Maddy Cusack

Heart breaking story. I think most people have had horrendous bosses that make their working life unduly difficult. I think in women's football there is this juxtaposition of being a professional sport, the glamour of that, and the big characters against the fact that it's a poorly paid job, so you have a guy that's probably read all the autobiographies of these hard managers like Clough, Capello etc, applying the same principles to normal working people.

If he's froze Maddy Cusack out then she's no doubt fearing for her livelihood whereas Beckham for example knows he's made a fortune anyway and will easily move on elsewhere if he's fallen out with Capello.

Due to that I feel somewhat sorry for both sides as he's doing what he thinks it's required of a football manager by the sounds of it, United have said he's clear, but the family hold him responsible. Awful. 

That's a fantastic article, don't feel like that's going to be the end of it, especially with the lack of transparency to the family.

I think a lot of clubs would just get rid of Jonathan Morgan as manager, because it's not worth the PR risk. 

This has an awful feel about it doesn't it? . Echoes a few other issues with male managers and coaches in the women's game. 

There's a mention at the end of former club Chaplain Delroy Hall, who I have worked with and know to be a man of compassion and high integrity.  His resignation would be in keeping with the club trying to brush this under the carpet and hoping it will go away. 

• Like 1

What an awful tragedy. 

What this highlights is that there are some huge issues in football

There are some truly terrible people work in the game and some are very proud of being known as being "tough" - aka bullies.

It's a very difficult call to make whether somebody's behaviour crossed the line - if it was vindictive, targeted and abuse - or if it was a player/players feeling that way because they aren't being picked

I've seen both sides and seen some horrendous behaviour from managers and coaches

Sadly c*nts are not uncommon in the game

RIP Maddie

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bannofan said:

This has an awful feel about it doesn't it? . Echoes a few other issues with male managers and coaches in the women's game. 

There's a mention at the end of former club Chaplain Delroy Hall, who I have worked with and know to be a man of compassion and high integrity.  His resignation would be in keeping with the club trying to brush this under the carpet and hoping it will go away. 

This whole episode is heartbreaking

I fear the 'investigation' was far from forensic as the article eludes to and was just being seen to do the right thing , why else wouldn't you let the family read it?

Surely a law firm or barrister would have been a better placed to complete report?

9 hours ago, scram said:

What an awful tragedy. 

What this highlights is that there are some huge issues in football

There are some truly terrible people work in the game and some are very proud of being known as being "tough" - aka bullies.

It's a very difficult call to make whether somebody's behaviour crossed the line - if it was vindictive, targeted and abuse - or if it was a player/players feeling that way because they aren't being picked

I've seen both sides and seen some horrendous behaviour from managers and coaches

Sadly c*nts are not uncommon in the game

RIP Maddie

At times I felt there more black hats than white hats. Its a dog eat dog industry and the collateral damage is huge. This coach sounds like some of the c*nts I have come across in the game and you know what, they always land on their feet.

Thought I’d posted in this thread but obviously not. 

It’s awful when your job issues are linked to your mental health etc… makes you feel worried about your income/anxious about your surroundings/is somewhere you feel like you can’t escape yet need to be 

RIP Maddy 

13 hours ago, SiJ said:

He's now lost his job after further information came to light.

Make of that what you will.

And dropped by his management agency. Says it all really. Seems a right c***

• Like 1

A tragic tale which goes well beyond football, and which will be familiar to many who have experienced disproportionate pressures in the workplace which leak into personal life and all-round mental wellbeing.

The focus on individual incidents, rather than the creation of a culture and lack of caring for those who are left outside of that culture, rings true in all industries.

Yet more reason for inclusive workplaces which value the individuals within them as people and allow you to bring your whole self to work. An investigation which finds no wrong doing and leaves a family mourning their daughter and with no answers to their questions.

I am far too aware of this story, having been in an eerily similar situation which led to an attempt on my own life some years ago. Thankfully, as i look back now, it was unsuccessful (obviously...), but too few employers give proper attention to the culture they are creating.

RIP Maddy

• Love 1