Which managers from the past could succeed now?

9 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Just some interesting stuff.

If you listen to Under the Cosh the amount of ex players that praise Alan Irvine as being one of the best coaches they've ever worked for is scary. It seems he is one of the most liked and admired managers in the football league. 

Brian Laws has often been described as being the manager of a summer camp. Michael Gray couldn't believe the lack of professionalism and how much the players had a say over Laws. 

Also never heard a positive word said about Howard Wilkinson from ex players. 

Irvine is widely regarded as a top coach.

I think he's even accepted himself he's a coach and not a manager.

Laws did well while he was here but once it started going south you knew he couldn't pick it up again. Think some choose to remember all the positives and none of the negatives with Laws and do the opposite with others. (Personally don't think Gray came across that well on his Undr The Cosh podcast from memory to be honest).

• Like 1

Guest FoxOwl12
14 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Just some interesting stuff.

If you listen to Under the Cosh the amount of ex players that praise Alan Irvine as being one of the best coaches they've ever worked for is scary. It seems he is one of the most liked and admired managers in the football league. 

Brian Laws has often been described as being the manager of a summer camp. Michael Gray couldn't believe the lack of professionalism and how much the players had a say over Laws. 

Also never heard a positive word said about Howard Wilkinson from ex players. 

Wilkinsons' philosophy was to get the ball into the final third as quickly as possible, which meant hoofing it over the midfielders, who may as well stayed in the dressing room. Boring rubbish. I stopped going while he was manager. 

I’ll go for Monk 

Very strange what happened with him here, started off really well and had us 3rd at the half way point in 2019….. then only the people within the club know what went off after that, but I’m sure there’s a decent manager in there somewhere 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For me Ronny Atkinson when he was there I didn’t miss a match home and away when getting promoted straight back up. If it weren’t for draws we would have won it.The team he assembled was unbelievable. Always remember West Brom away chanting Ron Atkinson barmy army for an hour and the chaos when we scored two in last minute brilliant memories.

• Love 1

On 01/06/2022 at 04:27, FoxOwl12 said:

Wilkinsons' philosophy was to get the ball into the final third as quickly as possible, which meant hoofing it over the midfielders, who may as well stayed in the dressing room. Boring rubbish. I stopped going while he was manager. 

Presumably you'd started again by the time he won the title at L##ds...

Guest FoxOwl12
On 02/06/2022 at 20:08, swfc4_sufc0 said:

Presumably you'd started again by the time he won the title at L##ds...

Yes. And it still didn't alter my opinion.

On 01/06/2022 at 18:38, Django said:

I’ll go for Monk 

Very strange what happened with him here, started off really well and had us 3rd at the half way point in 2019….. then only the people within the club know what went off after that, but I’m sure there’s a decent manager in there somewhere 

He’s the worst of the lot. Absolutely appalling manager!