Womens Game - amazing progression.

12 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

The game is going to sell out, so why would you not give the teams competing in the final more tickets?

You calling the WSL a folly says a lot more about you than the WSL.

Go on, what does it say about me.

Not that its relevant like.

• Like 1

You like 

12 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

Go on, what does it say about me.

Not that its relevant like.

Your MO is to post comments like calling the WSL a folly, and various other such statements, then pretend to get mock outrage/offence when someone calls you  a name. But then someone else has a quick look back at your posting history and exposes you as a massive hypocrite.

11 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

You like 

Your MO is to post comments like calling the WSL a folly, and various other such statements, then pretend to get mock outrage/offence when someone calls you  a name. But then someone else has a quick look back at your posting history and exposes you as a massive hypocrite.

Do you want to engage with me about womens football or continue the character assasination?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arthur Bach said:

Do you want to engage with me about womens football or continue the character assasination?

You asked me what it said about you.

I replied.

Happy to continue with the character assassination if that is what you would prefer.

You spelt assassination incorrectly.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, MSN SYSOP said:

Love watching women's league some good talent. I try to watch every game on TV and thinking about going to watch man City. 

Been to watch man city v Chelsea and man Utd when they played at old trafford  a few weeks ago. 
Highly recommend 👍🏻

Side note, England captain Leah Williamson now going to miss the World Cup and the rest of the Champions League campaign due to an ACL injury. 

The number of ACL injuries in the women's game is a real concern, I know research is being done to try and establish the exact cause ( thought to be physiology related to the pelvis?) , and how it can be mitigated for. 

A number of the worlds best players have suffered from this injury; Beth Mead and Viv Midiema are already going to miss the WC. 

It's difficult to mitigate for nature

ACL rupture in female footballers 5x more likely than their male counterparts

Increased Q angle at the knee (causing natural valgus which is often a mechanism of all ACL injuries - male and female) - this is due to wider pelvis in females. Also the amount of oestrogen in females which is a natural ligament relaxant - it also rises sharply during menstruation. I know there was some research looking into menstruation and injury prevalence but i haven't seen any data from that.

Then there is the natural lack of relative strength of the muscles which are the main dynamic protectors of all our joints

Finally (but in-depth research may throw up more causes) there is the tendency of females to hyperextend at the knee - this puts some of the fibres of the ACL on stretch (hyper-extension at the knee is another mechanism of injury that causes ruptures)

So they're heavily predisposed compared to males - and even in males the prevalence is not insignificant

TL:DR

Unlucky girls...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, scram said:

Increased Q angle at the knee (causing natural valgus which is often a mechanism of all ACL injuries - male and female) - this is due to wider pelvis in females. Also the amount of oestrogen in females which is a natural ligament relaxant - it also rises sharply during menstruation. I know there was some research looking into menstruation and injury prevalence but i haven't seen any data from that.

Then there is the natural lack of relative strength of the muscles which are the main dynamic protectors of all our joints

Finally (but in-depth research may throw up more causes) there is the tendency of females to hyperextend at the knee - this puts some of the fibres of the ACL on stretch (hyper-extension at the knee is another mechanism of injury that causes ruptures)

So they're heavily predisposed compared to males - and even in males the prevalence is not insignificant

Unlucky girls...

Makes sense. Does strength training mitigate much? 

4 hours ago, scram said:

Unlucky girls...

Very interesting   I hoped you chip on this mate!.

I wonder then, like @Ellis Rimmer, says , it's about finding training regimes and designing strengthening programmes? . I would imagine there's some top professionals in the industry working on this. 

Targeted strength training is the current mainstay of ACL injury "prevention"

I saw quite a few years ago that England netball were training the girls to hyper-develop the hamstrings - the hamstrings can act as a pseudo ACL and prevent the tibia (shinbone) translating forward during movement. I don't know the outcome on whether they had good results or even if they continued doing it though

The issue with strength training is that is very hard to do in multi-planar movement - which is how and why most ACL ruptures occur (bent knee, bent hip, knee rotated and shifted inwards (toward the opposite leg - valgus) - if not corrected and stabilised instantly it rapidly moves to the "position of no return" when the ACL is fully exposed and subsequently fails

Another big issue is the complexity of growth with the pre and pubescent female players - the dynamics of the joint change rapidly especially during the major growth spurt of peak height velocity - this makes it impossible for the muscles to be as protective as they cannot adapt as quickly as the joint geometry changes

Highest risk category for injury is to have had the same injury previously...

So many girls will be starting out their senior career already having suffered at least one (often more) ACL ruptures

I used to do quite a bit of replicated single leg stance work with them - drop jumps on single leg from varying heights - high hop and stick - long hop and stick etc to try to train the muscles to become adaptive and "switch on" in similar situations.

I did some consultancy work for a PL womens academy team just over a year ago - they had 3 ACL ruptures in one season in their u18 group

I saw 2 in around 10 years in a PL mens u18 group...

• Love 1

On 21/04/2023 at 17:14, scram said:

Unlucky girls...

Very interesting read, thanks.

So, even if the female game progresses more significantly, it's highly unlikely clubs will ever invest the sort of fees and wages on female footballers due to such increased risk of serious injury?

I'm a bit more cynical than that tbh

I think for the women's game to start getting heavier investment it needs to drive that investment for itself

If it can bring the moeny in then for sure clubs will go with it 

Injury risk is always there - like mens football the best teams have the biggest squads of quality players

I see England skipper Leah Williamson has sadly ruptured her ACL now

14 hours ago, BridportOwl said:

I was only half listening to the radio the other day (so I cannot guarantee if I heard everything correctly) but I think they were saying that football boots need to be designed differently for women. 

It is possible as mechanically the adult female body is generally different to males. 

The wider hips makes a difference to the way the legs can move so maybe the boots account for this.

... or maybe it's rounduns

7 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

It is possible as mechanically the adult female body is generally different to males. 

The wider hips makes a difference to the way the legs can move so maybe the boots account for this.

... or maybe it's rounduns

Don't think it's those. Mind you, you never know these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The one thing the WSL has is that it is relatively competitive.

image.png.9d7d7beca28a8d259fe7fa3e7152d12e.png

However in Scotland there are 3 clubs head and shoulders above the other teams, can see people losing interest very quickly if their club isnt one of the top 3.

image.png.0446ffa54376d2dc9ff3089fee5986f5.png