Which managers from the past could succeed now?

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Even someone like Bruce who everyone felt was a cracking choice just over 3 years ago feels like he is past it now.

Pulis, Bruce, Sam Allardyce, Mick Macarthy even Neil Warnock all been really good managers over the years but modern football has now caught them up.

they’re just all old now.

In every era there’s ever been, managers retire.

All of them at 40 years old would still succeed.

As you get older you lose that edge, a bit of drive and the gap in age between you and the players becomes a bit too much - that’s all it is. Knock 20 years off them all and they’d still smash it.

Like I said before they’d adapt.

• Like 2

Just some interesting stuff.

If you listen to Under the Cosh the amount of ex players that praise Alan Irvine as being one of the best coaches they've ever worked for is scary. It seems he is one of the most liked and admired managers in the football league. 

Brian Laws has often been described as being the manager of a summer camp. Michael Gray couldn't believe the lack of professionalism and how much the players had a say over Laws. 

Also never heard a positive word said about Howard Wilkinson from ex players. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

What do you think? Who do you think (when they were in their prime) could still succeed in todays footballing world as manager of our club?

Howard Wilkinson?

Big Ron?

Danny Wilson?

The one, the only, SIR JACK.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I don't think any of them would succeed in todays football.

Not that Wilkinson, Charlton and Atkinson were not good managers but they were from a different era.

Rollockings, boozy nights out were an integral parr of the culture than which have gone forever.

Plus the managers of the past had 100% control over transfers, scouting networks which was a key strength of someone like Atkinson which you would not have anymore.

Brian Clough was a complete one off even in his own era. 
I don't think it was fear more sheer strength of personality and charisma that got the best out of players, plus his assistant Pater Taylor was brilliant at spotting players others hadn't.

Clough techniques wouldn't work in modern football and in todays social media world he would have to be a lot more diplomatic then was his nature.

Mourinho has a touch of Clough about him I think. If you’re one of his trusted players then he’ll make you feel like the best player on the planet but he’s also not afraid to call you out in public if you’re not doing it for him. It’s rather a scorched earth policy and wouldn’t work at every club.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Howard Wilkinson? - absolutely yes. he had a good football brain, and always had the fittest squad in the league, which would help us now.

Big Ron? - also absolutely yes. a real man managers, who reelied a lot on his coaching staff, so I dont see why not.

Danny Wilson? - behave

6 hours ago, swfc4_sufc0 said:

Do you mean with the current finances?

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

either / or really mate - just in general

Problem is finance is just about everything. Wilkinson with Carlos' budget would have us in Europe in 4 seasons, for example.

:ghoulguy:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Nah, the best managers are smart and they would adapt.

Clough managed by fear because it worked.

in an era where you needed a different approach he’d have done it.

Good post.

Essentially this is what we are debating.

2 of the 3 mentioned in the original post were very good managers. The other is Danny Wilson 😂

IMO the good managers adapt and move with the times. I really think Ron and Wilko would have done that.

Big Jack came in we got what were given ,We accepted the club had no money  we used our youth and slowly but surely moved forward helped by a Brilliant scout Jacks mate John Harris ,Bannister and Shelton  Megson  and Curran to name just a few . But lets not forget the local lads ,We were patient fans then but trusted Jack .For me i always liked seeing the local lads spoke to a few down town  nice lads with the club at heart ,No big time charlies the club meant something to them .Best times followed by Howard .

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Fuzzy logics said:

Not the best record in the role, as such, but Stuart would be good.

Both of our BIG managers were winners and would have adapted to modern tactics and been successful. 

Oh, and Carlos 🕵️‍♂️

• Haha 1