2nd highest average attendance this century!

49 minutes ago, New Zealand Owls said:

Jnteresting that, only us and Sunderland the outliers here. Poor season's but great support 

Sunderland have phenomenal  support  .

• Like 6

15 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Best fans in the country......bar none!

And yet we have numerous threads saying things like  hillsboro is like a library and the most fickle fans in the country .....but no doubt we turn out in good numbers to say how crap we've  been   

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

We've only been a top half side about 5 times in 24 years at this level and 2 of those were 12th place finishes I believe. 

Yep inept ownership is robbing the club of its rightful place in english football which in my view is at least top 6 in the second tier.  

I have to say that a lot of times I have seen the attendance figure come up and I think its a good 3k - 4k more then is actually in the stadium.

Yes I know the reason is its based on tickets sold and not the number of people who turn up.

Which makes it even more strange that our tickets are over priced and a good many people buy them but don't bother to go.

12 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I have to say that a lot of times I have seen the attendance figure come up and I think its a good 3k - 4k more then is actually in the stadium.

Yes I know the reason is its based on tickets sold and not the number of people who turn up.

Which makes it even more strange that our tickets are over priced and a good many people buy them but don't bother to go.

I think the majority of season tickets holders miss a few games a year. I certainly did. With a guess I think most should divide the cost of their season ticket by 20 games not 23.

24 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yep inept ownership is robbing the club of its rightful place in english football which in my view is at least top 6 in the second tier.  

Only for the majority of the last 60 years ....

Just now, Sham67 said:

So is Doncaster, yet they don’t average 40k.

They don't have a historically successful football club, so it's not in the blood to follow them

And a hundred years ago Sunderland was 3 times the size of Doncaster

45 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

That doesnt half make Wednesday sound entitled.
No one has a right to be in the Premier League or fighting for promotion from the Championship, it has to be earned.
Although I agree that Wednesday for the past generation or so are punching below there weight.

If you look at the populations for English cities, Leeds and Sheffield have so much potential if they got their act together off the pitch. Leeds being the one team city should easily be matching attendances of Newcastle & Liverpool. The place that really baffles me from a current and historical perspective is Bristol, a one city (moderately successful) team there would easily start drawing crowds of 45k+.

Edited by Owl_For_a_Lifetime

Undoubtedly incredible support, in comparison what would our neighbours be getting? under 20k I'd have thought!?

I guess with 20k ST sold (many of which ( myself included) were paying in Dec 2022) at comparably reasonable prices it was always going to be a good average attendance. I actually think under Röhl we've witnessed some great football at times (certainly comparable with the first CC season 2015) and our Hillsborough form under Röhl has even verged on impressive (until recent disappointing draws)

The sad fact is that DC's ST strategy is now about to go dramatically wrong as current renewal figures (13000) make it likely that we'll struggle for 15k Season Tickets and I would doubt that many of the 5,000+ not renewing will be paying on the gate prices too often. 

Röhl certainly has Brough a feel good factor to Hillsborough (only dashed when DC tends to visit) that has contributed massively to the good average. 

Our hope now is that DC listens to Danny in the next month or so, gets a capable squad assembled before the end of June and we get a great uninterrupted and uneventful pre-season behind us (hopefully ready to have a go at the top half of the Champ next season) and some of us 5000+ are just too tempted with silly priced Season Tickets over the summer with some serious FOMO. (not sure any of this will happen).

Cue DC sacking Danny with 'different vision for the club ' given for the reason

To me we seem to have pretty much pro rata population wise match day support as any other club including the Blunts. However we seem to excell pulling in extra thousands of support when needed, during the one off big games. Thats where we seem to be better than most clubs with a foundation of support Un**ed don't have. UTO.

12 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

That doesnt half make Wednesday sound entitled.
No one has a right to be in the Premier League or fighting for promotion from the Championship, it has to be earned.
Although I agree that Wednesday for the past generation or so are punching below there weight.

As if it does, it's not like im saying we should be top 6 in the top league.   My personal view is a club our size and support should be finishing in the top 26 league positions in english football.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

As if it does, it's not like im saying we should be top 6 in the top league.   My personal view is a club our size and support should be finishing in the top 26 league positions in english football.   

I've always viewed us as a top 20 club.  In terms of historic attendances, trophys won,  league placings and tradition the various internet sites still place us thereabouts in a table of the last 140 years.

Certainly until the last 20 years of foreign money (which skewed things massively) that's where we should be.   It's not entitlement it's just how I view it.

The last 25 years have been by far the worst period in our history, but our fans have been outstanding throughout..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onslow said:

They do, but it helps being a one team city

Does it ?....sunderland average 15.3 % of there population us and the blunts combined average 7.4 % of sheffield ....leeds is 6.5% and newcastle 17.3% .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Nothing strange about it. Not everyone is resident in Sheffield 365 days each year. As a senior ticket holder it cannot be  transferable to someone who needs a full adult ticket without paying almost all the adult ticket cost.