,I loved him,simular to Hirst in many ways,like others say not as pacey as Hirst.

The Betting scandal was brought to an end because of the world cup and a few big names escaped,one went onto a sucsessfull managerial career,and certainly cant be named over the internet!

Ron Springett was originally named in the peoples expose of the S6 betting ring,but none of the other accused named him,and there was nothing to link RS to the other 3.

It was a dark day losing two irreplaceable talents,but there were roumers both were bieng tapped up by other clubs with more ambition anyhow,and Swanny certainly thought he was on his way.

Edited by legendaryswan

Hurst 

Bigger versoon of Hooper. More like Hurst really. Threw his career away along woth Swan and Tony Kay.

Bigger versoon of Hooper. More like Hurst really. Threw his career away along woth Swan and Tony Kay.

Geoff Hurst?

Remember the Bronco and Swannie comeback game, think Bronco was sub if I remember right. Also remember a big box of balloons on the pitch 

Guest eggsarnie

Great read so far, I wasn't trying to compare layne v hirst as who is better, they just looked very similar and as hirst was the striker of my era I wanted to see something to judge layne against

If that makes any sense ?

I don't think that's quite right. The FA did plenty.....they knew the story went right to the heart of the England team but with the World Cup two years away they couldn't let it go any further.

The story broke the weekend of the Scotland v England game at Hampden; all the FA bigwigs were there and I read somewhere that they all travelled back to London on the train the following day in total astonishment that The People had published it. So they acted fast to put the lid on it and make Bronco and co the scapegoats when really it barely scratched the surface.

The story shaped the club's destiny more than just in terms of losing two players. Vic Buckingham's contract was up for renewal but he didn't get one despite three sixth place finishes because the Board saw his easy going attitude as part of the problem. They wanted a disciplinarian.....enter Alan Brown.....who took the club to Wembley but ultimately started the downward spiral. Makes you wonder what might have happened if Buckingham had stayed.

I think you misunderstood what a meant.

Yes, the F.A. acted in relation to the Owls players. They did bugger all in response to the allegations made in the People (and other teams were named) except throw a blanket over the whole proceedings.

daveyboy66

It was that disaster against France in the Euro's....Springett  took the blame although the defence was shi te

Fully agree. unfortunately, England made a late change and played jack Charlton at CH instead of Swan. The floodlights were also very badly positioned.

Only time Springett 'let England down'. He never played again, but that great lump Charlton did. I had no complaints of Charlton as a Manager, but as a CH he couldn't lick Swanny's boots.

It was that disaster against France in the Euro's....Springett  took the blame although the defence was shi te

Fully agree. unfortunately, England made a late change and played jack Charlton at CH instead of Swan. The floodlights were also very badly positioned.

Only time Springett 'let England down'. He never played again, but that great lump Charlton did. I had no complaints of Charlton as a Manager, but as a CH he couldn't lick Swanny's boots.

Yep Jack was a good centre half but Swanny was the dogs doodahs.

'The People' led the so-called corruption scandal by announcing that they would name a large number of players who were 'throwing games' including a large number of International players. The only names mentioned were Swan (Eng.Int) Layne (not International)and Kay (U21 international), and that they were going to name a further number of International Players in further editions. Not one was further named, the piece immediately went on to lower league and non-league clubs, then petered out. The feeling at the time was that several of the top echelons of Football were involved, but the FA certainly smothered the story, leaving the Wednesday players stranded. They were never charged with 'throwing games' but of a much lesser charge of gambling on soccer matches.

The FA immediately suspended the W.Players 'SINE-DIE' a sentence which after a long time, but well after their 'career' was over, was rescinded.

I firmly believe that there were other, bigger names involved, and that this was covered up. Wouldn't allow 'People' in the house afterwards.

i 'honestly' never understood why the crowd applauded on the day they came back...

i looked on and thought 'these two sold the club i loved down the river, they threw a result, they shafted the club, their fellow players, and the fans, WHY APPLAUD, where's the rotten fruit?'

i do personally think there not names to 'champion'...

should anyone come on these pages and attempt to 'champion' a certain former chairman, they'd get short shrift...

yet i imagine he though what he was doing at the time was right, you CAN'T be right throwing matches...