When did parachute payments start....and did we get owt?

51 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

We never have any luck with timing...Much like the change from two points to three. lol

Like the season we would have got into Europe in the 80s, if English teams hadn’t been banned. 

We always miss out 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, agentwalker said:

I think the season after we went down so just missed out.

I've seen loads of comments to this effect on here over the years.

Unless I'm missing something, parachute payments weren't introduced until 2006-07 - six years after we were relegated.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rogers said:

Like the season we would have got into Europe in the 80s, if English teams hadn’t been banned. 

We always miss out 

That really wound me up that one, couldn't believe we would be playing in Europe....and then we weren't....was the ban  from the Heysel stadium final.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

That really wound me up that one, couldn't believe we would be playing in Europe....and then we weren't....was the ban  from the Heysel stadium final.

Yes, it was because of the Heysel Stadium tragedy that English clubs were banned from European competitions.

But EUFA didn’t punish themselves for

1) Allowing a European Cup Final to be played in a such a decrepit stadium.

2) Allowing the selling of tickets to Juventus fans in the same area as where Liverpool fans were.

Add them together….recipe for disaster.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

We missed out on Europe twice.

1985-6 when we finished 5th.

1990-1 when we won the league cup.  A limited number of English clubs were allowed back into Europe at the time, but league cup winners missed out. Prior to the ban, the winners had a place.

But not always unlucky Alf.

1990-1 we only finished 3rd in the 2nd division behind Oldham and WHU. But we went up automatically.  Notts County won the playoffs.  Reason was the top division was expanding by two teams.