How will football turn out?

I honestly think that you'll see the EFL go full streaming before the EPL do.

If you look at the US market for streaming services, it is massively oversaturated and most services are making massive losses. Many things, especially sports, have become loss leaders, taking big loses now in the hope of building a subscriber base going forward.

A classic example of this is Peacock in the US paying $1B for five years of rights to the WWE Network. The network when it was run by WWE had about a million US subscribers, so they paid about $1000 per subscriber. Given that most Peacock users only pay $5 a month, and some get it for free, they won't even see a third of that back. But it is a lost leader to try and get more people to sample their Service.

Assuming UK services take the same approach, they'll be willing to pay over the odds too and it is the less popular sports or leagues that it is easiest to do that with.

Sky are desperate to hold onto their dwindling number of customers so will also fight tooth and nail to keep the PL, so I think the Streaming services will find it easier to outbid them for EFL rights, even if they won't make a profit on the deal.

Guest Whittonowl

The better off clubs will do it themselves. It’s already started. They will lease the highlights to beeb or itv or even sky. The lower leagues will end up with a godawful compromise not unlike the scene now. Enjoy it while you can. It will change. 

3 hours ago, Onge said:

I have never had a Sky subscription and never plan to. They've been extremely damaging to football in this country and I refuse to be a part of it.

Simon Jordan said something along the lines that the EPL should just set up their own global streaming platform and cut out the middle man. All matches available to stream (no 3pm blackout) anywhere in the world on a "Netflix of Premier League football" with no need for Sky or Amazon at all. I still wouldn't buy it mind you, but I can why it makes sense...

I'm with you. Money and greed have ruined the sport. Can't remember when I last watched a televised match that didn't involve Wednesday. In fact if it wasn't for Wednesday I probably wouldn't even bother with football.

• Like 2

If sky lose the rights (hopefully)

And a football netflix isn't possible 

Then I hope Amazon get the deal 

Amazon are brilliant with live matches 

Make sky look like cowboys 

Edited by Luke

6 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

I think the current league structure of PL + 4 EFL sides is on its last legs and that English football is due a reckoning. 

I think the European Super League will resurface in a couple of years and this time it won't fail. There will be a reaction-proof commitment with the clubs involved, broadcasters and sponsors etc and some fluffy concessions provided to those who kicked up the most fuss last time. Football in this country will have to re-structure itself and not every club in the EFL will survive. 

Next thing is that the champions league suddenly includes top 5 from each league and 5 guest teams from rest of the world. Suddenly you have a global super league. The PL slowly becomes 7 days a week, eventually Champions league pulls up the drawbridge no relegation  and current  PL becomes part of  EFL again.

I think sky tv  is dying off now 

less commercial places have it they got too greedy and priced a lot out 

more people taking it out of their homes 

with Amazon prime Netflix Disney smart TVs with Free view and YouTube and of course dodgy boxes 

people can get good TV now or adequate TV to satisfy their viewing needs for much less 

I took sky out of my commercial sites and home during lockdown I’d never go back 

and they are offering deals every month for me to return 

they are losing their market share at an alarming pace 

and it’s there for someone to come and take sports off them 

especially in next 5 years in my opinion 

Never understood the hatred for Sky

They have given the vast majority of supporters the chance to watch far far more live games than they would ever do without Sky.

Yes, occasionally the minority are inconvenienced by changes in KO times but thats what you get for the money they are paying. It's not Sky's fault that the majority of clubs have channeled that money in to players pockets

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ian said:

Never understood the hatred for Sky

They have given the vast majority of supporters the chance to watch far far more live games than they would ever do without Sky.

Yes, occasionally the minority are inconvenienced by changes in KO times but thats what you get for the money they are paying. It's not Sky's fault that the majority of clubs have channeled that money in to players pockets

This is so true

Imagine if clubs had invested that money into the infrastructure, catering, stadium, technology etc

Football would be light years ahead of where it is now as an experience for fans, casual fans and neutrals

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

On 27/06/2022 at 09:52, WalworthOwl said:

is is a worldwide trend.  In France the top teams used to include the coal town of Lens and the steel town St Etienne while PSG were a joke, that's swapped now.  In Germany there were top sides from the Ruhr industrial area, now the team from the commercial centre Munich wins everything

Never realised that mate. Very interesting, and sadly only too believable.

On 26/06/2022 at 23:56, @owlstalk said:

I can see Sky losing the rights to broadcast and it being snapped up by someone like Apple or Amazon sometime soon

What do you reckon?

Stream every game home and away probably via someone like Netflix or Amazon, isn't that what Simon Jordan is saying?