How will football turn out?

9 hours ago, WalworthOwl said:

insanity has two big downsides: (a) matches are arranged more and more for the convenience of TV watchers and not proper fans, (b) most people want to watch the top few clubs on TV, so just a few clubs get an insane amount of the insane money

The problem isnt a few clubs getting an insane amount of money. Its that poorly supported shxt clubs get an insane amount of money just for being in the same league as the big clubs just to provide competition. 

The big TV audience wants big clubs. Leave em to it and let them do the Euro Super League. Lets have a league with clubs based around merit. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Probably Amazon Prime and 6:15pm kick offs for night Prem matches (then also a 8:15pm one) 

I don’t think they’d want the EFL as it’s nowhere near as global 

Money talks so whoever has the money really…

The Amazon coverage of their matches was great AND their football show blasted Soccer Saturday out of the water with one live match and cutting to all the other matches to show goals / incidents...it's the future 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Nero said:

The problem isnt a few clubs getting an insane amount of money. Its that poorly supported shxt clubs get an insane amount of money just for being in the same league as the big clubs just to provide competition. 

The big TV audience wants big clubs. Leave em to it and let them do the Euro Super League. Lets have a league with clubs based around merit. 

Personally I wouldn't like Wednesday to be in a competition separated from the best teams, I want to keep the dream of getting back amongst them.  And I hate to admit it but I do like watching Liverpool, Man City etc.  It's enjoyable like going to an art gallery, totally different from the emotional experience of watching Wednesday which sometimes isn't even enjoyable, but some of today's football is fantastic.

I agree that one of the worst things about being out of the PL is seeing what were little clubs - Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth - up there.  But they've been there above us on merit.  Sadly, because gate money has become a smaller part of club revenue a financial backer becomes a bigger factor, so the advantage of the clubs in the old industrial cities with mass fan bases has gone and the clubs in places where billionaires live are doing better.  This is a worldwide trend.  In France the top teams used to include the coal town of Lens and the steel town St Etienne while PSG were a joke, that's swapped now.  In Germany there were top sides from the Ruhr industrial area, now the team from the commercial centre Munich wins everything.  

But fans and passion are still important, we have an owner with money, I'd love us to get back into the PL ahead of those South Coast teams.

• Love 1

The sooner people stop paying extortionate prices, the sooner the game will go back to its roots.

Whilst people pay £50+ to go to the match, and pay £100+/month for their sky TV packages, football clubs and sky will continue to charge it.

The sooner people switch to iptv the better.

To answer the original question, I see it going down the Amazon route. I dont really see any other way. And they have endless resources in order to make it happen.

On a relayed topic, does anyone know, or could anyone take an educated guess as to how many Prem clubs actually make money each season? I'd assume very few. Take the rich owners away, and 80%+ of clubs would go under. Why? Because all the money goes to agents and players now.

11 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Probably Amazon Prime and 6:15pm kick offs for night Prem matches (then also a 8:15pm one) 

I don’t think they’d want the EFL as it’s nowhere near as global 

Money talks so whoever has the money really…

3pm Premier League games are becoming less and less frequent.

A real drawback to being in the PL.

Not that we will have to worry bout that.

I think the current league structure of PL + 4 EFL sides is on its last legs and that English football is due a reckoning. 

I think the European Super League will resurface in a couple of years and this time it won't fail. There will be a reaction-proof commitment with the clubs involved, broadcasters and sponsors etc and some fluffy concessions provided to those who kicked up the most fuss last time. Football in this country will have to re-structure itself and not every club in the EFL will survive. 

6 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I think the current league structure of PL + 4 EFL sides is on its last legs and that English football is due a reckoning. 

I think the European Super League will resurface in a couple of years and this time it won't fail. There will be a reaction-proof commitment with the clubs involved, broadcasters and sponsors etc and some fluffy concessions provided to those who kicked up the most fuss last time. Football in this country will have to re-structure itself and not every club in the EFL will survive. 

These financial rules will change things a lot.

It's an end to chancers buying a club, funding a promotion squad by loaning the club money, then creaming the profits through loan repayments.

Under these rules, we wouldn't have been penalised, as Chansiri could have put money in without messing with the ground and sponsorship, Derby wouldn't have happened as Morris' injections wouldn't have strings attached.

It also stipulated debt repayment timings so debts can't build up, the taxman gets paid straight away.

It's essentially SCMP that we're under now in L1 and 2, which is actually a pretty good set of rules.

The ESL is finished, UEFA have just replicated it with the new ECL format, so it's not needed.

3 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Quest lost the highlights package to ITV who have now lost live coverage of England games. Having lost that and champions league football in recent years maybe they could look into getting some live EFL.

ITV Digital? :duntmatter:

1 hour ago, WalworthOwl said:

Personally I wouldn't like Wednesday to be in a competition separated from the best teams, I want to keep the dream of getting back amongst them.  And I hate to admit it but I do like watching Liverpool, Man City etc.  It's enjoyable like going to an art gallery, totally different from the emotional experience of watching Wednesday which sometimes isn't even enjoyable, but some of today's football is fantastic.

I agree that one of the worst things about being out of the PL is seeing what were little clubs - Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth - up there.  But they've been there above us on merit.  Sadly, because gate money has become a smaller part of club revenue a financial backer becomes a bigger factor, so the advantage of the clubs in the old industrial cities with mass fan bases has gone and the clubs in places where billionaires live are doing better.  This is a worldwide trend.  In France the top teams used to include the coal town of Lens and the steel town St Etienne while PSG were a joke, that's swapped now.  In Germany there were top sides from the Ruhr industrial area, now the team from the commercial centre Munich wins everything.  

But fans and passion are still important, we have an owner with money, I'd love us to get back into the PL ahead of those South Coast teams.

Some astute and erudite observations in this post and whilst, from a fundamental, emotional even, point of view I am at odds with you, I have to doff my cap to you and this post.

57 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I think this is a massive threat.

In particular, if the top six in the premiership establish themselves so new clubs can't break in, not many will bother watching games between the top six and the rest of the premiership, so the passion to keep the football pyramid and the history of the game won't be there to stop the ESL next time.

As I've been arguing, governments and regulators can act to keep football competitive, but they're fighting global economic forces and it won't be an easy fight.

49 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

The ESL is finished, UEFA have just replicated it with the new ECL format, so it's not needed.

You have a lot more faith in the end of unrelenting greed and power grabbing in this sport than I do. 

4 hours ago, hirstysfags said:

"fizz Sky"

How may of you have dishes bolted to the side of your house and watch transmissions from Sky? Be honest.....

I have never had a Sky subscription and never plan to. They've been extremely damaging to football in this country and I refuse to be a part of it.

Simon Jordan said something along the lines that the EPL should just set up their own global streaming platform and cut out the middle man. All matches available to stream (no 3pm blackout) anywhere in the world on a "Netflix of Premier League football" with no need for Sky or Amazon at all. I still wouldn't buy it mind you, but I can why it makes sense...

13 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

You have a lot more faith in the end of unrelenting greed and power grabbing in this sport than I do. 

Have you seen the new ECL format?

It's going to be a 36 team league instead of the group stages.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/0268-12157d69ce2d-9f011c70f6fa-1000--new-format-for-champions-league-post-2024-everything-you-need-t/