Danny has shown he's not afraid to have a young GK as number one, so what does that mean for Charles going forward - think he's a chance of being our no.1 next season?

Rumour mill on Sunday was talks over a new contract have stalled and his contract runs until next summer.

If we go down the route of another Beadle this summer - young, up and coming GK - may that make Charles' decision for him? He'll have seen how the club handled Wildsmith/Dawson over the past 8-10 years and may think he's a better chance of developing and being a no.1 away from Hillsborough.

20 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Always tough for young keepers to get game time. 

Really hope we can get him on a long term deal then get him out on loan next season.

Charles as well as few other U-21 players MUST go out on loan if We will be playing Championship football next season.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, malek said:

Charles as well as few other U-21 players MUST go out on loan if We will be playing Championship football next season.

This, that or be involved (assuming no one there is pushing for any spot really) so loans is a must. I do feel though that if we go down this manager will actually play youth. Not like ones gone by where he said they get their chance then choose to play CM or LWBs at CB. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

Lessons need to be learnt from Wildsmith and Dawson who just didn’t get loans quick enough.

Apparently, Wildsmith has turned down a new deal at Derby and is wanted by 3 or 4 Championship clubs.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

Technically he's very very good. My gut feeling though is genetics are going to hold him back from being a top keeper, his height is an issue.

He’s 6”1 isn’t he?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Danny has shown he's not afraid to have a young GK as number one, so what does that mean for Charles going forward - think he's a chance of being our no.1 next season?

Rumour mill on Sunday was talks over a new contract have stalled and his contract runs until next summer.

If we go down the route of another Beadle this summer - young, up and coming GK - may that make Charles' decision for him? He'll have seen how the club handled Wildsmith/Dawson over the past 8-10 years and may think he's a better chance of developing and being a no.1 away from Hillsborough.

Multiple multi-year contracts worth thousands of pounds a week?

6 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

It won't be 'another beadle' we'll get the same beadle back in loan probably. He needs a lot more development to be ready for Brighton's first team, so think it's extremely likely he will be coming back here. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Ain’t no way he’s 6”1. They always over inflate heights. He looks barely 5”11

It's true. Published heights ie on Wikipedia, on other websites and reference books are often incorrect. You only have to stand near a player to realise. Players who are meant to be my height were often 2 or 3 inches shorter.

18 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Always tough for young keepers to get game time. 

Really hope we can get him on a long term deal then get him out on loan next season.

This is the challenge, isn't it - there are so many young GK's out there at bigger clubs who are needing game time; are there many takers for ours?

I'd be looking at the likes of Chesterfield as an option. From the little I've seen of Charles, he'd be sold at that level and if we are happy to cover all costs, I'm sure it would be an appealing option.

If the rumoured contract stalling is due to wanting game time, then what? Is he close to being our no.1 any time soon? If we do go down, is that his chance? Not sure I'd be overly comfortable with him being no.1 in the Championship.