How will football turn out?

Streaming is the future. So yes Sky will lose and a streaming platform will win (eventually). Netflix are struggling a bit with lost subscribers and Football would give them a unique product? Might be a few more seasons but Sky will eventually lose the rights IMO. 

Streaming is coming. 

It's inevitable imo. 

The current broadcasting model is pretty archaic really. Heck, Sky themselves run a streaming service these days with Now TV. 

26 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Streaming is the future. So yes Sky will lose and a streaming platform will win (eventually). Netflix are struggling a bit with lost subscribers and Football would give them a unique product? Might be a few more seasons but Sky will eventually lose the rights IMO. 

Probably why Sky are moving towards streaming with Sky Glass. Not be long before dishes are obsolete.

Not sure how Apple, Amazon or Netflix would improve things personally. Likely just be another obscene amount of money being hogged by the few to the detriment of the rest.

• Like 2

Sky, Amazon, Apple, etc are middle men between the players and the supporters.

The insane money that goes into football is from people paying to watch it (mostly on tv/streaming). Most of the insane money then goes to the players. You could say that the players are just getting the rewards their popularity deserves.

The insanity has two big downsides: (a) matches are arranged more and more for the convenience of TV watchers and not proper fans, (b) most people want to watch the top few clubs on TV, so just a few clubs get an insane amount of the insane money.

The concentration of money at the top will continue if it's left to market forces. Governments, Football Associations, FIFA are nervous about intervening in negotiations between players and clubs, clubs and streamers, because if market forces are allowed to set the earnings of everyone else why should footballers be any different?

But there are arguments for intervention: to counteract the downsides noted above, and because the players are not just getting the fruits of their own skills, they're earning from the history and local connection of their clubs too. I'd love to see salary caps.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'd love to see Sky fall flat on it's arse 

So would I. It's the way of the world, Sky are no longer innovators and their proposition outdated and as poor value for money as it has ever been. I binned them off about 5 years ago. 

As for football, it will eventually become a steaming, on demand sport as discussed in the previous ifollow threads. 

Not necessarily better, but different and inevitable it follows the online path of other broadcasting.

Fully expecting streaming of games sooner rather than later. The technology is there along with the infrastructure.

Be is sky or another provider, you will be able to watch any game live (certainly EPL wise) from the comfort of your own home. 

I expect clubs to push it next time they try and push a European super league.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I can see Sky losing the rights to broadcast and it being snapped up by someone like Apple or Amazon sometime soon

What do you reckon?

Agree.

Maybe not in the next few years but eventually it'll happen.

I think it'll go the the way it is here in the USA, this or that broadcasting company will get the rights to broadcast this or that sport, but only for a certain length of time,  there will be no perpetual monopoly on broadcasting rights.

Being able to watch a game on TV has in no way diminished live attendance at the stadia,  which are still full,  if anything there is even greater demand for gameday tickets,  which has driven the price of tickets WAY up.  I speak, of course, about the NFL...which I don't follow anyway.

6 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Probably why Sky are moving towards streaming with Sky Glass. Not be long before dishes are obsolete.

Not sure how Apple, Amazon or Netflix would improve things personally. Likely just be another obscene amount of money being hogged by the few to the detriment of the rest.

I thought dishes were obsolete

8 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Probably Amazon Prime and 6:15pm kick offs for night Prem matches (then also a 8:15pm one) 

I don’t think they’d want the EFL as it’s nowhere near as global 

Money talks so whoever has the money really…

Which raises an interesting point. If the EFL doesn't have to feed off the scraps left on the floor from Sky's deal with the EPL, then could Sky turn their attention purely towards the EFL? And if so, how would this affect the money coming in?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, camffiti said:

Will anyone want the rights to the FL? 

Are Quest TV still interested? 

Quest lost the highlights package to ITV who have now lost live coverage of England games. Having lost that and champions league football in recent years maybe they could look into getting some live EFL.

Guest hirstysfags

"fizz Sky"

How may of you have dishes bolted to the side of your house and watch transmissions from Sky? Be honest.....

1 minute ago, hirstysfags said:

"fizz Sky"

How may of you have dishes bolted to the side of your house and watch transmissions from Sky? Be honest.....

I just cancelled my entire subscription 

don’t watch it anymore other than the odd Wednesday match 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop