Scottish football to ban heading of the ball in training

9 minutes ago, vulva said:

You can’t stop heading in football without fundamentally changing the game. Those advocating it want their bumps feeling. How does MMA etc get away with that as a sport. 

MMA and Boxing have very few fights, with medical supervision and monitoring in between.

F1 gets slowed down and rules changed every year in the name of safety. If you ahd said no fuel pitstops to someone in the 80s or 90s, they'd have laughed at you as it was an integral part of the sport.

The more research on CTE, the worse it gets, as well as starts a lot earlier than thought.

The thing is though, would it really make the game much worse?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

MMA and Boxing have very few fights, with medical supervision and monitoring in between.

F1 gets slowed down and rules changed every year in the name of safety. If you ahd said no fuel pitstops to someone in the 80s or 90s, they'd have laughed at you as it was an integral part of the sport.

The more research on CTE, the worse it gets, as well as starts a lot earlier than thought.

The thing is though, would it really make the game much worse?

Yes it would. It would turn into tippy tappy nonsense that no one would watch. South Korea scored a brilliant headed goal yesterday that lit the game up. 

If people perceive a risk in playing football and potentially heading the ball, then don’t play it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vulva said:

Yes it would. It would turn into tippy tappy nonsense that no one would watch. South Korea scored a brilliant headed goal yesterday that lit the game up. 

If people perceive a risk in playing football and potentially heading the ball, then don’t play it. 

That's the thing, once the research is done, nobody will play.

Parents will push talented kids to other sports and standards will drop.

It's going to happen. Soon kids football will ban heading, gradually it will be removed at amateur adult level, then the pros will follow suit.

• Like 1

Just now, Tewkesbury said:

That's the thing, once the research is done, nobody will play.

Parents will push talented kids to other sports and standards will drop.

It's going to happen. Soon kids football will ban heading, gradually it will be removed at amateur adult level, then the pros will follow suit.

If you ban heading in football you might as well never leave the house. I don’t doubt the research or the minimal risk, but let people make a choice. And I think when given that choice they will carry on as they have. I’m involved in junior football and you get a bigger cheer for a decent header than you do for a goal. It’s part of the game and has been for hundreds of years. Every activity carries a risk. 

Lots of professional sports teams take precautions for their players during training and preseason drills. Safeguards their assets (no pun intended) and makes room in the treatment room for more serious injuries. Don't see such measures making its way into actual matches but if it's only for some training sessions (not all training sessions), nothing lost. NFL teams do walk-through drills and have no pads practice during the regular season for similar reasons. Better for younger tikes to save them from injuries and long term issues. 

58 minutes ago, vulva said:

If you ban heading in football you might as well never leave the house. I don’t doubt the research or the minimal risk, but let people make a choice. And I think when given that choice they will carry on as they have. I’m involved in junior football and you get a bigger cheer for a decent header than you do for a goal. It’s part of the game and has been for hundreds of years. Every activity carries a risk. 

Is the risk minimal though.

There are signs now that CTE happens in american football as early as high school.

The only reason the studies are slow is it sometimes can only be detected after death, but as it gets more attention, more sportsmen are allowing testimg after death.

As for kids, even if there is any risk, is it worth it? For a game?

I'll bet they'll love it if in 20 years the research is as bad as it's looking to be, knowing that their parents could have stopped it but didn't because they headed the ball in the 90s and can't adapt to change.

• Haha 1

Banning heading the day before and after matches won't make a shyte of difference to the heading competence of players

It might give the old grey matter a bit of respite though

Edited by scram
  • Thanks 2