Players That Aren’t Quite Elite Level …

Who is in the tier down from ‘elite’  ?

Great players but not quite in the recognised list of top players. 

Someone like Inter Milan / Argentina striker Lautaro Martinez is one for me…  seems to do the business for them but doesn’t get much recognition globally or get linked with big moves TOO much… he gets goals, maybe there’s and X factor missing 

19 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Who is in the tier down from ‘elite’  ?

Great players but not quite in the recognised list of top players. 

Someone like Inter Milan / Argentina striker Lautaro Martinez is one for me…  seems to do the business for them but doesn’t get much recognition globally or get linked with big moves TOO much… he gets goals, maybe there’s and X factor missing 

Before you said Martinez I thought of Immobile, who is clearly hampered by the English version of his surname. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Big fan of that, actually. Always thought needing to see players do it in England is a load of absolute t*ss.

Got to love those guys who are happy to just dominate their own league for years and seem content to do just that. Bonus points if it's Serie A for the nostalgia of guys like Inzaghi, Del Piero and Batistuta. 

Griezmann

Brilliant player and talisman for Athletico during his two spells there but for some reason never got going at Barca. 

Looking at his record though, it doesn't look too shabby for Barca - So what went wrong there?

14 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Big fan of that, actually. Always thought needing to see players do it in England is a load of absolute t*ss.

Got to love those guys who are happy to just dominate their own league for years and seem content to do just that. Bonus points if it's Serie A for the nostalgia of guys like Inzaghi, Del Piero and Batistuta. 

Appreciate he had a spell in Germany with Schalke, but Raul is one of those who seems to get forgotten about these days. 

Reyt player. 

• Like 2

Scheva was probably the best striker in the world before his move.

Something about 90s/00s Serie A. Park all the dodgy stuff, and they just seemed to have so many quality players. Every team seemed to have at least one name.

Don't Parma in 99 have Buffon, Cannavaro, Veron, Thuram and Crespo among others :duntmatter:

I would have the tier down from elite as being someone who couldn't make the jump from Championship to Prem.

If you play several seasons in the top division of any of the major leagues across Europe then you are an elite player in my mind.

Edited by BridportOwl

1 minute ago, BridportOwl said:

I would have the tier down from elite as being someone who couldn't make the jump from Championship to Prem.

If you play several seasons in the top division of any of the major leagues across Europe then you are an elite player in my mind.

Yeah, but it's not as much fun talking about Darren Huckerby :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

Shevchenko seemed like a god then he moved to Chelsea. Same with Morientes and Liverpool. 

And Crespo on moving to Chelsea

But I put that down to them rather than him

He was definitely an elite player

4 hours ago, Skyline said:

Griezmann

Another good shout… his goals and movement are top notch, done a lot for France too but people don’t say ‘he’s world class’ for some reason. 

I would’ve liked him to have to gone to someone like Liverpool (for style reasons) 

33 minutes ago, scram said:

Tbf, there have been so many strikers who have gone to Chelsea and struggled since the money came in all those years ago.

Only really Drogba and Costa excelled. Anelka did ok there too. Giroud as well tbf.

Kezman, Crespo, Morata, Lukaku, Werner, Schevchenko, Torres, Pizarro, Higuain, Falcao, Pato and a few others didn't cut it there or struggled to varying degrees.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scram said:

Yeah he was quality. Even at Chelsea I think he got a decent amount of goals just not at the same ratio at other places. 250 goals across 540 games in his career as a whole 😅

Hard to define, by elite do you mean the very top level like a World XI plus subs? Or Premier League level?

Immediately came to mind was Trippier. Does it consistently at Premier League level, has done it sporadically with England, but probably misses a bit of pace to make him absolutely elite.