Relegation Run-In 2024

5 hours ago, LJM Owl said:

Hudds win is the way better result for us statistically for relegation chance - if we lose our last two games by 1 goal each time, Hudds beat Birmingham by 1 goal, it would mean that we could still stay up if Hudds lose 6-0 to Ipswich on the last day (assuming Brum don’t get anything against Norwich).

If Brum draw, it means that we HAVE to get another point to stay up at least.

If Brum win, we HAVE to win at least 1 game to stay up due to the massive goal difference swing needed.

Two draws would be sufficient to pass Plymouth if they lost both matches. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Craig60 said:

Two draws would be sufficient to pass Plymouth if they lost both matches. 

If’s and buts. We play at 3 on Saturday as do they so we need to win. All the rest is fantasy and hindsight. That’s why some games are must wins in context and not just in the literal sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

I think Plymouth and Blackburn will be fine.

Our situation probably hinges greatly on the outcome of Hudders v Brum and that worries me a lot.

I agree, a week or two ago the thought of them two playing each other gave me satisfaction. Now it's worrying.

1 hour ago, lukeyswfc said:

I think Plymouth and Blackburn will be fine.

Our situation probably hinges greatly on the outcome of Hudders v Brum and that worries me a lot.

I know what you mean. If Birmingham win, it wouldn't take a crazy set of results for us to go down on 51 points. Still, no point thinking about it too much.

A week ago I certainly thought we were more or less down and it would need 2 wins minimum so nothing has changed. It’s impossible to predict other results but anyone suggesting two rivals playing each other is a bad thing is only assuming they’d both lose their next game and that we would also lose. Another way of looking at it is that at least one of the teams we need to stay ahead of will be below us heading into the final day. Whatever happens we need something at Sunderland so it will be between a draw or a win.

Why is it the Wednesday way, we get the most points for third place in league one ever where most seasons that would get you automatically promoted, and now we could get most points in championship and get relegated.

2020/21 - 44 points for safety

2021/22 - 38 points for safety

2022/23 - 45 points for safety

This season we are on 47 points and if we lose our final two matches we will get relegated, if B'ham win even 50 points could easily not be enough..  Röhl has done fantastic.  A draw or Hudds win and we get a result against West Brom and it still goes down to the last day of the season, we need to hope Norwich put out a strong team to keep up their momentum and try to get ahead of West Brom rather than play a weakened team, although unfortunately I think the later might be more likely.  Ipswich will likely whatever happens still put out a strong team against Hudds.

On that basis we really want Hudds to beat B'ham as I think they are likely to have a harder game out of the three of us and B'ham potentially the easiest game..

• Like 5

Expecting Plymouth to pick up the points they need from their remaining two fixtures - away to Millwall and home to Hull.

Expecting Blackburn to do the same - they're at home to Coventry, who look killed off after that FA Cup semi-final, and away to Leicester.

That leaves two from Wednesday, Huddersfield and Birmingham.

Huddersfield are needing a minor miracle - hopefully, they'll win this weekend, but they'll need something at Ipswich too.

Birmingham possibly have the easier run in with their game at Huddersfield and then at home to Norwich.

We, of course have, WBA at home and Sunderland away.

The form guide for the last 5 games for WBA and Sunderland is one win each. Hoping we've caught them both at the right time.

Tomorrow is going to be a long and stressful day!

• Like 2

Could be just as easily be QPR going down  50 pts , home game tonight against Leeds and maybe needing something from their last match especially if Birmingham and ourselves win tomorrow. 

same argument for Stoke too. 

im sure it will all be clear as mud after the weekend’s fixtures lol 

On 23/04/2024 at 01:53, catdog1121 said:

Why is it the Wednesday way, we get the most points for third place in league one ever where most seasons that would get you automatically promoted, and now we could get most points in championship and get relegated.

2020/21 - 44 points for safety

2021/22 - 38 points for safety

2022/23 - 45 points for safety

Peterborough were relegated with 54 points in 2012/13.

Blackburn went down with 51 points in 2016/17. 

51 points should see us safe I reckon.

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Expecting Plymouth to pick up the points they need from their remaining two fixtures - away to Millwall and home to Hull.

Expecting Blackburn to do the same - they're at home to Coventry, who look killed off after that FA Cup semi-final, and away to Leicester.

That leaves two from Wednesday, Huddersfield and Birmingham.

Leeds ought to be able to beat QPR, and Southampton beat Stoke. Huddersfield's goal difference is bad enough that if they both lose their final game as well, and all three end on 50, (would require huddersfield winning at Ipswich, really unlikely), Huddersfield would be behind them on goal difference, but if Birmingham get 4 points from their last two, they can go above both those teams.

I think they will stay up, but it's not out of the question that by the final whistle on Saturday, Huddersfield are down and there are 6 teams from 47-50 points, none of which are safe

14 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Could be just as easily be QPR going down  50 pts , home game tonight against Leeds and maybe needing something from their last match especially if Birmingham and ourselves win tomorrow. 

same argument for Stoke too. 

If Stoke need a result on the last day, it would be surprising if they lost at home against nothing-to-play-for Bristol. There's probably more chance of QPR losing against Leeds and Coventry (albeit they have nothing to play for now either).

For that to send them down though, Birmingham need to win both of their games, we'd need a draw and a win, Plymouth need at least two draws and Blackburn need at least one draw. Quite possible, but for all five of those things to happen seems unlikely. 

I'd swap positions with them anyway!

Ideally. QPR Leeds draw. Keeps QPR still not safe and Leeds on 91 don't pull away from Diswich who hopefully lose to Hull tomorrow but beat coventry on Tuesday to move to 92. Which depending on Leicester result at Preston on Monday (a loss keeps them on 94) we would still have 2 or 3 teams still chasing the autos on last weekend. Hull could then still make playoffs(72) as they would still be at most 3 points behind WBA and Norwich(75 both max - hopefully still 72 for WBA).  Which would mean all those games involving Udders, Bum, Plymouth still have something riding on them as top 2 and playoff spots 5 and 6 still tight. All if's, but's and maybe's and I know, i know, if yer maw had baws she'd be yer da.