Womens Game - amazing progression.

10 years ago  1'400 spectators watched  Arsenal v Wolfsberg in the WCL semi final.

In early May that fixture takes place again, at the Emirates,  and 42'000 tickets have already bern sold.

I think that is incredible progression in the game, the Euros bounce has continued..it's getting towards mens games attendances now.

• Like 4

meh, it's a similar price to my local non league side, but in London at the emirates. Can't see it going much further than that to be honest. 

When you make entertainment super cheap in London people snap it up, I've seen club rugby get 80k in London with cheap tickets and marketing. 

• Like 1

Either super cheap or giving the tickets away Ive heard though 

Alhough at least its a cheap day out, neats paying the money we pay to watch third division football officiated by idiots. Ironically the best ref weve seen (Derby) this season was a woman .

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DCFCOwls said:

Either super cheap or giving the tickets away Ive heard though 

Alhough at least its a cheap day out, neats paying the money we pay to watch third division football officiated by idiots. Ironically the best ref weve seen (Derby) this season was a woman .

That is not ironic.

Undoubtedly the womens game has come on leaps and bounds - but these anomalous stats don't paint the general picture 

There can be some big crowds at games - novelty games in the main stadium - often during mens international breaks - with decently priced tickets

It also has to be said that no team in the womens top flight come close to regularly selling out their games in the non-league stadiums they generally play in - i believe Reading WFC play in The Majdeski

Attendances are well up on last season but the average is greatly skewed by hosting some big games at the main stadiums - but it is growing undeniably

The issue is with money - the womens game is greatly subsidised by the clubs - and there are plenty of mutterings that the womens game is underfunded and the players underpaid - but if they cannot bring in the revenue themselves then where is the money coming from?

The big wealthy clubs can (and do) reach into their vast pockets and just pour cash into their womens teams - but this is creating a real 2 tier system with the lesser funded clubs not being competitive

Against that the womens england team is taking on something of iconic status who always now enjoy tremendous support when they play home games

It's a growing game and it will be interesting to see where it plateau's - or if it has now peaked?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

meh, it's a similar price to my local non league side, but in London at the emirates. Can't see it going much further than that to be honest. 

When you make entertainment super cheap in London people snap it up, I've seen club rugby get 80k in London with cheap tickets and marketing. 

I didn't clock that..£6 is a absolute steal to watch anything at the Emirates. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, scram said:

Undoubtedly the womens game has come on leaps and bounds - but these anomalous stats don't paint the general picture 

There can be some big crowds at games - novelty games in the main stadium - often during mens international breaks - with decently priced tickets

It also has to be said that no team in the womens top flight come close to regularly selling out their games in the non-league stadiums they generally play in - i believe Reading WFC play in The Majdeski

Attendances are well up on last season but the average is greatly skewed by hosting some big games at the main stadiums - but it is growing undeniably

The issue is with money - the womens game is greatly subsidised by the clubs - and there are plenty of mutterings that the womens game is underfunded and the players underpaid - but if they cannot bring in the revenue themselves then where is the money coming from?

The big wealthy clubs can (and do) reach into their vast pockets and just pour cash into their womens teams - but this is creating a real 2 tier system with the lesser funded clubs not being competitive

Against that the womens england team is taking on something of iconic status who always now enjoy tremendous support when they play home games

It's a growing game and it will be interesting to see where it plateau's - or if it has now peaked?

I think that would be the concern for those involved in the game. 

I'm not sure what times the World Cup games will be , but it will be early morning I suspect -  6pm  in Aus is  09:00 a.m. in the UK  google tells me,  so might be some early mornings for families wanting to watch. 

If England do well and there is the same amount of media attention as there was for the Euros, then that should hold the interest that is currently ongoing. 

12 hours ago, scram said:

Exactly this.

Until the big boys such as Sky, BT and the likes are willing to spunk billions of pounds into the broadcasting rights (And what ever else is included) the "equal pay" will never happen. Likewise, until the women's games are selling out 40, 50, 80K crowds week in, week out at full price (Extortionate prices). 

Then there is all the other income such as certain players generating huge amounts of money through sponsorship, shirt sales and other merchandise.

Our men's teams don't get paid handsomely through the generosity of a clubs owner or the decision of the fans. It's all from the above (And more), with the extra funding coming from an ambitious owners who's hoping to achieve something that will bring more income into the club. 

As it stands the women's game is just dominated by the big boys funding the women's side. If their wages, transfer fee's agent fee's etc start hitting similar to the mens, the owners would drop them instantly. 

Talking of attendances, I have just looked at Arsenal ladies. Their figures are all over the place!

Fri 16 Sep    Brighton & Hove Albion        3,238
Sat 24 Sep    Tottenham Hotspur        47,367
Sun 30 Oct    West Ham United        3,988
Sat 19 Nov    Manchester United        40,604
Sat 3 Dec    Everton        3,935
Sun 15 Jan    Chelsea        46,881
Thu 26 Jan    Aston Villa        n/a
Sun 29 Jan    Leeds        n/a
Wed 8 Feb    Manchester City        n/a
Sun 5 Mar    Chelsea        n/a
Wed 8 Mar    Liverpool        3,554
Sun 12 Mar    Reading        3,964
Sun 2 Apr    Manchester City        3,980

It is a given that when you market something you give out free tickets to get punters through the door, even if only 10% of people who got a free ticket then came back and paid then that would be a decent first step. Not sure why some folks are sneering at the free tickets. 

• Like 1